• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Weekend at the beach

X

Xray

Spent a nice weekend at a camping ground which has plenty of beach area, here is what I found.

Pepsi can - I was startled to find this old Pepsi can in such good shape at a beach - Registered as a nickel 2 inches down, when I dug 5 inches and still no nickel, I pretty much figured it was a can, as I have ran into these sand buried cans before. Found it at about 7 inches and when I saw the bottom of it, I was very tempted to just leave it there and rebury it, as I didn't feel like toting a can around with me and there were no trash cans around. Pulled it out on an impulse, and am glad I did. My useful memory stretches to the mid 70's or so, I sure do not recall this Pepsi design then, I am guessing it is 60's, perhaps 50's.
Anyone knows, let me know please.
Again, I am clueless about how a can could have survived in a beach environment for years in this good of shape - And I am doubting if it is a recent burial, if only because of the depth, not to mention the unlikelihood of somoene taking a decades old can to the beach to bury.

Rings & things - Found a silver ring, a 14k gold ring minus the stone, a .925 earring. Also was suprised to find a silver 1960 Rosie dime, and a 1950 wheatie.
That little button thing I didn't think too much of at first, turns out to be pretty cool when I read the date - Says American Legion Membership 1953. Is really small, as you can tell from relation to the dime.
2 junk rings rounded out the jewelry dept, and about a $5 pile of clad.

I did find another silver ring, on request. A little bikini clad hottie said "yoo hoo, mr detector guy, do you think you can find my ring" ? I said sure, you know where abouts you lost it ? She pointed the area out, and it took all of 3 seconds to scoop it up in my sand scoop. She was mighty impressed, and poised to give me a nice hug until she remembered her boyfreind was standing right there, so she said thanks ! I'm so happy ! I said no prob, that'll be $25, which made her jaw drop and eyes roll, she said ... Really ??? I said naw, just kidding hun, glad I could help.

Found a nice cell phone also, when I got home, I looked through the recent call list [musta been a recent drop as it still had a charge]. Made a couple of calls, tracked down the owner and arranged to meet him to return his phone.
He was super gratefull, saying he had no home phone, it was his only phone, and all his contact info ect was on the phone ... He tried to press a $50 into my hand, I said really, thats mighty nice of you but I don't need anything, glad I could help.
He said no please, you took the time to do this and I really have to give you something, so I relented and accepted a $20, figuring that I would want to do about the same were I in his position.
All and all a pretty good couple of days [I'd say I detected maybe a total of 6-7 hours over 2.5 days there] ... And I'll be going for another weekend next month .. A Lot of beach I didn't explore yet, not to mention the coming drops [All sand finds by the way, I did explore a bit of the waterline out to 2 ft or so with my Ace 250, just found a bit of clad].

Attachments

• beachpepsi.jpg
    beachpepsi.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 339
  • beachrings.JPG
    beachrings.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 341
  • beachclad.jpg
    beachclad.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 337
Was this a fresh water beach, or salt water?? If it was salt, I'm Very surprised to see your pepsi can in that kinda shape. WTG on all of your finds. You did well!!

Just about everything you could want in that hunt! I am sure the people really appreciated getting there items back. Look, It's a bird... It's a plane... no it's Mild Mannered Detector guy! :lol: Good job Xray!

Keep Swing'in
Jack

X - Man, you did a little of everything - good going ! Very nice of you to help the people out - you make us all look good. I dug a working cell phone last week in the chip bark. It says it needs some kind of card to work and it's all in Spanish. Dont know what to do - any ideas ? Steve in so az

Sounds like a nice couple of days of detecting. What kind of ring was the hottie missing? You know there are all kinds of rings these days :cool: :lol:

Good job out there and nice takes!

Thanks for the replies folks.

Was this a fresh water beach, or salt water??

Fresh, Don. It was far away from any water, probably about 30 yards or so, but still, you'd think any metal can buried under any conditions for years would be much more deteriorated than this.

Thanks for the link, 50's according to that.

I dug a working cell phone last week in the chip bark. It says it needs some kind of card to work and it's all in Spanish. Dont know what to do - any ideas ? Steve in so az

Alls I did was look through the recent outgoing calls, the first I reached turned out to be the husband of the lady who dropped it [My call reached his voicemail, and as I didn't want to try to explain this on a voicemail] I called the second number, which turned out to be the loss-ee's sister.
So if the thing powers up and you can access the menu, try calling some numbers in the phones log - Of course, thats no guarentee that you will reach someone who speaks English well enough to understand what you will try to tell them.
In that case, I'd say its their tough luck for living in a country and not knowing the language of the natives.

What kind of ring was the hottie missing? You know there are all kinds of rings these days

Twas a nice little silver ring with a ruby shaped heart.

X - Can't get to power up now - I'll drop it in the box at the stores for soldier's phone donations. And you are right about the native language, down there you would be -you know what- out of luck, steve

I've become a semi-expert on pull tabs :lol:, and that can would have to be after 1962, since the first "pop-top" was introduced in that year. That looks like a ring-pull can, which started in about 1965. It also looks like bimetal, aluminum end and steel body, which would place it in the 60s, I think.

Congrats on helping the people out. Doug

looks like a fun and productive weekend! Great gesture with the phone. I have found several, some that still worked, others water logged. Was able to return one by the call back method and a couple more turned into the Lost & found at the Boardwalk near where I hunt. Same with a very expensive looking pair of prescription sunglasses.

Alot of folks do not realize that most found cell phones are practically useless anyhow, as most people deactivate them very soon after losing them. I know I would.
The phone I found was a newer model, and could be used as a camera and mp3 player ... They go for $20-$50 on ebay even as non working parts phones, but most lost phones have about as much worth as a brick to anyone who finds them.

That is one can I wouldn't mind digging up. Here on the Chicago beaches, there are literally dozens of buried cans that these slobs dump there because they're too friggin lazy to walk 20 feet to a garbage to dispose of them. And of course a lot of the detectorists can ID them before attempting to dig and ignore them (so I get the benefit of throwing them away).

Joe

twistidd - I agree, I am continually amazed at the sheer laziness of some folks, who seem to think the world at large is their personal garbage disposal unit. These people are typically personal slobs, and as they disrespect themselves and their appearance and health, so too do they disrespect the environment in which we all have to live.
I have been taught as a young child to respect my living space, and that of others .. I have passed these habits to my children, as many do - But unfortunatly, there will always be a slobbish element to any society, and I have nothing but complete disdain for these folks.

Orlando Auction - I have been told that Pepsi made no cans until the early 60's - I have yet to verify this, but its on fairly good authority.
The link Hobbes provided did indeed show a logo, that is on my can, apparently used from 1950-1962 - So perhaps it is from the early 60's.

Back
Top Bottom