Why change so often or own so many?

I can see upgrading, but why keep the old one? After I got the hang of my AT Pro, I couldn't stand using my Ace 250. I sold it for $150 on eBay and never looked back.

I use different detectors for different situations or types of hunting. For example, when I'm wanting to do some selective digging or coin shooting, I reach for the CTX 3030 due to its accurate ID and unmistakable tones on deep silver. When I'm relic hunting, scouting or detecting a "hunted out" site looking to find items that were missed before, I reach for a faster detector like the Deus or Equinox. I also like to keep an extra detector around as a loaner. I spend the time to learn each of my detectors so that's not an issue. I actually enjoy learning and using different machines.

For me, I stepped up as I found that this hobby was going to take, however I've sold all of my old ones, except for a couple of low end for the kids to use.

BCD

Yes but that #1 Location can very well be dependent on what machine you're using.

I agree in the idea that having 1 detector to master is best, but new technology has done me far better, at this point, than mastering 1 detector has.

I also like trying new detectors if they have all the right stuff in my opinion. The reason is it has proven to be a good thing is the past.

Why are some of you changing detectors so often, or own half a dozen or so.:?:
It just doesn't make much sense to me.
Better to invest in doing research for new locations and getting permissions.:yes:
Also, it takes time to really master a machine, many detectorists give up to soon on a good detector.
I only use two, one analogue machine for digging everything above iron, and a digital one that is better in 'guessing' what is under my coil so I can ignore certain targets without missing to many good ones.
I am sure finds will improve if you stick to just one or two detectors and invest more in research for new locations. :research:

Choice of detector isn't the holy grail, by far!

1st: Location!
2nd: Experience and focus from the user.
3th: Choice of detector.

I agree on this list.

:lol:
d9084cd79472fcec791c1e39ba43aa63.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol:

If someone smokes a pack of cigarettes a day, at around $8 per pack, that's $240-$248 per month and no one says boo about that. For that money you could buy one entry level detector each and every month or a mid price detector every other month. I only have 3 detectors, one for me, one for my girlfriend, and one for backup. I've sold some of my old machines and in a way regretted it just for the memories those machines have given me. Let's face it, we're kids at heart and new detectors are like new toys.

I don't know how many detectors I have because I haven't counted them lately. I've been detecting for around forty years and most of them are vintage detectors such as my original Silver Sabre and original Bounty Hunter Big Bud. They still work and find coins and I enjoy the challenge of hunting with 30+ year old machines. Since I retired I can't afford to buy new machines and most of my newer ones I bought used anyway. It's always good to have an extra along because the other day my hunting parter's detector wasn't working so I loaned him my spare. It saved what would have been a long trip for nothing. My oldest and my newest detector that I bought before I retired.
M-Scope2.gif G2_2a.JPG

As I see it LOCATION is often dependent on what detector you use. I mean I have quite a few sites that I know the location is good, but it takes the right detectors to take advantage of what the location has to offer.

As an example. Take our city park. Amazing location but to swing the average detector there is useless. A couple of our old fort sites are great locations, but again, swinging the average detector, no matter how good you are with that detector, is going to net you nill. Only the right detectors will bring these locations to life. So its not all about location. Although that is very important as well.

I think too many have yet to understand the importance of a good detector in the scheme of things. All I can say is wait until you have hunted your favorite sites for 30 years and they have stopped producing. Then you'll understand the importance of the right detector.

Excal ii for the water, etrac for the land with the xterra 705 as a worthy back up or loaner when my wife comes along and the sov gt, i just haven't got around to selling it yet...

For the same reason some folks own one or more of the following examples.

Like, 14 guns, 12 rods and reels, 6 cars, 17 winter coats, 4 skil saws, 3 cordless drills, too many pairs of boots, 2 bass boats, 4 dirt bikes, 8 metal detectors, ect ect..

It really has nothing to do with efficiency, need, rationale, or anything such as that..

(It's because we want to, and we can, so we do);)

For the same reason some folks own one or more of the following examples.

Like, 14 guns, 12 rods and reels, 6 cars, 17 winter coats, 4 skil saws, 3 cordless drills, too many pairs of boots, 2 bass boats, 4 dirt bikes, 8 metal detectors, ect ect..

It really has nothing to do with efficiency, need, rationale, or anything such as that..

(It's because we want to, and we can, so we do);)

That would be one unbridled case of consumerism. Yikes.

Why are some of you changing detectors so often, or own half a dozen or so.:?:
It just doesn't make much sense to me.
Better to invest in doing research for new locations and getting permissions.:yes:
Also, it takes time to really master a machine, many detectorists give up to soon on a good detector.
I only use two, one analogue machine for digging everything above iron, and a digital one that is better in 'guessing' what is under my coil so I can ignore certain targets without missing to many good ones.
I am sure finds will improve if you stick to just one or two detectors and invest more in research for new locations. :research:

Choice of detector isn't the holy grail, by far!

1st: Location!
2nd: Experience and focus from the user.
3th: Choice of detector.

Why would anyone give a crapola about what others do?
I'm not one that jumps on the latest greatest but if someone wants to do that, I say have at it. None of my business.

Why would anyone give a crapola about what others do?
I'm not one that jumps on the latest greatest but if someone wants to do that, I say have at it. None of my business.

Then why do you give a !!!! that he's curious about why people buy so many detectors. Seems like that should be none of your business too.

Then why do you give a !!!! that he's curious about why people buy so many detectors. Seems like that should be none of your business too.

Sometimes someone needs to do a public service for those that....need a bit of help.

You're welcome.

Oh, and to answer your question, he wasn't asking a simple question, he was busting on those that like lots of detectors in the form of a question.
Youre welcome again..

Back
Top Bottom