Last Hunt of 2017

Larbo

I finished my last hunt of 2017 and found gold and some silver. I tried a new beach and like most of them around here it was full of iron and pieces of aluminum. I still found an 18K gold ring that weighs about 6 grams, 4 silver rings and ¥5,423 in crusty clad.

The gold ring showed up as 65 on the AT Pro which is the same as a ¥500 coin which I expected it to be so I was surprised. I'm never expecting a signal to be gold but I always hope it is. I think that is the highest number a gold ring has shown. They are usually in the high 40's to low 50's but most of the gold rings I have found here tend to be small and around 3-5 grams.

I also found a silver piece of an earring or something with a pink stone. It is marked 925 and 0052 in 2 places. I'm not sure what the 0052 refers to.

It has been a good year. I found a lot of gold and silver rings, old coins and relics and about ¥123,000 in clad. I'm planning to do my first hunt of 2018 as a night hunt during low tide. I hope it's a good hunt too.

Last edited:
Awesome finds Larbo, you've done very well this year! That's a crazy amount of clad!!

Thanks. You can find a lot of clad on some of the beaches here. In a 8-10 hour hunt I have found anything from ¥3,000 up over ¥19,000. I love finding the ¥500 coins but the ¥100 add up fast too.

:dingding:Nice going on the gold and the rings! I wish our coin values were greater so that clad hunts would be more lucrative.

:dingding:Nice going on the gold and the rings! I wish our coin values were greater so that clad hunts would be more lucrative.

Also, almost nobody is detecting here so you have years of clad built up. Most of what I found this time is probably from at least a year or more ago.

Also, almost nobody is detecting here so you have years of clad built up. Most of what I found this time is probably from at least a year or more ago.

Larbo, great post as usual. Love to read your reports from Japan.

Question regarding your quote above : I'm sure your main objective is jewelry (of course), and not modern clad coins. But have you ever gotten into stretches of beach, where .... as you say ... no one's harvesting the clad . Like by a snack stand or whatever, where nuisance clad is prolific. But since Japan has 500 yen coins .... : Have you ever thought about getting a good full-range TID machine screen (tones, graphs, etc...) and isolating the TID signature of a 500 yen . Then just simply dig *only* those ?

I realize you'd miss gold rings if you did this. But ... just for kicks and giggles, at a place where coins are prolific, why wouldn't this be a good tactic ? Because that's got the equivalent buying power of USA $5, right ? So it would be like going out and picking up $5 bills all over the place.

I air tested all the current Japanese clad coins a few years ago. And the 500 yen has a distinct location on the graph. That you could tell it apart from the other denomination coins. In the same way our pennies, dimes, nickels, quarters have distinct TID's. Not sure how good your TID is on your Garrett, but I'm thinking of a machine like an old XLT, or Eagle, or the modern Explorers, etc... Machines known for their TID ability.

The reason I muse this, is here in the USA, I've been at places where the clad is so prolific (yet no old coins, and no jewelry). And for kicks and giggles , on a few occasions, just dug quarters only (our highest denomination coin). And when doing so, on a few occasions, had no trouble getting 100 quarters in a hunt.

Obviously this is a waste of time here in the USA. Because that only amounts to $25.00. Less than minimum wage for the time spent. But in Japan, 100 of your highest denomination coins would be $500. Hmmmm :?:

The reason I muse this, is here in the USA, I've been at places where the clad is so prolific (yet no old coins, and no jewelry). And for kicks and giggles , on a few occasions, just dug quarters only (our highest denomination coin). And when doing so, on a few occasions, had no trouble getting 100 quarters in a hunt.

Obviously this is a waste of time here in the USA. Because that only amounts to $25.00. Less than minimum wage for the time spent. But in Japan, 100 of your highest denomination coins would be $500. Hmmmm :?:

There isn't enough ¥500 coins to make it worth looking for them exclusively. I found 4 on this hunt and 25 ¥100 coins. The most I ever found in one day is 13 and over a hundred ¥100. People are usually carrying no more than 1 or 2 ¥500 so they aren't that common to find. I can't make myself skip targets that may be good and you would probably just end the day with less finds anyway.

The AT Pro identifies ¥500 coins at 65 except for some old ones and ¥100 at 51 but it isn't always accurate at beaches because of mineralization and iron so you can't identify most targets unless you start digging them.

If you come here and try it let me know how it goes.

thanx for the input Larbo !

No problem Tom. Let me know if you do come here and maybe we can go detecting together. There is a lot of stuff to find here including new and old stuff. I didn't start detecting to find clad but there is enough in some areas to make it fun because you can actually make money from it. The best thing about the beaches is the lack of ¥1 and ¥5 coins. I found 3 ¥1 and no ¥5 in 8 hours. ¥100 are most common at beaches and ¥10 at parks. ¥500 are just a too small of percentage to concentrate solely on though. You could probably do it if you wanted to though.

Back
Top Bottom