A weekend full of firsts

DiggerMD

Elite Member
Saturday I went out for a couple of hours 1 at an older school and 1 at my spot where I found my only silver coin. At the school not much some 70-90 clad. I thought it would of had some older stuff. My little local spot produced some more firsts for me, a thimble and a harmonica reed also a 1924 Wheatie.
Sunday was awesome. I left out early and headed to a park in a neighboring town, where I was confronted a few days ago and told "You can metal detect but you can't "dig"" so I went today to introduce them to coin popping, not digging right? Well I had my best day yet. Got a gold gilded civil war general service button, possibly a replica but still looks cool. In this town they have a lot of reinactments and vendors come with it. Got an ear ring with some sort of stone, I can't find any markings but I think it's silver. A ring I will call copper underplated silver:laughing: but the best was a beautiful class ring that is inscribed so I will be trying to find the owner. This was a great weekend.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 248
Awesome. Hope you find the owner of the class ring. I'd love to find something that I could return to its owner. Do you have a better pic of it? Does it say Naval Academy?

Yes it does. I hope to find him as well it’s prwtty cool to think about.

Attachments

• FBCEFF09-4331-4752-9774-122BDA12459F.jpg
    FBCEFF09-4331-4752-9774-122BDA12459F.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 218
Congrats on the cool finds!:D Maybe the class ring belongs to someone influential that can get the "can't dig" ban lifted. :newidea:This would be a very positive humanitarian story for your local newspaper or better yet news station. It could help with the no digging rule when you find the owner of that ring. There is more than one way to skin a cat.:yes:

Congrats on the cool finds!:D Maybe the class ring belongs to someone influential that can get the "can't dig" ban lifted. :newidea:This would be a very positive humanitarian story for your local newspaper or better yet news station. It could help with the no digging rule when you find the owner of that ring. There is more than one way to skin a cat.:yes:

I wrote the city attorney last week explaining how our own code of conduct works and gave a brief explanation of how we dig plugs hoping he would reconsider. You read my mind about using it for influence. Here’s what I thought let me know what you think.

Dear sir recently I was out on a city park metal detecting but not digging. I was able to locate an inscribed class ring from the naval academy. My plans are to return the ring no matter what but I would be willing to give the city credit for allowing d a select group of detectors to detect city property with the understanding that we will return anything identifiable to the rightful owner or it could say that this was found “in spite” of the cities unfair treatment of the hobby. Please let me know how you would rather it read.

A few years back a police officer from a city near me was hit by a fleeing suspect's car while the officer was trying to put down spike strips. The suspect drove straight for the officer hitting him so hard that his wedding ring was knocked off of his ring finger. A couple detectorists went to that area some time later where the officer was struck and killed to search for the ring. It was found and returned to the widow. How can anyone not have at least a little respect for this great hobby? It made me feel proud when I heard about those guys deciding to do this of their own accord.:yes:

Dear sir recently I was out on a city park metal detecting but not digging. I was able to locate an inscribed class ring from the naval academy. My plans are to return the ring no matter what but I would be willing to give the city credit for allowing d a select group of detectors to detect city property with the understanding that we will return anything identifiable to the rightful owner or it could say that this was found “in spite” of the cities unfair treatment of the hobby.

Yeah, this is likely to entrench them in their beliefs. It's like poking them in the eye, as it currently reads. Especially about "give the city credit." That's almost insulting. Like the "city" cares about "credit." It's like a donation in someone's name. The person who donates gets the tax credit, and the person receiving the donation GETS the donation. The "name" is name only, and really doesn't matter.

Instead of pointing out their problems, just present the excellencies of the hobby. I think you'll make a better impression.

Something like,
Dear sir,

Recently I was out on a city park metal detecting but not digging (as per ordinance). I was able to locate an inscribed class ring from the naval academy. I am in the process of locating the person who originally lost the ring, to return it to them. In addition to this activity, I pulled many pieces of garbage from the land, and left the location in better condition that I found it. I know that in the past, there may have been misconceptions about metal detectorists and our contributions to keeping the city nice.
I hope my actions shine favorably on the hobby and help dispel the inaccurate beliefs that surround this great hobby. I would be happy to speak with the city council on this matter, as I know a great many cities, across the United States, not only allow the hobby, but actively support it with ordinances protecting the activity. The reason is quite simple. For every few dollars in change that is retrieved, there can be pounds of trash removed from our city's lands. This is a win-win for hobbiests, and the citizens of our town.

Thanks!

<name>

Then you could send along some pictures of trash!

Cheers,

Skippy

Last edited:
Completely off topic... what is this? I found one today too. (This is a screen shot of your find)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171105-194453.jpg
    Screenshot_20171105-194453.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 144
Completely off topic... what is this? I found one today too. (This is a screen shot of your find)

I think it's some sort of electrical connector but I'm not 100% sure. I guess I should look it up.

Well I found some lettering on the back K W and a date Apr. 7, 1914 I think and found this. Thanks for asking made me investigate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
View attachment 398977
Yeah, this is likely to entrench them in their beliefs. It's like poking them in the eye, as it currently reads. Especially about "give the city credit." That's almost insulting. Like the "city" cares about "credit." It's like a donation in someone's name. The person who donates gets the tax credit, and the person receiving the donation GETS the donation. The "name" is name only, and really doesn't matter.

Instead of pointing out their problems, just present the excellencies of the hobby. I think you'll make a better impression.

Something like,
Dear sir,

Recently I was out on a city park metal detecting but not digging (as per ordinance). I was able to locate an inscribed class ring from the naval academy. I am in the process of locating the person who originally lost the ring, to return it to them. In addition to this activity, I pulled many pieces of garbage from the land, and left the location in better condition that I found it. I know that in the past, there may have been misconceptions about metal detectorists and our contributions to keeping the city nice.
I hope my actions shine favorably on the hobby and help dispel the inaccurate beliefs that surround this great hobby. I would be happy to speak with the city council on this matter, as I know a great many cities, across the United States, not only allow the hobby, but actively support it with ordinances protecting the activity. The reason is quite simple. For every few dollars in change that is retrieved, there can be pounds of trash removed from our city's lands. This is a win-win for hobbiests, and the citizens of our town.

Thanks!

<name>

Then you could send along some pictures of trash!

Cheers,

Skippy

The post was a bit rough I know I was glad no one got upset with the "select few detectors" part. This is what I sent last week and I will give it a little time before I go confrontational.

It was brought to my attention today that digging while metal detecting is prohibited on any city owned property. I would like to argue my case for a change in this decision. As someone who enjoys this hobby I want to do anything possible to ensure that it is seen in a good and fair light. As an overall group we take great pride in our code of conduct. We strive to leave the hobby for others to enjoy as much as we do. I hope that you will read on and reconsider the cities stance.

First of all we are the only hobby that removes trash on a regular basis. One of out codes of conduct is that if you dig it you take it, which means of 100 retrieved targets, if 99 of them are trash then that is 99 pieces of trash removed out of the parks and properties. Believe me this is not an exaggerated proportion. We instill in each one of our fellow detectors that leaving the property as good if not better than it was found. We teach several low impact retrieval techniques, from digging a plug to coin shooting. I know the first impression when hearing the term "digging a plug" is not what a city wants to hear, but please allow me to explain what we do and why. We dig a 1/2-3/4 circle in order to keep the plug from ever being sucked up by mowers or moved unintentionally. We dig the plug under the root line which allows the grass to continue to grow and reintroduce itself into the lawn in a very short time. Then after the target is retrieved we place all rocks and soil back into the hole prior to reinserting the plug. The goal is to make it appear as if we had never been there. Now for the coin popping, this is an even less intrusive but does require a digging tool of some sort. This process starts by locating the target with the machine then inserting a probing device to locate the exact location of the target. We then slip a digging tool under the target and raise it to the surface. The only damage is the width of the target, no more than a squirrel would make or a pair of cleats on a wet field. We enjoy our hobby and want to be able to enjoy it in as many places as possible. We want to be cooperative and respectful. The only places we seem to be allowed are what we call private permissions but we are the only ones that offer at least a little bit of service in return for the permission. When we are at a private residence on a beautiful lawn we make sure that we do everything we can to be allowed back in the future, we would show the same respect to any public land we were permitted to use.

I'm sorry if this long winded and I appreciate you taking the time to indulge me.

Very nice work all the way around there MD! Let us know about the ring return effort..get pics if you can on the hand off...

I don't think I would send a letter to the city saying I found something until I found the rightful owner. There may be laws about turning in items found on city property or anywhere for that matter. Instead of getting the desired result they may take it upon them selves to punish you in order to make an example.

I don't think I would send a letter to the city saying I found something until I found the rightful owner. There may be laws about turning in items found on city property or anywhere for that matter. Instead of getting the desired result they may take it upon them selves to punish you in order to make an example.

True. Theft by finding is actually a law here.

Back
Top Bottom