Bog iron

dlax

Elite Member
Winter has me reading historical accounts and books about my area, and there was a bog iron industry along our river centuries ago. When I read this, it reminded me of how crazy my detector was beeping for iron when I explored our dried up swampy pond this summer (because of the drought). I can't say that I have any interest at all in harvesting bog iron, but I am curious if other's have encountered it, what they know about it, and if it is worthy anything?

D, this was a different season all together for us. Lack of snowfall and drought was a bad combo.

I'm in central MA. The ground still looked like dry flour 10 inches down.

VDI was all over the place too. Weird signals!

Just my 2-cents.... pay attention to those old water holes. Some great finds come out of those places. Swimmers, fishermen and hunters dropped all kinds of cool stuff over the years.

Thanks for the replies. DD, I agree that the pond seemed like a great spot to check out while it was dried out - who knows what got tossed in there or dropped and never retrieved! The path next to the pond is where I dug up some of my oldest finds! My cheap little starter machine just didn't stand a chance against the solid iron signal coming out of the whole bottom. Santa upgraded my equipment this year, so I hope I can try it again this summer and avoid what seems to be this "bog iron" signal. I was hoping someone had experience with this in the past?

Back
Top Bottom