Where To Learn More About Detectors?

Bigfeet

Greetings All,
I am new to the forum here as everyone can tell from my post count. I am looking at getting back into the hobby of metal detecting from a 10+ year hiatus. I am wondering if anyone can suggest where I can do some research on the best metal detector to purchase for beach work around the $1000 mark. I have a few ideas, but would like to make sure I get the best bang for my dollar.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Bigfeet

Welcome to the forum!

Are you looking for a beach machine, and not water machine? A lake beach or ocean beach? Is this beach real trashy? or deep sand? Does it get hit regularly by other detectorists? Are you in Florida, Texas or Virginia, or Cape Cod?

Read some reviews at http://metaldetectorreviews.net

Carol K said:
Welcome to the forum!

Are you looking for a beach machine, and not water machine? A lake beach or ocean beach? Is this beach real trashy? or deep sand? Does it get hit regularly by other detectorists? Are you in Florida, Texas or Virginia, or Cape Cod?

Carol,
Wow, I guess I should have been more specific. Sorry about that. I am looking for a detector that can work in both a lake and ocean beach environment. I live in Florida, and plan on using it all over the East Coast (including the Gulf). Trashy, I do not know. Deep sand, I would say yes. I would also say that the areas I am going to hit for the most part do get hit by other people, but there is such a large number of people visiting these sites daily, it should not be an issue. I hope that helps.

Regards,
Bigfeet

Well if you are just going to detect dry sand then any detector will do that. Then the question arises of whether you want to go for something lightweight, ease of use, or long learning curve and/or heavy. The more expensive detectors have longer learning curves, because more technology is built into them, or maybe you would like something you just "turn on and go"

If you are going to be traveling, you need something that is easy to store, and won't get the wires broke in handling.

Do you plan on going short one or two hour trips, or "all day hunts?"

I have no issues with a long learning curve, as long as I have something to learn or read from. I do plan on traveling with the unit, both via car and airplane. I may end up scuba diving with it, but not at great depths or for the majority of the time. I figure that since I live in Florida, most of the time will be spent at the beach and in 5 feet or so of water.

Regards,
Bigfeet

There are several different types of detectors. Unfortunately, they do not make a detector yet that "does it all" That why detectorists own sometimes up to 3 different detectors and even more. Some people on this forum have 12 detectors. But most, have two.

One for the land detecting and one for the water detecting. Then some have a detector for trashy areas, and some have a detector that detects all metal.

So when buying a detector you need to choose the detector that fits where you will be detecting the most. Ocean detectors do not work well in a lake environment and visa versa.

Tell me which detector you are thinking about getting, and I'll tell you what it does.

Carol,
Very interesting. Well, then it looks like I need to look into one for beaches now, and a lake detector longer term. Any ideas on whether the Garrett Sea Hunter, Infinium, or Excalibur 1000 is the best?

Thanks,
Bigfeet

The Garrett Sea Hunter is actually made for scuba diving and does not do well in surf.

The Excalibur does well in dry sand, wet sand, and water, but trades off depth for discing out trash, and has a weight issue, you can't swing it all day.

The Infinium? I have not heard any rave reviews on it.

Carol K said:
The Garrett Sea Hunter is actually made for scuba diving and does not do well in surf.

The Excalibur does well in dry sand, wet sand, and water, but trades off depth for discing out trash, and has a weight issue, you can't swing it all day.

The Infinium? I have not heard any rave reviews on it.

Ouch. Sounds like all are a bad idea. Ok, any suggestions?

Bigfeet

What about the Surf-master PI Pro?

Bigfeet

P.S. Sorry for being persistent, but I wanted to purchase this on Friday.

You know what I would suggest for you is the Whites PI.

1. you'll be in deep sand
2. you'll be in surf
3. you'll find more than your competition
4. You need to dig everything on the beach anyway.
5. No weight issues
6. No learning curve
7. Deepest machine out there right now.
8. you can use it scuba diving
9. It picks up all metal, but eventually you will recognize the differnt signals.

the minus's
1. you won't have much success on trashy beaches
2. You can't dig parks or playgrounds.
3. You will miss small gold, like earrings and thin chains.

Carol K said:
You know what I would suggest for you is the Whites PI.

1. you'll be in deep sand
2. you'll be in surf
3. you'll find more than your competition
4. You need to dig everything on the beach anyway.
5. No weight issues
6. No learning curve
7. Deepest machine out there right now.
8. you can use it scuba diving
9. It picks up all metal, but eventually you will recognize the differnt signals.

the minus's
1. you won't have much success on trashy beaches
2. You can't dig parks or playgrounds.
3. You will miss small gold, like earrings and thin chains.

I think that maybe the one for me. I had just started to read about it. Thank you very much for all of your help. Missing thin chains and earrings are no bother to me...

Bigfeet

Yep, the Surf-master PI Pro ought do it for you.

You're welcome. Be sure to stop back and share with us you're cool finds. ;)

PS Use part of that money you'll save, on getting a good scoop and I mean a good one.

Carol K said:
Yep, the Surf-master PI Pro ought do it for you.

You're welcome. Be sure to stop back and share with us you're cool finds. ;)

Good deal. It is funny what you said earlier about the Sea Hunter. Growing up as a kid many, many years ago, I used one with my father on the beaches here in Florida. The only thing I (we) ever found worth anything was a woman's watch that I saw with my eyes on the beach. It was definately not a good beach detector.

Bigfeet

What Carol says is right on although you will find chains if they have a big enough clasp because the PI only see's one link... I remember when I found a chain with my PI I ran the coil over it and got silence except for the clasp.. I don't care about chains anyway.. :)

lol, well it depends... on whether you'll be hunting mostly dry sand or water. Whether you want to drag a long handled one behind you or try a handheld, stoop and scoop. :yes:

Carol K said:
lol, well it depends... on whether you'll be hunting mostly dry sand or water. Whether you want to drag a long handled one behind you or try a handheld, stoop and scoop. :yes:

Well, at least we are getting all of this out in one thread. I am a pretty beefy guy, so carrying (swinging) weight is not an issue for me. I would venture to guess I would be working the wet areas more than dry (possibly in the water as well). Long handles are not an issue either.

Thanks,
Bigfeet

Back
Top Bottom