Need old and foreign coin feedback.

MadTownScoop

Elite Member
Well, Since my computer just GLITCHED Big time and I just lost two paragraphs worth of typing this I'm not going to do it again. Just know this. I need good, reliable web sites to value OLD Foreign and US coins. Oldest one Ive found is 1799 Georgius III Dei Gratia Half Penny in VERY worn condition. I'm attaching a couple pics. Please Im trying to value this whole collection so I can buy it intact from the family. They want to liquidate it and I know my late grandmother did NOT want that to happen. She expressed that to me a couple times as we went over her coins at home. Enjoy the pics and I'll share more as they come. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me.

Note the Morgans. First one is 1878 and has CC Mint, Carson City. $99-$110 just for that one coin from my assessment on its condition and value as of two years ago.

Attachments

• DSCN0017.jpg
    DSCN0017.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 327
  • DSCN0018.jpg
    DSCN0018.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 324
  • DSCN0022.jpg
    DSCN0022.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 334
  • DSCN0023.jpg
    DSCN0023.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_20140408_141655672_HDRsdfewsf.jpg
    IMG_20140408_141655672_HDRsdfewsf.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 324
Call everyone together at the table and tell them since you are the only one who really cares about coins, your grandmother gave them all to you.
If you want to give them each $50 do it.:D

Break a window then hide the coins then tell them some one broke in and took them ,,,,, all jokes aside ,,,, my mother had old coins and 5 kids,,,, she took the coins put them in 5 separate bags and told us to pick a bags ,,,, that was it,,,, not another word was said about the coins ,,,, :?:

My grandmother had some coins she got from her dad and gave a couple to each of the grandkids, luckily she did it before she past. I took a look at what each of your grandmothers coins have each been selling for on Ebay in about the same conditions,and here are the average prices they sold for, keep in mind this is average, some went higher and some lower:
1799 Half penny $10-15.00
1874 Half penny $10-15.00
1875 Half penny $5-10.00
1862 Half penny $5-10.00
1862 Half penny $5-10.00
1921 Half penny $3-5.00
1878-CC Morgan $90.00-110.00
1879-S 3rd rev. Morgan $35-45.00
1880-S Morgan $30-40.00
So around $200-250.00 for the lot. However, sentimental value is also worth something in my opinion. You will probably never get another chance to buy your grandmothers coins...What's it worth? Its up to you.. I know I won't be selling the coins my grandmother gave me, the hard part will be which grandkid will I give them to, only two coins and 8 grandkids...
Good luck! AL

My grandmother had some coins she got from her dad and gave a couple to each of the grandkids, luckily she did it before she past. I took a look at what each of your grandmothers coins have each been selling for on Ebay in about the same conditions,and here are the average prices they sold for, keep in mind this is average, some went higher and some lower:
1799 Half penny $10-15.00
1874 Half penny $10-15.00
1875 Half penny $5-10.00
1862 Half penny $5-10.00
1862 Half penny $5-10.00
1921 Half penny $3-5.00
1878-CC Morgan $90.00-110.00
1879-S 3rd rev. Morgan $35-45.00
1880-S Morgan $30-40.00
So around $200-250.00 for the lot. However, sentimental value is also worth something in my opinion. You will probably never get another chance to buy your grandmothers coins...What's it worth? Its up to you.. I know I won't be selling the coins my grandmother gave me, the hard part will be which grandkid will I give them to, only two coins and 8 grandkids...
Good luck! AL

The coins pictures are just a sample. There are around 15 Morgans. A bunch of Walking liberty 50¢ pieces. Three or four large cents. A bunch of very worn barber dimes, Few seated liberty dimes, One "half dime" thats damaged by fold on edge( Worthless). I finally found a place I could get rough values and took 8 hours to go thru the "lot" that I have in my possession and found a couple coins that had significant value. Prices you posted above are about what Ive got written down so I think Im on the right track.
The whole family knows "grannie" wanted to give her kids the collection but wasnt sure how to divide. Thats when I stepped in and offered to buy the whole thing for 90-100% value so she would not lose money on it and they could not blame me for taking advantage of her. None of them really have interest in coins,,, They want cash so I'm offering. Most of the barber dimes and seated's are VERY worn. One or two could not even begin to see the date no matter how I tried to take pics from all angles and edit pics on the PC. Just cant even make out an edge of a number so... zero value other than melt. 3-4 "War Nickels" When it gets to it I'll try and post pics of the more valuable coins. And IF I get to buy the entire collection I'll try and lay it out on the floor and photo the whole thing. I just want to keep it together for Grannie. Ive no kids to pass it on to but do have my cousins kids I could pass it to. Or if they end up being s<>T heads I'll pass it on to my friends kids who are coin collecters themselves so. Thanks for the info.

Oh, DO any of you use "Coin Quest" or "Coin Trackers" for identity and value of coins? Thats what I looked at and Im telling the fam the High and low value of all coins and also that a "coin shop" will only give them 50-60% at most and Im offering 85-90%. See where it goes.

Thanks for the link. Maybe I'll get more accurate after I buy them. OR if someone forces my hand cause they think I'm not doing it properly. Not trying to get away cheap. Im giving them the best "grade" I can for each coin and willing to pay the higher dollar amount. Thanks again.

First, condolences on the passing of your grandmother.

If I were you, I would find a local coin dealer, and ask he's interested in buying the collection, and finding out what he would pay for it. Your family wants cash (quickly I'd figure), and then offer the family that amount, less your portion. Ie, if there are 5 of you, you would have gotten 20% of the sale, so you deduct that from the amount you pay for it.

I don't see why you should pay retail, or even 90% of retail. For them to get full retail, someone needs to photograph, grade, research, and then list each coin individually, and then deal with shipping and fees. If someone in your family wants to do all that for their portion of the collection's value, more power to them. Otherwise, wholesale is what the family will get for the collection.

If you want to continue on the path you've started, I would certainly offer the family less then the actual value (how much less is up to you), and then deduct your portion from that number, because you are the one that spent the time to research, categorize, etc., and you need to be compensated in some way for all that work.

Good luck to you and yours...

Back
Top Bottom