Just wanted to introduce myself

deetecting

Hi everyone, New to the forum but not new to Metal Detecting (33 years) Bought my first machine whites D 5000 back in 1984/85 Traded up several times until the first digital whites was released over the years until I landed a whites eagle spectrum and have been swinging that machine ever since. My machine is in great working order and has always produces great finds (when there are targets.) I have pondered the idea of upgrading to a brand new whites and keeping the old machine. But every time I do I say to myself “if it isn’t broke don’t fix It.” so for now I am quite content with my machine.
I started detecting merely by accident because of my Job back in the 80’s. I was a young rookie cop with the NYPD (New York City Police Department ). I was on patrol one day on the upper west side of Manhattan in Riverside Park and I saw a familiar face. It was a veteran cop from my Precinct he was swinging an early whites metal detector. My curiosity was peeked. I immediately walked over to him and I asked what he was doing. Because of his kind nature and his will to want to share this wonderful hobby he took a few minutes from his detecting and showed me his metal detector and what it could do and how. After he showed me how it worked he went the extra mile and said “Here give it a try”. Well back in the 1980’s Riverside Park in NYC was virgin territory to metal detecting and was literally littered with coins and jewelry. I swung the machine and within seconds I zeroed in on a signal that read 85 on the old school meter. It was at that moment of excitement I realized 33 years later, I was hooked. It didn’t even matter that I pulled a brilliantly silver mercury dime from the ground for my very first target. Which I know in this hobby is unheard of but it’s what sucked me in for the last 30 plus years of detecting. He told me where he bought his machine (North Jersey) and off I ran. The owner of the shop named Geoquest was just as kind as my first encounter and he not only rented me a machine to try out but he sat with me for hours and gave me great advice as to where to look and how to detect. He also taught me the code of ethics and to always toss my trash. I used that rented machine for 2 weeks and when I brought it back I walked out of that shop with my very own new detector. Cost me a whole weeks pay of a rookie NYC police officer.
Being a Police officer in a large city like NY had a lot of perks over the years I spent many hours before and after work swinging the machine and gathering plenty of bounty and perfecting my craft. I was able to gain access over the years to place I never would have been able to detect. I always took other detectorist along with me that I had friended along the way like the park and grass areas of all of the museums, the meticulous lawn behind the NY public Library and even the Great lawn of central park. I even got to use the machine to recover evidence during a homicide investigation. (I located the murder weapon a bloody hammer that was buried in the woods. Of course I had a little help from the victim’s girlfriend that lead me back to the general area. But it was an incredible feeling to be able to assist one of the best equipped police departments in the world that didn’t have or no much about metal detecting back in the day.
I have had the good fortune of traveling to many countries and swinging my machine and bring back fantastic coins and artifacts from places as far away as Europe and South America. Because of those two wonderful people that started me in this fantastic hobby many years ago. It’s because of them I always share this hobby with people that show interest out in the field and have even done some coaching to folks that ran out and bought a machine. As my children grew up they showed an interest in most of my hobbies and I have spent countless hours of pure bliss metal detecting with both of them. Bliss because I had found a way of spending time with my children and with a hobby I adored. Priceless
Having been in the hobby for so long it’s brought me many emotions over the years from heart racing excitement to extreme boredom when there just aren’t any targets. But it’s always brought me joy. (You all know what I mean it’s like mediation swinging that machine)
Just remember when you’re on your way out there to swing your machine and you’re looking for that amazing pieces of treasure you have already found it. It’s the hobby itself, Let it consume you trust me it will work out pretty darn Good!
Thanks for letting me have such a long Intro

Welcome from W Tn and HH

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wonderful story and welcome from a retired lady cop, hunting the backroads & rural towns of southern Oklahoma.

Great story about how you got interested in detecting. Loved that you told us about the two gentlemen that introduced you to our legal addiction.:lol: I had to say legal with addiction since you are a Policeman. Thanks for your service also and welcome form FL.

Back
Top Bottom