Out of place item: Flint?

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
I went for a hunt out at the site of Fort Atkinson after it was plowed. This is the site where I found a grooved hammer awhile back. I found this piece that seemed out of place. I often see a few river rocks but this looked out of place. Any idea what it is? I also found a small piece of pipe. The Indian Head is for size comparison.

732009.jpg

Looks like a piece of rock that was worked on or a chip off of a piece that was worked on????

I believe flint is typically darker/black. Looks like some sort of quartz maybe? Definitely worked by someone.

Really hard to tell with artifact type tools, Either a scraper as stated before or a piece that just broke off a larger rock after being hit by something, would be my guess..Still neat looking.

Could be a flake taken from a host rock it has definately been worked coud be a scraper or a butcher blade. Howard

Could have been a nicer piece (scraper) that was hit by the plow and is now a little more irregular. Arrowheads will usually be flat or fairly flat on both sides, not as triangular shaped. I have found some like this one in Texas.

chert

this is a chert flake,it is debatage or debri from the manufacturing of arrow heads and knives,it could have been used as a small knife,arrow heads and knives are made of chert not flint,flint is harder to knapp for arrow heads and knives,flint is used in gun flints,this flake was found on a prehistoric site in America, the earliest prehistoric site, start at 12000BC (Paleo) the latest prehistoric sites are the Mississippian sites which date around 800AD to 1300AD, in the years past I sufaced hunted prehistoric sites,in Madison,Jersey,Macoupin,Calhoun,Greene,St. Clair counties in Illinois and St.Louis and St.Charles counties in Missouri, I have 35 years exp.in prehistoric North American Archeology and I worked as professional archeologist for 11 years and in the past I have seen thousands of these flakes,if it was used as a scraper it will have use polish on the broad sides of the flake,you could go back to this site and surface hunt the site by walking a grid pattern,when I surfaced hunted I would north and south then east and west,the late prehistoric sites are my favorite site to hunt,on these site you will find pottery chards,pipes,arrow heads,knives,shell beads and some times,but a very rare find,a very rare find is a complete jar made of clay,,any way I hope this has helped and did not cause any confusion,if you have any questions please send me an email,with a photo if possible Thanks!!Dave Hall,Alton,IL.

Last edited:
Thanks. I just knew it was out of place. This site/field is generally quite clear of any rocks other than a few round river stones. I also found the hammer below at this site after the farmer had plowed.

hammer.jpg

hammer stone

that hammer stone looks to be made in the early woodland times(1500BC to100BC) it has the look of a grooved axe,grooved axes where made in early woodland times,I would go back and hunt that site again,it would be better to hunt after a good rain,a half inch of rain would be good an inch of rain would great,any more that an inch would excellent,after a rain,the chert and other rocks will be much easier to see,remember to walk a grid pattern,,good luck,,Thanks! for the photo it really it was a big help,Dave Hall,Alton,IL.

Last edited:
It's been worked that's for sure,looks like a Lg flake,or part of a scraper/knife.It does look like flint I've seen flint with bands in it before.Would not mind finding a point made with that lithic.Nice find keep on checking that area after it rains,you never know what you will find!!

chert

I live in Illnois and seen many colors of chert,in this part of Illinois a white chert is the most common,this white chert is named Burlington,I forget the names of all the different chert types here,but the range of colors is wide,I have seen green,black,yellow,white,orange,blue,grey and in this area we have the middle woodland people also known as Hopewell,they lived here around 100BC until 400AD,the Hopewell would heat alter thier chert to make it easir to work in to arrowheads and knives,after this heat altering the chert would be red,also the Hopewell would import obsidian from Yellowstone park in Wyoming,but obsidian is a very rare find here in Illinois,the Mississippian people(800AD to1300AD)also imported obsidian and chert from all over the United States and the Mississippians imported sharks teeth from the gulf of Mexico,I have seen chert with stripes similar to this chert in the above photo,Thanks!!Dave Hall,Alton,IL.

Cahokia Mounds water bottle

This is a prehistoric water bottle from the Cahokia Mounds site,in Madison and St Clair counties Illinois,from the Mississippian period(800ADto1300AD)this water bottle is from the EX- Payne,Geiselman and Rich Johnson collections now in the collection of Dave Hall,,Alton,IL,,the Cahokia Mounds state historic site is the largest prehistoric site in America,,there is a web site on Cahokia Mounds,,in the search engine type some thing like Cahokia Mounds state park,,Collinsville,Illinois

Attachments

• Snapshot_20090708_1.jpg
    Snapshot_20090708_1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,159
3/4 grooved axe

this is a 3/4 grooved axe from the Early Woodland time period (1500BC to 100BC) and was found in Peoria county Illinois,,Dave Hall,,Alton,IL

Attachments

• Snapshot_20090708_3.jpg
    Snapshot_20090708_3.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,241
Back
Top Bottom