What is your choise for a detector & why

Astronut

I am open to suggestions on a real good all around metal detector for doing just about all one will do including some but not a lot of prospecting. I know there are many brands to look at with different prices. I want to stay under $750.00. After reading for the last 4 or 5 days it becomes some confusing. I want a good coin shooter detector with the capability for a little nugget shooting also from time to time but not a priority. All feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Hoping to get quite a few different responses from forum members and why there recommendation on a particular model detector. Thanks

Bill

Xterra 705,only machine that honestly does it all,,as far as I'm aware of it's the only machine with coin mode and a real prospecting mode.

The Minelab Xterra 705 is probably one of the most versatile machines out there. Change the coil and you have virtually a different machine for a different application. You have the option of a 18.75 Khz coil which is a good higher frequency for your gold detecting. Then there is a 7.5 Khz coil that is a good frequency for your general detecting but is really good for coin shooting. Then....there is the 3 Khz coil that is a good low frequency that is excellent for your higher conductive targets...."deeper" silver coins. The 705 can be had for $500-600 new right now. Really good machine. Just a good option to consider......
Good luck!

Get you a good used Deus, awesome little coin shooter/relic hunter...buy the HF COIL and then you have a nugget hunter too!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Any machine that has tone bin changing capability can be sorted out to become a good coin shooter. Choose a machine that can adapt different frequency coils and it will hopefully increase your chances of finding whatever type of conductor you might want to hunt for.

Wait for the Minelab Equinox,its waterproof to ten feet,lightweight multifrequency so it should
be great in saltwater. It has fast recovery so it should be great in iron laden sites. It also seems real deep! What else could you want, oh its affordable. $650 and $899.00 although
$899 is a stretch for me.

Xterra 705 hands down. Wait a minute, someone else used that. Anyway, it's a great all around machine and fun to learn. Easy to start with, but lots of good settings to learn and use as you get better at the sport.

IMO, the only machine that can rival the Xterra 705 for your intended use may possibly be the new as yet unavailable Equinox 800. The 705 is currently the most versatile single frequency detector on the market, bar none....and they just saw a price drop.

IMO, the only machine that can rival the Xterra 705 for your intended use may possibly be the new as yet unavailable Equinox 800. The 705 is currently the most versatile single frequency detector on the market, bar none....and they just saw a price drop.

I know some have been touting it as the new Etrac, but i agree with where your heading, the Equinox is the replacement for the Xterra line.

I will add another +1 on the X-Terra 705, For the type of hunting you described you will not be disappointed with the 705. It I.Ds coins very accurately even the deeper ones, coils in three different frequency's and a prospecting mode, and to top it off it can be had for about 2/3 of your budget freeing up $$ for other equipment.

the Equinox is the replacement for the Xterra line.
Ummmm....no it's not. The Xterra line isn't going away anytime soon. The technology developed for it is the basis for other newer machines, like a corner stone to build on.....or a baseline.
The Xterra is the first all digital processed machine. It's V-Flex and SmartCoil technologies were hybridized with Quattro/Explorer/E-trac FBS to become FBS2 (a.k.a. CTX3030), which has now had more digital integration and morphed into an Equinox.

The bottom line as far as this thread goes, is that especially given it's price point, user defined features, and a three year transferrable warranty, the 705 is the best choice for the given tasks.

I tried the Xterra 305 and 505 and I just wasn't all that impressed with their performance. For less money a good used Whites MXT Pro will run off and leave the 705 in its dust. No contest. That's my opinion.:grin:

beephead

Ummmm....no it's not. The Xterra line isn't going away anytime soon. The technology developed for it is the basis for other newer machines, like a corner stone to build on.....or a baseline.
The Xterra is the first all digital processed machine. It's V-Flex and SmartCoil technologies were hybridized with Quattro/Explorer/E-trac FBS to become FBS2 (a.k.a. CTX3030), which has now had more digital integration and morphed into an Equinox.

The bottom line as far as this thread goes, is that especially given it's price point, user defined features, and a three year transferrable warranty, the 705 is the best choice for the given tasks.

Ooops, didn't mean to upset you. Of course I don't work for Minelab and am guessing you don't either, so on my end it's my opinion. And hate to assume but would guess yours in an opinion as well.......unless you know something the rest of us not know, which you may with your initial response, I apologize, but I disagree.

( WARNING: this is simply an opinion stated and supported by this poster, not intended to inflame, tick off, frustrate any readers. However this statement could possibly cause disease dismemberment, and death in the state of California in some way shape or matter.)

Hey Bill, what kind of detector you using right now, if any?

Some of the models suggested are great detectors, but some are not for someone new or use to a really stable detector.

The Garrett AT Gold or AT Pro are great stable models and easy to use. Are you opposed to a good used detector? There are some killer deals out there on good used detectors that will whop up on many of the lower-end new detectors, and for much less.

Last edited:
Wait for the Minelab Equinox,its waterproof to ten feet,lightweight multifrequency so it should
be great in saltwater. It has fast recovery so it should be great in iron laden sites. It also seems real deep! What else could you want, oh its affordable. $650 and $899.00 although
$899 is a stretch for me.
I see where people are pre-ordering for less than $800

Ooops, didn't mean to upset you.
No worries. I'm not upset at all. :cool:
I tried the Xterra 305 and 505 and I just wasn't all that impressed with their performance. For less money a good used Whites MXT Pro will run off and leave the 705 in its dust. No contest. That's my opinion.:grin:

beephead
By going to the Xterra over the MTX Pro you'll save 1.7lbs., you'll run on half the batteries, you'll have three frequencies to choose from instead of just one, you'll have 8 search modes instead of 3, you'll have auto/manual GB, GB Tracking and Tracking Offset, you'll have 28 tones instead of 7, you'll have auto/manual Noise Cancel Channel, and you'll have 12 coils to choose from (of which only three are not waterproof).
IMO, the "contest" is not even close.

No worries. I'm not upset at all. :cool:
By going to the Xterra over the MTX Pro you'll save 1.7lbs., you'll run on half the batteries, you'll have three frequencies to choose from instead of just one, you'll have 8 search modes instead of 3, you'll have auto/manual GB, GB Tracking and Tracking Offset, you'll have 28 tones instead of 7, you'll have auto/manual Noise Cancel Channel, and you'll have 12 coils to choose from (of which only three are not waterproof).
IMO, the "contest" is not even close.

Based on that list of criteria, the Nokta Impact would suit him better than the 705.

3 frequencies
12 search modes (including 2 non-motion and 2 all metal modes)
Up to 99 tones
Fully adjustable iron audio
Fully adjustable tone breaks
Customizable tones
Built in wireless headphone module
3 selectable target depth levels

Based on that list of criteria, the Nokta Impact would suit him better than the 705.

3 frequencies
12 search modes (including 2 non-motion and 2 all metal modes)
Up to 99 tones
Fully adjustable iron audio
Fully adjustable tone breaks
Customizable tones
Built in wireless headphone module
3 selectable target depth levels

The 3 frequencies on the Impact love to eat batteries and the videos I watched show the Impact showing bigger pieces of metal reading as a coin like the Racer 2 does.

I would choose the EX-TERRA 705 before I would consider the Impact.

Back
Top Bottom