Sharpening a trowel

adamdetector

So yesterday I received my new trowel which was made out of metal. It has two serrated sides. One on the left and one on the right. The trowel is very sturdy but the serrated edges are not sharpened at all. So I was wondering if anyone knows how to sharpen one. Thanks!

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

I used my angle grinder with the same grinding wheel I sharpen my mower blades with. Quick and easy.

get yourself a round file (one that fits into the grooves) and get at it

So yesterday I received my new trowel which was made out of metal. It has two serrated sides. One on the left and one on the right. The trowel is very sturdy but the serrated edges are not sharpened at all. So I was wondering if anyone knows how to sharpen one. Thanks!

You can use either a grinder or a file for sharpening flats, but if using a grinder make sure you go slowly so not to over heat the steel. Doing it too quickly will cause the blade to become brittle.

If using a grinder, use a flap disk and make single quick passes along the blade pausing for a few seconds between each pass.

Used a grinder and file on my Garrett digger.... worked like a charm. Went through roots and grass like butter. If your digger is good steel it should an edge for quite a while.

Go for it............

Most diggers are fairly thick when you get them. I use a small belt sander to sharpen the edges.
Belt sander.jpg
By holding the blade you can tell when it starts to getting hot. You can wait a while or dip it in water to cool it before sharpening it some more. Once it is sharp I touch mine up every now and the with one of these.
Sharpener.jpg
I like to keep my digger and shovel sharp.

I use a belt grinder with 80 grit to sharpen my mini 18" takes about a minute to get it sharp enough for digging.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

You can use either a grinder or a file for sharpening flats, but if using a grinder make sure you go slowly so not to over heat the steel. Doing it too quickly will cause the blade to become brittle.

If using a grinder, use a flap disk and make single quick passes along the blade pausing for a few seconds between each pass.

No, getting to hot causes it to become SOFT, you are effectively over tempering it. So that it will never hold a sharp edge for long.

Back
Top Bottom