Please help me identify this button with original thread

dicen-n-slicen

I found this button on a Civil War battlefield. It is all metal but does have the original thread, which is much thicker than todays thread. I haven't cleaned it but I don't think there are any markings on it. It may be before the Civil War. I am new to metal detecting and this site, so any help will be appreciated. This is the only button I have found, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Attachments

• IMG_3179.jpg
    IMG_3179.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_3180.jpg
    IMG_3180.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 211
hey

Well, I am nervous the thread will fall out. There is some dirt that is helping hold the thread in. Even if it is a plain metal button, it was still fun digging it. It could still be civil war couldn't it?? I figure some of their clothing had plain metal buttons. Well, I am heading to bed. I hope it doesn't rain us out tomorrow. Maybe we will find some neat stuff at that fort.

If the button is civil war era or prior, the fiber is certainly natural. IOW, cotton or wool or some such. In fact, it does look like wool to me.

And that raises a question: HOW does natural fiber survive for 150 yrs in eastern US soil conditions? It seems highly improbable.

Organic material can be naturally preserved for centuries and even millenniae in extremely dry climates such as desert, extremely cold climates (which also happen to be extremely dry DUE to the cold) such as the antarctic and siberia, or in anaerobic (which tends to be naturally antibiotic) environments such as peat bogs. The eastern US tends towards being moderately wet, temperate and biotically aggressive, so organic material breaks down very quickly. It's true that keratins (wool is keratin, cotton is not) last the longest of organic material, but I wouldn't expect even that to last more than a couple of years in the ground.

The fiber in your photo also appears rather "clean" and almost fluffy, as opposed to the flat and matted appearance one might expect from decomposing natural fiber.

So my wild guess is that it's a modern artificial fiber. Perhaps a metal button from a woman's sweater that was lost only a few years back.

If the button is civil war era or prior, the fiber is certainly natural. IOW, cotton or wool or some such. In fact, it does look like wool to me.

And that raises a question: HOW does natural fiber survive for 150 yrs in eastern US soil conditions? It seems highly improbable.

Organic material can be naturally preserved for centuries and even millenniae in extremely dry climates such as desert, extremely cold climates (which also happen to be extremely dry DUE to the cold) such as the antarctic and siberia, or in anaerobic (which tends to be naturally antibiotic) environments such as peat bogs. The eastern US tends towards being moderately wet, temperate and biotically aggressive, so organic material breaks down very quickly. It's true that keratins (wool is keratin, cotton is not) last the longest of organic material, but I wouldn't expect even that to last more than a couple of years in the ground.

The fiber in your photo also appears rather "clean" and almost fluffy, as opposed to the flat and matted appearance one might expect from decomposing natural fiber.

So my wild guess is that it's a modern artificial fiber. Perhaps a metal button from a woman's sweater that was lost only a few years back.

Agreed!

the fiber does look like knitting yarn (wool or synthetic) and doesn't appear to be more than a few years old

Back
Top Bottom