GOLD! Lovely lovely gold. Nothing like it...

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
Father Day weekend... wife and kids are out of town, visiting grandparents (it's the first Father's Day my wife has had with her Dad in over a decade... pretty fun!). But that left me alone for the week. What to do, what to do. Oh. Metal Detect!

Went to a nearby city I have a permit for, and while looking at the maps today, I realized I hadn't really ever detect the high school area. I know there's a lot of detectorists in that town, though, so I didn't expect much.

When I got there, I didn't find much, but I noted the high school football field, which is fenced in, had several open access points. People in the community walk the track and stuff, in the summer, so I headed over to see what I could find in the grass of the football field.

Pennies. Lots and lots of pennies. And nickels. Those two things mean two things to me. Lots of detectorists... and lots of detectorists hunting silver. Figured I had a good shot at catching a gold ring or two.

Didn't get two, but did get one! The gold ring rang up at a nice solid 50. The stainless rang at 47. No markings in the stainless, but it doesn't feel nearly dense enough to be anything else. The pictures are kind of grainy, because I use the zoom on the phone (which is nothing more than pre-cropping). The gold is definitely legit, though. The marks in the field shots are not corrosion, only dirt. The ring is quite nice, but the stones are not diamond. I don't know if this is a mom's ring (birthstones for three kids), or just a synthetic stone ring, but the diamond detector didn't even move when touched to the stones...

Good weekend, for sure. This was gold ring #8 for the year, and these were rings 107, and 108. Gold weighed in at 3.16 grams. I figure 3.1 after the stones are out, and it comes to just over $70 in melt. Yeah... it was a good day!

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_2357.jpg
    IMG_2357.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_2359.jpg
    IMG_2359.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_2361.jpg
    IMG_2361.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_2362.jpg
    IMG_2362.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_2363.jpg
    IMG_2363.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 526
Guys on here always complain about gold ringing up in the low conductor range, but I like that it does that because most guys don't dig those low ones:lol:
Congrats on a great ring!

Guys on here always complain about gold ringing up in the low conductor range, but I like that it does that because most guys don't dig those low ones:lol:
Congrats on a great ring!

I wonder how many I missed in the 80's?:?::?::?::?: Nice ring Skippy!!!

That is a nice one there Skip! Great write up about how you evaluated this place and targeted the correct signals...A guy learns things from a post like this! Thanks!

Well done Skippy. That's a sweet ring.

Hats off to the folks that only hunt clad and silver,
They leave us all the good stuff behind! Lol

Gorgeous Ring! Let's not be talking 'melt value' because the ring is worth a lot more than that. Big Congrats!

beephead

Nice ring, the stones look to be garnet and aquamarine or blue topaz, pretty! I hit a high school this am early after doing a couple lots downtown, no nice stuff so glad to see you found gold!

Thanks, all. Was a fun day, still "reveling" in it a bit. Nothing like gold to cheer up the spirits. even if it isn't a 26.something gram 14K gold necklace (nice find Detector!), for a Father's Day weekend, it was great!

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom