How did I live without a pinpointer?

DiggerMD

Elite Member
Got my GP pointer yesterday. I only had time to run air tests last night 1-1/2" not bad. That will meet my needs for now, but I took it on a lunch time spin around a park, wow! It makes things so much faster and it seems the ground actually increased its distance. I was hitting 2-3" targets. All pennies and 2 nickels. And I found this I think it is some sort of Metal detectors calling card, what do y'all think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 455
1.5 is about normal I would guess. No idea whatz it but thought it was a capacitor at first glance. I could not hunt long without a Pin pointer. hh

I may have been overly thrilled and it seemed like 2-3:D. It's part of a pen. I just thought when I first dug it that some metal detectorist had gone out and had these made as a way to mark his territory because the name on it was JasonMD turns out he's a doctor and that's just his name. The fact that I didn't find anything but pennies had me thinking this guy has this park on lock and he wants everyone to know who's park it is. :laughing::laughing: me and my imagination.

I didn't know how much it helped because I had never had one but man what a difference.

Yep,I hunted for two years when I started without a pinpointer. I guess it's like anything else....if you don't know,you don't know. There is something called a Sunray Probe for different machines,and they are just a 1" coil in a tube,much like the one you got but it's wired into the machine via a switch box. You switch it to your main coil for hunting and then switch it to the Probe once the hole is opened up. It incorporates all the features of the main machine itself,so it discriminates,pinpoints,etc. just like the machine would. Check it out by Googling "Sunray Probe". One of the best detecting accessories ever made...EVER.
Back to your point....yes,you will continue to enjoy the PP immensely,it saves ALOT of screwing around,and waving handfuls of dirt gets really old when it's handfuls of MUD...or worse. :grin:

When I started detecting back in 1983 there was no such item on the market so all us old timers located the target the "hard way". Not having one for so long I was reluctant to get one but finally got one in 2010 and now I'd NEVER hunt without one.

A pinpointer creates more time to find the good stuff. I had a nightmare once...... I didn't have a pinpointer.:lol:

For the first 8 or so years, I detected without a pinpointer and only stuck to beaches, playground etc. Since I bought my pinpointer last year, I've found a lot more, (and partially because I now detect grassy areas too).

Getting a pinpointer was probably my best decision in this hobby. I'm not sure why I didn't buy one earlier!

Yep,I hunted for two years when I started without a pinpointer. I guess it's like anything else....if you don't know,you don't know. There is something called a Sunray Probe for different machines,and they are just a 1" coil in a tube,much like the one you got but it's wired into the machine via a switch box. You switch it to your main coil for hunting and then switch it to the Probe once the hole is opened up. It incorporates all the features of the main machine itself,so it discriminates,pinpoints,etc. just like the machine would. Check it out by Googling "Sunray Probe". One of the best detecting accessories ever made...EVER.
Back to your point....yes,you will continue to enjoy the PP immensely,it saves ALOT of screwing around,and waving handfuls of dirt gets really old when it's handfuls of MUD...or worse. :grin:

Don't start man my mouth waters every time I see those things. :shock:

I'm pretty good without it I mean literally with my BH we can narrow a target down to a city block with no problem.:laughing: seriously I think where it will hel most is not having to shred an entire plu just to get in the right vicinity. And yes waving hands full of dirt is a little annoying especially when it's a small swinish nail.

I was looking at PPs over the weekend; sounds like it's time to shut up and whip out the VISA for a little magic wand.

I never needed a PP since I began back in '69 until a couple years ago. For the most part usinga concentric coil, locating a target was fast and easy. Then bought a detector with a DD coil, finding a target was an issue. Was given a PP by Quest (Deteknix), what a difference, made locating the target easy. I am pretty good now when using a DD coil but still use it locating 75% of my targets faster.

....I can see where a hand held pinpointer would come in handy for really deep on edge coins, or locating a chain in the grass roots, or checking the undersink plastic drain traps in hotels for lost earrings without having to take it apart to see.....Yeah, then one would come in handy!

BUT, you DONT NEED one for beachhunting, waterhunting, totlotting, cladstabbing/jewelry targets 5" to surface, snow hill hunting, or for finding probably 98% of deep silvers you missed on the initial excavation..

Even with a pinpointer, by the time you poke it around in the dirt pile, or run it down in the hole, its faster just to sweep the dirt pile with the coil, if the target is not in the pile, its still down in the hole!:laughing:...

Consequently, its just another gimmic you DONT need! Like kneepads, bug spray, or underwear! I hunt just fine without any of this extra stuff!:laughing: FWIW, my car doesnt even have electric windows! One less thing to worry about!

....I can see where a hand held pinpointer would come in handy for really deep on edge coins, or locating a chain in the grass roots, or checking the undersink plastic drain traps in hotels for lost earrings without having to take it apart to see.....Yeah, then one would come in handy!

BUT, you DONT NEED one for beachhunting, waterhunting, totlotting, cladstabbing/jewelry targets 5" to surface, snow hill hunting, or for finding probably 98% of deep silvers you missed on the initial excavation..

Even with a pinpointer, by the time you poke it around in the dirt pile, or run it down in the hole, its faster just to sweep the dirt pile with the coil, if the target is not in the pile, its still down in the hole!:laughing:...

Consequently, its just another gimmic you DONT need! Like kneepads, bug spray, or underwear! I hunt just fine without any of this extra stuff!:laughing: FWIW, my car doesnt even have electric windows! One less thing to worry about!

"its faster just to sweep the dirt pile with the coil"

I don't handle dirt with my hands any more than I have to. I ain't a dirt waver. I detest wearing gloves too. A pinpointer is ideal in my case.

So, I have a hole dug. Target its most likely in the dug dirt. No certainty of course. A pinpointer says, "It's still in the hole" while I'm on my knees with the digger. Waving the dug dirt over the coil is an unneeded step until your target is known to be outta the hole. A PPr swiftly determines if it's in or out of the hole without getting up.

IMO, using a hand held pinpointer is cleaner, faster and gets me back to swinging for the next target quicker. Add in the heat and cold conditions we all experience, and waving dirt just gets to be an unneeded "nag."

I guess I am like a few of you. When I started detecting with a BFO, you learned how to locate your target fast with your tector. When I get a beep. Out comes my screwdriver. I probe the ground lightly. Bump, there it is , about 2 or 3 " deep. A small slit in the ground and I can pop it out. Yes, that takes a lot of practice, but you can do it with out a pin pointer. Never used one and don't need to. If I have to cut a plug. I flip open the door. Now my tector is very light. I grab it since it is right their beside me and scan the plug and hole. If it is in the hole my tector will tell me that. I dig a little deeper until I find that thing. Most of the time , less than 1 minute and it is out.
I am just old timer ... KEN :D

I don't have one and have found all of my targets without one... I can't comment on the time savings because again, I've never used one.

It does seem common sense though. If I'm waving the detector over the hole and I get a signal - the target is still in the hole.

If I'm waving the detector over the dirt pile I've dug out and I get a signal - then the target is out of the hole and in the dirt pile.

Seems kinda silly typing out and posting the obvious, but it's true... isn't it? I'm certain once I use one, I'll have that AH HA (!) moment... I've just not been able to bring myself to spend the $150 when I could use that cash towards upgrading my coil to get the DD I've been wanting.

Back
Top Bottom