• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

minelab 705 gold coil for park or beach?

juit

Elite Member
Hi guy I have a gold pack minelab, do you use it for parks, play tots or at the beach? or is it for prospecting only?

I also have the concentic coil

what coils do you guys use for parks? some are really trashy here were I live

thanks in advance

The 5x10 high frequency coil is great for parks ,hits hard on coins and jewelry.The stock concentric is also a good coil,but I'd run the 5x10 mostly out of the two..The only time the 705 would be good for prospecting is if you ran in prospect mode,which is a high frequency all metal.i wouldn't use prospect mode for parks,you'll be ok with pattern 3 mode.

But i was reading hi freq coil it hits hard on small trash too

But i was reading hi freq coil it hits hard on small trash too

It does,but you have a Minelab,and in my opinion the best discrimination out there.
My 705 settings were 6,8,10,12,26,28,40,42, 46....those were the only numbers I left in,all others I notched out..with those numbers you'll get all small gold rings,large men's gold rings,nickels and any silver or clad....and you'll eliminate all the trash and nonsense..will you miss any gold? I guess you could,but you'll pass up a ton of trash and more than likely you'll get more gold in my numbers than any of the ones I notch out.
i did very well with those settings,and regret ever selling my 705, it's one of Minelabs best machines,and definitely better than anything in it's price range imo.I wouldn't be so ready to ditch that machine or coil,I don't think you even scratched the surface of its capabilities or tailoring.Its one of the smoothest and most customizable machines made.

It does,but you have a Minelab,and in my opinion the best discrimination out there.
My 705 settings were 6,8,10,12,26,28,40,42, 46....those were the only numbers I left in,all others I notched out..with those numbers you'll get all small gold rings,large men's gold rings,nickels and any silver or clad....and you'll eliminate all the trash and nonsense..will you miss any gold? I guess you could,but you'll pass up a ton of trash and more than likely you'll get more gold in my numbers than any of the ones I notch out.
i did very well with those settings,and regret ever selling my 705, it's one of Minelabs best machines,and definitely better than anything in it's price range imo.

All this with the hi freq coil? Or concentric stock coil

Ohh i was planing to sell the dd coil on ebay since its new and balance the price on thw detector

The 5x10 works good in trash and tot lots. The 9 inch is good to wade with and OK in the open. I like to hunt rings and myfavorite coil is the 7.5khz 10 inch DD. In the last 2 years I found 33 rings. Last year with the xterra 705 I found 27 of those rings 2 gold and 2 silver. I was also out of action from a lyphoma cest removed from my right arm for 4 months. These are all dry land finds. The xterra is a great dry land ring machine. Good luck! CG

The 5x10 works good in trash and tot lots. The 9 inch is good to wade with and OK in the open. I like to hunt rings and myfavorite coil is the 7.5khz 10 inch DD. In the last 2 years I found 33 rings. Last year with the xterra 705 I found 27 of those rings 2 gold and 2 silver. I was also out of action from a lyphoma cest removed from my right arm for 4 months. These are all dry land finds. The xterra is a great dry land ring machine. Good luck! CG

So the 10 inch dd is an all around coil?
What are your settings?

So,are most of your rings found within my pattern I described in a earlier post?

So the 10 inch dd is an all around coil?
What are your settings?

You can use the prospecting coil for parks, beaches and playgrounds, (and I bring it along to all hunts as a back-up coil), but it was designed for gold nugget hunting. But that doesn't exactly mean it can't be used in parks and I've found it works well there too.

The 10.5in dd 18.75khz IMO is a good, all around coil. It is very good for small targets (I've found lots of small silver earrings), and because it's so big, it has really good ground coverage.

However, this dd coil is not waterproof, so if you're hunting in shallow water, the concentric would be a better choice.

The settings you use would change based on ground conditions, but currently for me, the sensitivity is 18-22 (sometimes higher in stable ground).

I save your patern in number 1 set :) makes a lot of sense

Hey Juit, I ran with the 705 for more than two years. I consider myself very
experienced with it.
I started with the stock coil at first and just was not impressed. IMO for me what I didnt like about it is its very small concentric foot print. Yes it is a cone foot print but IMO very narrow.

Then got my 10.5 inch DD 7.5k coil.
Completely changed for me from then on.
It made it run quieter and just love the DD (brick like foot print). Think of a DD coil like a squeegee on a window. Great coverage.

I ran a silver program, a gold program and had a program for both. It depended on the site and how much time I had to hunt.

At first I would run with 40 and above. Til you got used to the coin tone and coin sizing. Then start dropping 38, 36, and so on.

As you drop to 38 you will start seeing more wheat pennies.

Then 36 and MORE wheat pennies

Ok now I would not drop past 34 as you will start seeing more & more ZINC pennies. Some will say thats pretty low # for silver but I will tell you
with my hunting partner I past right over a silver rosie that came in at a 36
on my 705. It hit 36 out of the ground. I was set at 38 and past right over it.

This is my silver program 34 and up. I guess if you really just want to cherry pick you can run 38 and up. But as I said you can walk right over a silver coin. Its up to you.

DD

So it would be best to get rid of stock and gold coil since thet are new? Get a 10 in dd 7.8

i did very well with those settings,and regret ever selling my 705, it's one of Minelabs best machines,and definitely better than anything in it's price range imo.I wouldn't be so ready to ditch that machine or coil,I don't think you even scratched the surface of its capabilities or tailoring.Its one of the smoothest and most customizable machines made.

Sagely words of advice from a Master Jedi!

So,are most of your rings found within my pattern I described in a earlier post?

Sorry to be late. My settings are all metal and all metal discriminate mode with multiple tones. Sensitivity 14 to 25. I found rings with all coils, but my main coil was the 10 inch,followed by the 5x10. I ran some disc occasionally, but can'take think of a single time I found a ring doing so. I found 1 gold ring 2.9 grams that jumped from a -4 to 2 after watching a guy with the latest greatest pro really cover the area under a volleyball net.Probably just got a grunt or low signal if anything. HH

Sorry to be late. My settings are all metal and all metal discriminate mode with multiple tones. Sensitivity 14 to 25. I found rings with all coils, but my main coil was the 10 inch,followed by the 5x10. I ran some disc occasionally, but can'take think of a single time I found a ring doing so. I found 1 gold ring 2.9 grams that jumped from a -4 to 2 after watching a guy with the latest greatest pro really cover the area under a volleyball net.Probably just got a grunt or low signal if anything. HH

What frec coils did you use?

What frec coils did you use?

I use the 7.5 kHz in the 10 inch coil. I don't get too caught up with some of the higher kHz machines. Just because you have a high kHz machine doesn't make it a ring machine. I have seen too many ring collections from some of the old 6.9 machines

Back
Top Bottom