Hate traffic...don't come around here for the next few years...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Can you say nightmare?

Here in Birmingham like most cities we have our traffic problems but unlike some cities I have lived in there is usually some sort of overall logical plan that is used when roads are built or improved.
Here things seem a bit different, there might have been a little too much drinking involved or something because things don't seem all that logical to me all the time.

We have our malfunction junction, this is a main interchange where I65 and I20/59 all cross which are main thoroughfares which have about 260,000 cars travel through daily and at best during rush hour it is a parking lot, at worst, even at low traffic times it is dangerous and can kill you.
They have made improvements on this interchange over the years, or tried to anyway, but as it is now it is still a jumble of way too short merging lanes and unbelievable maneuvers that drivers are forced to attempt to get to where they need to go like crossing over several lanes of traffic in an insanely short space to get from one freeway to another or an exit.
If people were normal and acted logically this would still be a challenge, add in several idiots that drive too fast and are selfish or decide they are kings of traffic and can do what they darn well please this can make driving here like running a gauntlet of the insane that don't understand they are driving several thousand pound weapons of destruction.
I wish we had other avenues to drive on but in most cases, unlike in Kansas where there were a thousand other roads going every which way you could use if you had to, we don't have those extra roads in most areas.

So the powers to be have decided they are going to fix it.
They are building two completely new bridges that will make things better, they say, and a lot of the prerequisite site work is being completed.
Now the fun starts, the new bridges are about to be built in earnest so something great is about to happen, they are going to be shutting down the I20/59 bridges totally and completely in phase 3 of this 4 year project.
Imagine that happening in your town at your malfunction junction, half the access completely gone.
This phase is scheduled to begin in a couple of years, phase 2 is now starting which involves improvements of several access points and exits along these route and it is already causing some bad problems.
This is what happened when they shut down just one exit.
https://geekalabama.com/tag/interstate-2059-bridge-replacement/
This has to do with that logic again, maybe a little bit of that drinking too...and this stupid idea was the brainchild of the DOT.
And this is just the beginning.

The trucking companies are very concerned, they are only allowed to keep most of their trucks on the road for about 11 hours a day, even if they are able to travel a route that is still available the prediction is the time it will now take to get from point A to B if you are delivering in the affected area might be doubled, tripled or even quadrupled or more eventually.
If you want to try other routes it is possible...If you don't mind driving about 30 miles extra out of your way.
And those other routes, secondary streets and who knows where else these cars and big trucks will be traveling trying to get somewhere, maybe even through neighborhoods that never saw traffic like this before.

Also consider the businesses.
The airport is on a direct route for me along these affected freeways so if you want to fly in and visit me don't expect me to come and pick you up until I can figure out a hassle free route to get there when things get bad.
People are going to try to avoid lots of these areas like the plague so even if they are still accessible I have to believe there is going to be a big drop in business for several, some very popular restaurants among them.
I don't know many businesses that can survive getting cut off from their customer base for an entire year or more.
If you need to get to one I am sure you can find a way but as a whole people are going to think the hassle is not going to be worth it but we will see.

Below is a pic of what it is supposed to look like when this huge project is done.
For everything this city and it's people are about to go through for the next few years I hope it's worth it, I hope it actually does make things better but considering the track record they have trying to fix this thing for decades I will reserve my opinion until it is done.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2017/06/it_is_going_to_be_a_nightmare.html

Attachments

• 20086064-mmmain.jpg
    20086064-mmmain.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
It's not really that much better here in Kansas, in Wichita at least. Every time you turn around they have some new construction starting. In one area they have been working on a bridge over the river. You have to go a mile in either direction to find another way across. They have been working on it for some time now. I don't believe that it took that long to build it in the first place. All of the construction jobs seen to go to one company and I don't believe they have the manpower to do them. You rarely see more than a couple of workers at any site if any. I think that Wichita uses these places to issue speeding tickets in the work zones even if there isn't any work being done. in some places it has been finished for a few weeks , they just haven't taken the signs down so you still would get a ticket. Construction on the main road through town has never ended since it was built.

Up in the NE. where I lived it was a pleasure compared to most places I lived.
Construction plans were sensible and thought out, after projects were done they were definitely an improvement.
If the freeways were lockup up due to traffic or accidents I couldn't count the other roads that went in the same direction I was travelling.
Might take longer but you could still keep moving...sitting in a parking lot on the freeway is never fun for me.

Here it is different.
Even if they mean well the execution of how they do things here seems crazy sometimes.
That is on smaller projects...this one is huge.

That's one of the reasons my wife and I are very glad to live in a small town with only 2 main roads, the main business road and a bypass road, no traffic jams or back ups to worry about here. The tradeoff, which is very acceptable, is that there are some major stores we very very occasionally need to go to which are about 25 miles away in the big city and it's those times we get to see the traffic we are missing out on :lol:

Now in big city of Columbia they have a somewhat famous spot called "malfunction junction" which they are now trying to decide how to remedy.

http://www.wistv.com/story/28907322/study-meetings-begin-for-possible-malfunction-junction-fix

malfunctionjunction.jpg

Springfield, Missouri has been putting in Diverging Diamond Intersections. You end up on the left side of the road. It works if everybody knows what to do, but if you have never been on one of these intersections they are confusing. Traffic is flowing faster and there are less serious accidents, but they are having more minor fender benders. If you are on 2 wheels fender benders can be deadly. I'll drive the car through them,praying whoever hits me has insurance, but I won't drive a bike through them. With a new batch of students at Missouri State every year and we are a tourist destination there are always people who have never heard of a diverging diamond trying to find there way through.
Springfield is home to Missouri's largest tourist attraction the Bass Pro Shop. It's a neat store but hard to believe it's the #1 tourist destination.

That sounds like it is going to be a mess, but at least they have a plan.
Where I am they are building new developments with nice roads inside the developments, but they dump out on to the same old narrow streets. Expecting to add that much new traffic in to already clogged streets is insane.
Some cities really go through growing pains, some hurt more than others.

This is the reason I left the Chicago, Milwaukee Corridor after 44 years. Traffic traffic traffic. As they say up north there are 2 seasons,. Winter and construction.
After WW 2 Dwight D Eisenhower seen a problem with our road system. He started the interstate system as we know it today. But like so many things in America our politicians have spent the tax payers money on so many other things. Like raises and lavish vacations for them selves.
I think this explains why we have major traffic problems in most cities today.

This is the reason I left the Chicago, Milwaukee Corridor after 44 years. Traffic traffic traffic. As they say up north there are 2 seasons,. Winter and construction.
After WW 2 Dwight D Eisenhower seen a problem with our road system. He started the interstate system as we know it today. But like so many things in America our politicians have spent the tax payers money on so many other things. Like raises and lavish vacations for them selves.
I think this explains why we have major traffic problems in most cities today.

Yeah...and before the EZ pass, those Chitown toll booths didnt help things either...Took hours to go from top to bottom! Sure it was a good way for us to offload dirty stinking clad, tossing it into the hopper, but very bummerish sitting in line behind the out of town "Not Prepared"...

Yeah...and before the EZ pass, those Chitown toll booths didnt help things either...Took hours to go from top to bottom! Sure it was a good way for us to offload dirty stinking clad, tossing it into the hopper, but very bummerish sitting in line behind the out of town "Not Prepared"...
On the weekend I have seen traffic on I 94 leaving Wisconsin backed up from the first toll booth in Illinois to Hwy 50 about 8 miles. Got to love the weekend warriors who spent the weekends up north.

They should put in traffic circles, round-a-bouts, what ever you want to call them. They work up here. You'd either get a great demolition derby out of it or it's be like another Talladega. That'd be second nature to them to get around that! :laughing:

Up here it takes less time to get a 700 foot cruise ship through the 7 mile Cape Cod canal than it does to get across the two bridges and onto Cape Cod in the summer. I love living in the country.

Traffic... eeeuck!

After my first retirement I thought for some reason I should go drive a hotshot truck and being oilfield stuff, I ended up in and around Dallas & Houston a lot.

Both Dallas & Houston are big parking lots and for some odd reason all roads around them seem to go right to the middle of them then branch back out again, so there's just no good route around the bad spots on all the interstates that go through/to them.

Actually traffic was worse in Houston most days than it was when I occasionally went up Chicago way or back east. Just a cluster...

After about 3 years of that business the oilfield busted again and I retired the 2nd time, now I get to stay here in the boonies where traffic jams are made up of neighbors stopped to chat in the middle of the road or somebody's cows out. Kinda nice :grin:

Traffic... eeeuck!

After my first retirement I thought for some reason I should go drive a hotshot truck and being oilfield stuff, I ended up in and around Dallas & Houston a lot.

Both Dallas & Houston are big parking lots and for some odd reason all roads around them seem to go right to the middle of them then branch back out again, so there's just no good route around the bad spots on all the interstates that go through/to them.

Actually traffic was worse in Houston most days than it was when I occasionally went up Chicago way or back east. Just a cluster...

After about 3 years of that business the oilfield busted again and I retired the 2nd time, now I get to stay here in the boonies where traffic jams are made up of neighbors stopped to chat in the middle of the road or somebody's cows out. Kinda nice :grin:
Sounds like a wonderful place to live!

I noticed a Facebook post last night from the small(?) town where I used to live. Someone posted that it seemed that the whole north part of town was closed due to construction.

Sounds like a wonderful place to live!

It is, and as a bonus the weather is pretty nice except maybe the dog days of summer and a few tornado days a year. Great improvement from my old stomping grounds in NW Colorado where winter pretty much lasted 8-9 months out of the year.

Traffic... eeeuck!

My wife and I are in the process of buying a place where the "traffic jam" is waiting for the wild horses to clear the road.

This something that KT had enough of when He was a working stiff. Now the retired KT rises late and watches the road reports on TV News while slowly sipping His Royal Coffee, commenting frequently to the Queen about how nice retirement is! Baughhauagh ha ha!

When We built the Castle 35 years ago, it was out in the country, but now it's in the suburbs.....

Back
Top Bottom