Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 01-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Elite Member

I buy a lotto ticket too and i will probably never hit the lotto but there is that small chance.The excitement of first getting a glimpse of the item i have found keeps me going...

Old 01-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Supporter

I detect because:

1. Enjoy being outside.
2. Thrill of the "hunt"
3. Potential for monetary gain.

In my case here in LA, there are no places I can go close by to look for relics, so I am after the clad and jewelry from the beaches.

In less than a year I have paid for my detector twice with finds and all though the "value" of my time may be worth more, I would not trade my time near the ocean for anything. It is therapy of sorts for me.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Great thread!!! I bought my MXT, first day, 2 tot lots, 1=Platinum ring,1=White gold pendant with 1/4 carat diamond,almost paid for my detector 1st day, I know this is not normal,but I got very lucky...you don't need to spend alot of money on a detector, but better machines=better results...Curt

Old 01-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by CTCurt View post
Great thread!!! I bought my MXT, first day, 2 tot lots, 1=Platinum ring,1=White gold pendant with 1/4 carat diamond,almost paid for my detector 1st day, I know this is not normal,but I got very lucky...you don't need to spend alot of money on a detector, but better machines=better results...Curt
I agree with you, especially the last part.....as I am already trying to justify an upgrade. The Delta that I have would make a good backup or guest detector. Now I just need about 100 more reasons.....lol

Old 01-05-2011, 07:50 PM

Metal detecting to me is one of the greatest things I've ever done. It's incredible and I don't know exactly why and frankly don't care. I've never had to ask myself if it's worth it. I just really enjoy the moment I see what it is I dug for. It's great.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Elite Member

Besides, we can get used detectors from all the disgruntled ones at great prices I got a CZ-5 brand new in the box for $300, a Royal Sabre in great shape for $75, etc.Who says detectors are expensive?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Elite Member

If I was detecting to get rich, I would have probably quit thirty years ago. The true treasure is having fun. The thrill of the unknown, of what your next find will be. When people start doing it for the money, they get greedy. They don't trust anyone. They are disappointed when their next find isn't a silver coin or a gold ring. It doesn't take long to lose interest when that's all you're doing it for. I don't expect to find riches, If I ever do, that will just be a bonus to the best hobby a person can have..

Old 01-05-2011, 09:24 PM
In memory of...

Originally Posted by medicchief View post
My top ten reasons for taking up the hobby.

1. I am an adrenalin junkie, and need the exercise. (I love the thrill of the chase)
2. It is safer than riding my Harley.
3. I am a combat veteran and it helps me deal with............
4. It is something I can do with my grandson, whom I am raising (4 year old)
5. It is alot cheaper than going to a bar. (typically won't get you arrested either)
6. I am into the scientific aspects of detecting.
7. I can get in from work and be detecting and having fun within minutes.
8. I might find something very valuable.
9. It is relatively cheap to do on a regular basis.
10. My wife is ok with it!!!!!

I didn't pick up the hobby (a hobby, for fun and not to make a living) expecting to get rich, but I am ok with it if I do.

Chief, did you retire from the military? The reason I ask is that I'm a 21 year Air Force retired E-7......thanks for serving!!!!!!!!!!!

Dusty

Old 01-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Elite Member

does this mean im not going to get that good deal on all that barely used equipment, ??? ,,, hang in there medic chief, welcome home, not all wounds are visible, so ive recently been diagn----,,, told,,, i remember the corpsmen we had when i was in, those guys were a breed all there own, happy huntin yall,

Old 01-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by MurdochBaines View post
Hey all. I'm a newbie. I was wondering what keeps you going. Alot of you out there spend $500 on equipment and you will never find $500 worth of finds. Is it the thrill that the next thing could be a 24k bar? is it the history behind coins? Is it that you are uncovering the past? I want to convince myself that it's good enough to spend a few $$ to find less than what I paid for my equipment.
I play softball. Guys pay $300 for a bat. They never make a penny.

I fish. Guys pay $7,000 for a boat. They never make a penny.

I watch TV. Guys pay $2,000 for a TV. They never make a penny.

Get it? Metal detecting is one of the few hobbies that, after you've bought a detector, puts money in your pocket rather than takes it out.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Elite Member

I think I'll use this topic for my next podcast.

If you answered this thread, and would like your real name mentioned on my show (if I use your note), please email me the info at danhughesmail@gmail.com.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Elite Member

Metal Detecting is a hobby not a way of life or a career. Its there to enjoy. Its like a man who goes fishing, except your fishing for something different...Just enjoy and relax...

Old 01-07-2011, 01:28 PM
In memory of...

I'm just glad most people in my area spend all their extra cash on ATVs and snowmobiles......I don't mind being the only one in town with a MD!!!!!

Dusty

Old 01-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Dustyloins View post
I'm just glad most people in my area spend all their extra cash on ATVs and snowmobiles......I don't mind being the only one in town with a MD!!!!!

Dusty
Wish I could say the same... with all the new detectors for XMAS I may have to take a number at the beach...

Old 01-07-2011, 01:50 PM
In memory of...

Originally Posted by HighCap56 View post
Wish I could say the same... with all the new detectors for XMAS I may have to take a number at the beach...
I can imagine the beach thing would be cramped......I used to go to North Padre in Texas back in the 90's and people were always walking the beach with detectors....

Dusty

Old 01-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by dogpound View post
and look at it this way.......its all tax free
Don't say that too loud! We will all end up having to purchase licenses and turn in our finds at the end of the day.....

Old 01-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by dan View post
I fish. Guys pay $7,000 for a boat. They never make a penny.

Get it? Metal detecting is one of the few hobbies that, after you've bought a detector, puts money in your pocket rather than takes it out.
fisherman never make a penny but fishing puts valuable food on the table

Originally Posted by dan View post
I think I'll use this topic for my next podcast.

If you answered this thread, and would like your real name mentioned on my show (if I use your note), please email me the info at danhughesmail@gmail.com.
i prefer a link to the podcast you'll make.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by beest View post
fisherman never make a penny but fishing puts valuable food on the table
Fishermen who spend $7,000 on bass boats generally follow catch-and-release programs - they don't eat what they catch. I've fished for over half a century and have never eaten anything I caught. (Of course, there's not a lot of meat on 8-inch smallmouth bass).

i prefer a link to the podcast you'll make.
The link is in my sig block: http://thetreasurecorner.com. Thanks for asking!

Old 01-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Elite Member

thanks !!!!

Old 01-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Elite Member

When I bought my first detector a year and a half ago my wife said that's 200 dollars you could have spent on something else. I started finding some stuff then found a 10k bracket with 60 diamonds. Sold it and paid for my next detector in my first full year I made a little over $1000 with all the change and old coins and other jewelry so it definately pays for itself over time.