• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Read a thread about the racer 2, owners ditching them

Well that never seems to work for me. I go over a spot with the E-Trac until it says its dry then have taken the Deus, AT Pro, Racer 2 and dug nothing but trash. And I mean nothing but trash. That's why I say I feel pretty confident in my cherry picking at this point.

100 percent my thoughts..if I work a area with the Etrac,,the only thing I'm leaving behind is pennies and a occasional nickel ,,and that's just because I'm cherry picking

Well that never seems to work for me. I go over a spot with the E-Trac until it says its dry then have taken the Deus, AT Pro, Racer 2 and dug nothing but trash. And I mean nothing but trash. That's why I say I feel pretty confident in my cherry picking at this point.

In all honesty that is where I am now. Even if I could get more than what I have gotten with the ctx I find I dont enjoy myself enough to go with another machine.

Of course this might find something the etrac missed.lol

Attachments

• IMG_20171109_105436.jpg
    IMG_20171109_105436.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 32
I agree to a point BCK but while new technology hasn't done a lot in giving more depth in the last 20 years, accurate target ID'ing has advanced by leaps and bounds. I have a lot of faith in my detector and my ability to hear and SEE the difference between good and bad even at the very extremes of my detectors depth ability.

I have no doubt you and your detector can tell the difference between a good and a bad target. That is generally a case of black and white. It is the iffy signals for which you yourself is the final signal processor and single determiner of whether to dig or not.

Yes, the signal processing has gotten better and better over the years. It isn't perfect however and the situation pops up many times a hunt where the detector can really do no more than say, "There is something here. It may be good. It may be bad. It may both. I don't know" - and the burden of decision is solely upon the user. The detector itself only provides data points. It is the knowledge of the machine and its language that is really the most important thing. Some machines are better at providing the data. Some people are better at interpreting the data.

Loved my Racer 2. Like my E-Trac better.

I think technology is getting to that point where the old beep-N-dig concept is becoming obsolete. Yes a lot of old timers will continue to beat that "if you don't dig it all you're missing" and such, but I find this newer technology does a very good job of cherry picking, and you get more return for your time. I've known it for some time now and others are starting to find the same thing.

Oh yeah... Once you know your machine, the trash ratio just drop off like crazy. But again, you have to know your machine.

If I was only a coin shooter, I can imagine, even with the AT Pro, that I'd be digging only an occasional piece of trash. Too easy to tell what is a coin and not. If the Racer 2 is that much better, then I could see totally loving it for the clad.

My problem is that my brain is wired to calculate the value of what is not clad compared to what is clad. I currently run about 3.5x the value of jewelry (sold prices, not retail), over the clad I find... so... I will keep on digging trash!

Skippy

Yes, the signal processing has gotten better and better over the years. It isn't perfect however and the situation pops up many times a hunt where the detector can really do no more than say, "There is something here. It may be good. It may be bad. It may both. I don't know" - and the burden of decision is solely upon the user. The detector itself only provides data points. It is the knowledge of the machine and its language that is really the most important thing. Some machines are better at providing the data. Some people are better at interpreting the data.

WELL stated. Seriously. nice post.

Back
Top Bottom