Anyone know what this is?

Geez

Elite Member
I'm beginning to think my property is covering up an old landfill.:lol:
My Vaquero picked this up at about 14". It was facing up and I had pinpointed the center of it. As I widened the hole I thought at first it was a hubcap.
I'm thinking maybe the door or side panel to an old woodburner or something. It is about 10 by 16 inches. Cast ferrous metal about 1/8" thick. The number 22 is cast into the back.

Attachments

• 002 (Copy).JPG
    002 (Copy).JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 662
Looks like a "Hole lotta digging to me." :lol: Not sure what it could be.......maybe a decorative column plate like those on brick gate entryways??? :?:
Interesting find though! Thanks for sharing.
joe

At first glance I thought it to be a part of a ceiling fasade?????

Attachments

• barley-browns-1.jpg
    barley-browns-1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 537
Pretty. Ever see how people use things like this for garden decor or elsewhere decor?

I've been googling antique stove pics so much my eyes are twitching. :lol:
I agree with a couple of you guys in that it sure looks like a warming oven door on a cookstove or a side panel on a box stove. Maybe I'll have to excavate the rest of the yard for more parts. :shock::lol:
I've seen some of those ceiling tiles befor but those are generally stamped metal, not cast, nor near that heavy. I can just imagine one like mine falling off the ceiling. :shock:
And as for decorations, SWMBO has already suggested a couple things she'd like to do with it but I really don't want my yard looking like something from a Road Warrior movie so I'd rather not open that door. :roll:
Thanks to everyone for your input.

It's very possibly a part of the facade of an old building ... here's a couple links for decorative metal work from the Victorian era.

http://www.architecturaliron.com/gallery/building_page_03.htm
http://www.urbanremainschicago.com/item.aspx?itemID=2096

Interesting possibility, but I live on an old farm site, a long ways away from town. I just can't see someone transporting it from town just to end up tossing it into what appears to be a small dumping spot and burying it.
Probably just a part from an old burned out woodstove.

Back
Top Bottom