A dagger from the deep any help with the ID

dirtydog

Forum Supporter
I complain a lot about pennies and bottle caps and pull tabs but sometimes I hit a good day. I was at a big International surfing contest a while back and so I made the drive and just made myself at home rubbing shoulder to shoulder with all the spectators and contestants. I arrived early about 8:30am until dark. It was hotter than hades and I never saw another person with a detector until I got ready to go. Most of the people here want hunt until 6am or close to dark. So I got many of the goodies before the cool weather guys showed up. In fact I got 15 good items but I will show them later and the Dagger will be in the photos. I found this dagger in about knee deep water and I thanked God I didn't step on it. So can you help ID this? It was made in Spain and has rust on the blade. I know it 's not a treasure ship find because of the Made in Spain stamp. I have no idea how it would have got there. A friend says sometimes mad wives and girlfriends will throw their husbands things in the ocean. If that's true I hope it happens more often. Thanks for looking.
dd

Attachments

• 20170313_122534 copy.jpg
    20170313_122534 copy.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 460
  • 20170313_122725 copy.jpg
    20170313_122725 copy.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 452
  • 20170313_123158 copy.jpg
    20170313_123158 copy.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 464
  • 20170321_113958 (1) copy.jpg
    20170321_113958 (1) copy.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 467
Whoa, that's one wicked looking edged instrument, I can see why you would worry about stepping on it, dang! Awesome find, hope you get some history on that thing.

You have got to be sh!tying me... That's a cool looking sword or dagger. Can't imagine pulling that out and walking around with it for a few hours. Base metal?

Heck of a fishing knife, lol. That's a strange find, with no size reference I thought it looked like a letter opener at first.
DL

I can picture you hunting in-and-out of the towel line, moving between people, and all while carrying that thing in your belt. HA HA HAHA, awesome!

Evil

Looking dagger bro., i wouldn't leave it around the house , leaving the wife wondering what to do with it :shock::laughing:, happy hunting, cool piece, Earl

That's a Wild find there!! Amazing the things one can find in the water!

Whoa, that's one wicked looking edged instrument, I can see why you would worry about stepping on it, dang! Awesome find, hope you get some history on that thing.

Thanks for looking BB. It fell out of the 720 a couple of times in the high surf. After I retrieved it I thought I was lucky I didn't get harpooned.:lol:

You have got to be sh!tying me... That's a cool looking sword or dagger. Can't imagine pulling that out and walking around with it for a few hours. Base metal?

Steve I took to the car right away as I got there very early and parked close to the action. I have no idea what the handle is made of but the blade I think is chrome plated steel.

Looks like this one on Ebay to me. He doesn't say how old, just described as vintage. There seem to be a bunch of very cool daggers and swords by that company. Very nice find!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toledo-Spai...500709?hash=item281fb2c265:g:kUMAAOSw8oFXzM-c

Thanks SueK. I think you solved the mystery. It's not very sharp and It looks like the example with no fancy markings on the blade. and there is some difference in the markings on the handle. I've never seen a letter opener like that but it is so close to that one it can't be anything else.

Sue's is the closest pattern, and this one is the closest that I have found so far.

Marto_Toledo_Swordst1.jpg
http://www.by-the-sword.com/c-74-marto-toledo-swords.aspx

Thanks Mr.CrackerKack. You guys and gals are coming up with ideas I didn't find.

Heck of a fishing knife, lol. That's a strange find, with no size reference I thought it looked like a letter opener at first.
DL

Dirty I think it is a letter opener now that I see Sue's example. It shocked the SXXX out of me when I found it. :lol: I was already on a roll in finds. So my first thought on the treasure coast was ship wreck treasure until I saw the made in Italy stamp. Still a first for me.

What a strange and nice find in the water? Ya just never know what the next signal will be huh?

Thanks Mud Man. I was surprised for sure. But like I said. A friend that has lived here for years has found golf clubs. Mad girlfriends and wives getting even with there other half. I like mean women!:lol:

I can picture you hunting in-and-out of the towel line, moving between people, and all while carrying that thing in your belt. HA HA HAHA, awesome!

David I took it right to the car because it was a international surfing contest and lots of Police around. I can see me going to jail as a terrorist.:detector::dingding::mder::police::jail::surrender::oldguy:

Looking dagger bro., i wouldn't leave it around the house , leaving the wife wondering what to do with it :shock::laughing:, happy hunting, cool piece, Earl

Thanks Earl but I don't have to worry right now. We are moving and she needs someone to do the heavy lifting.:lol:

Well, it can still be bought today, as a letter opener. The only difference is the stamp design, but maybe it's an older version. Cool find none the less.

http://www.toledosword.com/pr/Great_Captain_Sword_Letter_Opener.html#MA8214

Great_Captain_Sword_Letter_Opener_l.jpg

Your right Monster. I never had a clue that it was a letter opener. But it's not very sharp has no signs of being sharpened. And all the examples lead to that conclusion. Thanks for taking your time to help with the ID.

Wow I'd be really stoked to find that!

I was stoked. It had already been a great day, at least for me. So finding it was exciting. It turned out not to be much but it is like that say, "It's not the destination that's exciting , it is making the trip. or in this case the hunt." Thanks Friend.

:off-topic:
Forgive me for going off topic, but this cracked me up (no pun intended) and made me think of a really odd local word snafu that I see here all the time on buy, sell, trade type posts on social media. I have never, ever seen this anyplace but this one small part of Oklahoma and it baffles me that it's rampant in these parts, but seemingly only these parts...

For whatever reason, these people have confused sell and sale. As in, "Dog for sell" or "I have a care to sale". Drives me nuts!

And now ... :back2topic:

Back
Top Bottom