Trees...sometimes not our friends....

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
I live in a neighborhood where the homes were built in the 1920's, as such we have some massive 90 year old plus trees all over the place.
Many in the small curbs strips that have ripped up the sidewalks with their roots and have recently decided they don't want to keep holding up some of their big branches anymore.
Across the street from me was one with 5 huge such branches and in the last few months three have broken off and fallen and hit two cars and two houses.
Finally someone called the city and made them cut down the last two because they were the biggest ones and would have destroyed any part of any home they would hit...and they were aiming in way to do just that.

We got a big old tree like this in our backyard too, it started in my neighbor's yard but got so big the trunk spread over to my side...the thing has to be at least 100 foot tall if not more.
One branch fell on my house a couple of years ago and that branch had to be at least 2 feet in diameter, instead of crashing through our house the kudzu surrounding it evidently lowered it slowly enough to where it just rested on our roof with very little damage.
I used to hate kudzu but now it is my favorite plant.
It cost $800 for the tree guys to come out and remove this one branch and get it off our house.
Last night about 7 pm I heard a crash and our power went out and I knew what happened.
Another big branch broke off this tree and came down in my backyard taking my service drop from the power pole and my cable line with it.
Also took out another tree in the middle of my yard and it was long enough that the end of the branch hit one of the main lines running through all the backyards along the property lines and shut the power off of the house next door and the two behind me too.
At 3:30 in the morning the power guys finally got out to us and got the power going again.
All the commotion around here woke me up so I stayed up.
Not 20 minutes after the power guys left I was sitting on my porch drinking a cup of coffee when I heard another breaking sound I have become all to familiar with lately.
My power stayed on this time, so did my neighbor's but I knew something had happened so even in the dark I walked around to my backyard hoping my home was still intact and also hoping another huge chunk of wood was not sitting in my yard.
It wasn't but my neighbor was not so lucky because the thing came down completely right on top of his house.
That tree was gone, this huge thing that blocked off the sun from my yard that soared so high into the sky was now resting comfortably at a different angle right on his roof.
Damage to his home for sure plus it hit the electric meter which is on the back of our homes and exposed wires so the power company had to come out and shut his power off again and won't repair the thing until they get rid of this tree.
I ran an extension cord to his house from mine so he could keep his WiFi going and his fridge working because coolers and ice is such hassle.
In turn he is letting my wife piggyback on his WiFi because she works from home and our cable company has not seen fit to come out and hook us back up as yet.

Now the tree company is out here to the care of this mess as I write this.
They have a huge 150 foot crane they are setting up in my neighbor's driveway but I talked to the owner and he said he is a little worried because this tree is massive and he thinks it is just about at the limit of what this crane can handle.
I sure hope all goes well...I don't need several thousand more pounds of wood dropped on my poor little home.

20170616_152618.jpg

Now the owner tells me the ground is too soft to use the crane, the wood under the stabilizers are buckling and the ground is sinking too far down under two of them and that is before they will be putting up to almost 100,000 pounds of pressure on them so they have to do it the hard way and cut the trunk into smaller pieces and get it out that way...Fine with me.
He says if that crane isn't set up perfect and on very solid ground if it turns over it would cut one of our homes completely in half so better safe than sorry...smart guy.

My neighbor got a price on removing this tree for between $6-$9,000 but he couldn't narrow it down until they were through and stuff like this is why.

Here are some pics of my backyard...
20170616_060728.jpg

20170616_060746.jpg

20170616_060844.jpg

20170616_060721.jpg

20170616_060708.jpg

Here is what's left of the tree and what it looks like in his backyard.....

20170616_060759.jpg

20170616_133817.jpg

20170616_133904.jpg

Here is a pic of the ceiling in one room in the back of his house where the tree fell....

20170616_132525.jpg

Nothing you really want to see when you own a home.

Insurance will take care of it, he is expecting to get some improvements on part of his house and a new roof at least by the time it is all over.

The one good thing is neither of us have to worry about this tree anymore.

Last edited:
Oh wow, big mess that tree left... glad nobody was hurt and its being taken care of. What a huge pain though...

Up in Colorado I had three trees in my back yard that were pretty stout, maybe 2-3' across, and they weren't healthy trees. One day I was standing looking out the back door drinking my coffee when one of them just decided to fall over. I stood there and watched the thing fall, luckily nothing in the yard for it to hit.

The next couple days I had a tree crew over and they took out the others and trimmed the healthy ones. I guess I got off easy considering it was only $1100 for all they did. The only neat part was the city took my tree trunks since they were big, that town has a yearly wood carving competition, so now my trees are among the carvings around town.

Wow, hope everything gets taken care of sooner than later.

About 11 years ago when we moved into our home there were 2 trees my wife noticed were too close to the house so we cut them down ourselves, now they may have been "only" about 40 to 50 feet high, but we tied a heavy rope further up the tree and pulled it tight to a tree much further away from the house as an added caution to keep the tree from falling the wrong way as you can't 100% count on cutting it right to ensure that by itself. We took down both trees without a problem, I remember when one tree fell you could feel the ground shake :shock: .....later on I cut down several other large trees further away from the house as I want more open area.

I know some people might like the shade a tree provides to a house but to us it is not worth the problems it could pose later on.

Added note: I just remembered hearing of a person who cuts down trees for free so they can sell the wood for firewood, but you still want to make sure that such people know what they're doing if the tree has any potential of causing damage if it falls the wrong way.

We have a fireplace and I had used some of the wood from the trees we cut down for that.

Soon after KT moved into His Royal Castle, we had a lightning strike. Hit a tree next to the Castle, came down it, jumped to the Castle's air conditioning unit, and came in the house and knocked the thermostat off the wall! This happened while We were not home! Insurance paid for the new Thermostat, wiring and new air unit, but refused to pay for the tree.

Well, this tree was next to the Royal Chariotport...and had a fork about 6 feet up...biggest tree on KT's Kingdom! KT went out and drove two nails across the crack that had appeared 1 foot below the fork. Then each day He measured the crack's spread. And each day He called His Insurance agent and told him how much it had spread...around 1/4 inch a day....after several days of this, the Insurance agent had had enough...one half of this tree would have crushed the Chariotport, and the Royal Chariot! So he called a local major tree service and they came out and removed it...that was 30 years ago and remnants of the huge stump is still recognizable. KT was heating the Castle with wood and He got 2 years of firewood from that one tree! LOL Found out from the tree service that they charged the insurance company $1800 for taking out that tree. Remember $1800 30 years ago was a LOT of $$$!

Great post and pics there D27! I enjoyed the whole read and the comments! Its these kinds of experiences that put the Living in Life!:laughing::laughing:

As if things aint hard enough on a guy trying to make a Living on this inhospitable Planet, we gotta worry about trees!!:laughing: They are certainly bigger than us, stronger, so its a good thing chainsaws were invented or we would have no proper defense...You can shoot them with a gun to no effect! Only a chainsaw seems to get their attention...

I agree, in retrospect, Trees are not our friends. Very few of them are docile. They always be trying to stick out a root and trip a guy, or knock your hat off just for fun...The really mean ones sometimes try to poke your eye out....Some days, when they get really wee-weed up, they all start flapping their limbs and leaves in unison and can create some pretty strong wind! On these days, even the lesser Plants get involved in a full on Regional Lignum attack to make things uncomfortable for us...Even Petunias will jump on in and add what they can to the effort! Once they get tired, things settle down and its back to Life as normal...

Some trees try to drop acorns, branches or coconuts on Peoples heads!...I wonder how many Humans are killed by trees yearly? I bet its a lot! If you include leaf raking induced heart attacks....I guess we got it coming, but still...their anger appears to be random and opportunistic...Hell, a pile of leaves killed a Lady right across the street from me a few years back!

True! She raked them all up in a nice little orderly pile, set them on fire, and they proceeded to choke her into unconciousness with their smoke, then they burned her up with no mercy! Melted that Dollar Store polyester mumu and her plastic Crocs even! Laughing the whole time! Had themselves a damned Bar-B-Que!

I think those Ents are the rabble rousers and are the cause of this overall woodland anger, tearing up that one guys smelting operation in LOTR that one time? Unabashed Industrial Terrorism with intent and well organized!...

I may just go out back with my chainsaw right now and kill a few little saplings just to let the big ones know whos the boss around here! I'll stand out there and rev it up a bit!..Maybe stack up their prepubescent offspring as a warning...That should make the big ones behave for a little, or at least make them think a bit before trying anything stupid!...:laughing::laughing:

Last edited:
What kind of trees are those? We had a large pin oak in our backyard, probably 80 years old, 2.5 ft. diam. It had dropped a few branches (6-8 inches) during ice storms, then one calm spring day we were eating lunch, heard a crack and a larger (12 inch diam) limb fell. Didn't hit anything, but after that I had it taken down. When it was cut up there was no sign of rot in it (?)

Great post and pics there D27! I enjoyed the whole read and the comments! Its these kinds of experiences that put the Living in Life!:laughing::laughing:

As if things aint hard enough on a guy trying to make a Living on this inhospitable Planet, we gotta worry about trees!!:laughing: They are certainly bigger than us, stronger, so its a good thing chainsaws were invented or we would have no proper defense...You can shoot them with a gun to no effect! Only a chainsaw seems to get their attention...

I agree, in retrospect, Trees are not our friends. Very few of them are docile. They always be trying to stick out a root and trip a guy, or knock your hat off just for fun...The really mean ones sometimes try to poke your eye out....Some days, when they get really wee-weed up, they all start flapping their limbs and leaves in unison and can create some pretty strong wind! On these days, even the lesser Plants get involved in a full on Regional Lignum attack to make things uncomfortable for us...Even Petunias will jump on in and add what they can to the effort! Once they get tired, things settle down and its back to Life as normal...

Some trees try to drop acorns, branches or coconuts on Peoples heads!...I wonder how many Humans are killed by trees yearly? I bet its a lot! If you include leaf raking induced heart attacks....I guess we got it coming, but still...their anger appears to be random and opportunistic...Hell, a pile of leaves killed a Lady right across the street from me a few years back!

True! She raked them all up in a nice little orderly pile, set them on fire, and they proceeded to choke her into unconciousness with their smoke, then they burned her up with no mercy! Melted that Dollar Store polyester mumu and her plastic Crocs even! Laughing the whole time! Had themselves a damned Bar-B-Que!

I think those Ents are the rabble rousers and are the cause of this overall woodland anger, tearing up that one guys smelting operation in LOTR that one time? Unabashed Industrial Terrorism with intent and well organized!...

I may just go out back with my chainsaw right now and kill a few little saplings just to let the big ones know whos the boss around here! I'll stand out there and rev it up a bit!..Maybe stack up their prepubescent offspring as a warning...That should make the big ones behave for a little, or at least make them think a bit before trying anything stupid!...:laughing::laughing:

:laughing::laughing:
I think mudd,
you should write a new "POETIC" version of Trees by joyce kilmer
:lol:

:lol::laughing::laughing::laughing::lol:

I agree, in retrospect, Trees are not our friends. <SNIP>

<SNIP>

Here is an unwarranted tree attack on a woman. She was just minding her own
business fighting with another woman when the tree intervened.

To get by somewhat successfully on this inhospitable Planet, a person needs to know and understand a bit about our primary enemy, the trees..At least be able to tell the difference between a conifer and a deciduous....Thats a start...

Sure, I'm bragging here, but I once kicked the !!!! out of an incalcitrant Sassafras out by the mailbox, he had it coming though!....This one Maple put up a fight one day when he knocked my hat off, and I managed to flail him into submission accordingly...Most Adult trees know when to just sit silent and let a guy go on about their business, its the saplings that seem to want to prove themselves in an attempt to garner some woodland 'street cred'....

This one Scotch Pine? Yeah!...We went around and around until I lopped his head off and used him for Christmas that one year!....He was cussing and swearing most of the time, Like a normal Scot, drunk too I surmise, so it was an even matchup..Looking back, I just got lucky there.

I accidentally wandered into a Bamboo grove in Alabama once....before I knew it, I was surrounded and outnumbered!..Luckily I had my machete along like normal, I whipped it out and was ready for a fight! Seeing my skills and intent, they all put their hands up in the Universal sign of surrender and were all like, "Hey! Dont slash us Bro! We are not trees! Nothing but giant grass stalks standing here!"

Ok, duly noted...you got me on that technicality there..You bamboos are damn lucky I Know trees from grass!...Imagine the slaughter! I was ready too! Just to take out some former frustrations on that dmaned White Oak who jumped out in front of my car that one night back in '76 ...

Yeah, after he wrecked my Pinto, that smug bastard jumped right up back on the curb and just stood there mute! Acted all innocent when the cops showed up and all! No witnesses, nothing to add! Thats a tree for you!...No wonder the Dutch make shoes out of them! I hate trees! At the worst times, they seem to come out of nowhere! :laughing::laughing:

FWIW, For general Forum advice, sometimes during a job interview, during a lull in the interrogation process, the HR Poindexter Human will ask..."If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?" Do NOT think you can outsmart them by saying 'Oak'!

To exhibit a 'team dynamic' propensity, non threatening, immediately respond "Truffula!"...For gosh sakes dont say 'Oak' like Katherine Hepburn did when interviewed by James Lipton...Sure, She got away with it on account of she was old and already made her fortune...But calling yourself an "Oak" in a job interview is SUPER threatening to your potential boss! They are looking for a slow growth weak rotten softwood just like they are!

Just saying, Weeping Willows dont get intimidated by Truffulas...No Truffula Tree ever crushed a house or killed anybody...

Last edited:
The tree from his yard is gone, here is the damage.

20170617_134123.jpg

See that rubber sheeting...it is covering up 6 big holes that were punched into his roof.
Honestly these homes are old but they were still well built back in the days when people had pride in what they built.
The consensus is that if this was a modern home in a newer subdivision the way they build them now the whole back end if the house would probably have been crushed to the ground....people could have easily been killed in that house.

The tree guys evidently came into my yard and cut down the rest of the damaged tree that got split in half by the big branch that started it all so that was a bit of serendipity....that thing had to come down anyway because it was growing crooked.
Now my yard is full of leaves and lumber, most of it is not real thick and a neighbor and I with a chainsaw can cut it up into more manageable pieces and get it out of here but the big branch that started it all, which actually is attached to a big part of the tree that split off the main trunk, is still a problem.
Not the branch but the trunk part which is thick, a couple of feet wide, long and has to weigh thousands of pounds.
Might need pros to deal with that part.

20170617_134224.jpg

Last edited:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

That was a very fitting clip !

......and if the trees are not enough to worry about, there are their relatives the plants -

To get by somewhat successfully on this inhospitable Planet, a person needs to know and understand a bit about our primary enemy, the trees..At least be able to tell the difference between a conifer and a deciduous....Thats a start...

Ok, duly noted...you got me on that technicality there..You bamboos are damn lucky I Know trees from grass!...Imagine the slaughter! I was ready too! Just to take out some former frustrations on that dmaned White Oak who jumped out in front of my car that one night back in '76 ...

Yeah, after he wrecked my Pinto, that smug bastard jumped right up back on the curb and just stood there mute! Acted all innocent when the cops showed up and all! No witnesses, nothing to add! Thats a tree for you!...No wonder the Dutch make shoes out of them! I hate trees! At the worst times, they seem to come out of nowhere! :laughing::laughing:

Pinto! :laughing::laughing::lol::lol::laughing:
(I drove one too, the first brand new car my parents ever let me drive):laughing:

The tree from his yard is gone, here is the damage.

View attachment 388221

The tree guys evidently can into my yard and cut down the rest of the damaged tree that got split in half by the big branch that started it all so that was a bit of serendipity....that thing had to come down anyway because it was growing crooked.
Now my toward is full of leaves and lumber, most of it is not real thick and a neighbor and I with a chainsaw can cut it up into more manageable pieces and get it out of here but the big branch that started it all, which actually is attached to a big part of the tree that split off the main trunk is still a problem.
Not the branch but the trunk part which is thick, a couple of feet wide, long and has to weigh thousands of pounds.
Might need pros to deal with that part.

View attachment 388223

Whoa, it pretty much trashed his roof, nice that the tree guys took out more than just what was there in his yard!

I'm pretty sure I had that on TCM the other day, I wasn't watching it real close but the tree kept grabbing women and making them faint :lol::lol:

Sad part was one of the women it grabbed was wearing a gun which made the fainting even kinda funnier in a sappy way (no pun intended!) :lol::lol::laughing:

Y
Maybe if you put a sign by the street side of your yard "FREE FIREWOOD" (just cut and haul) :lol:

.....hey, it might work !

Funny you mention that.
They piled all the wood up in his front yard and I guess they are coming back with a truck to haul it away.
I have been sitting on my front porch watching cars drive by and lots of them, (guys), are stopping and staring at the wood in this pile practically drooling.
I am sure they all have fireplaces in their homes.

Here are a few pics of that pile...

user10659_pic75701_1497727235.jpg

user10659_pic75702_1497727235.jpg

user10659_pic75703_1497727235.jpg

Here is a pic of what should have been the stump but instead is just kind of an empty void about 3' wide and about a foot deep.
The interior of the base was just hollow, for the life of me I can't understand what was holding this thing up this long.
When that huge amount of weight broke off and fell into my yard it unbalanced the whole tree and it soared high into the sky but since many of the bigger limbs branching out were hanging over his property it didn't take long for the weight of those huge things to topple the whole thing over in his direction.
This was a big worry for both of us for a long time, even with all the hassle I think even my neighbor is relieved that is over.

user10659_pic75704_1497727235.jpg

When Hurricane Hugo hit this area in 1989 I was working in home building I was the construction supervisor but everyone was busy. We worked from first light to flat dark getting trees out of homes and doing temporary repairs until such time as the insurance companies got a chance to do an estimate

Hope I never see another tree in a house.

Back
Top Bottom