Excal Blue Threshold

Strollmasta

Just curious as to what others blue excals sound like in pp mode. My threshold is rather wavy and erratic. I can still make out dips in tone, and changes where a target is, but everyone says the blues are really stable, and mine aint so stable. Now in discriminate mode, its crazy stable. I wish it was as stable in PP as it is in disc.
Any conversation about it would be great.
Thanks!

Check two things

#1 if your running a coil cover, make sure you clean under it after every hunt, this can make it unstable , #2 most likely a bad coil, meaning usually were the hard wire enter's the coil, could have a short, since the wire & coil are all one part, the entire coil needs to be replaced, note that if Minelab repairs it, its about 350.00 and a month turn around time, also note , you will get it back with a slim line coil ( excal 2) back, when the coil goes bad, the machine will run unstable, happy hunting , Earl

#1 if your running a coil cover, make sure you clean under it after every hunt, this can make it unstable , #2 most likely a bad coil, meaning usually were the hard wire enter's the coil, could have a short, since the wire & coil are all one part, the entire coil needs to be replaced, note that if Minelab repairs it, its about 350.00 and a month turn around time, also note , you will get it back with a slim line coil ( excal 2) back, when the coil goes bad, the machine will run unstable, happy hunting , Earl

Thanks Earl, i'm not running it with a coil cover, and its a new NEL attack coil so I don't think anything is screwy with the coil. It was running this way when I had the 8" coil on it too. It was an excal 2 8".

well

Other things , the board, knob pods, or just the fact of the nel coil not being a BBS, you might have to turn down the sensitivity, also check to see if your seals have a,slight leak, check with OBN, dont think he does excal mods anymore , but he can give you a great opinion on what he thinks is wrong, he hangs on the water beach forum between 9- 11 pm happy hunting , Earl

They can be a little erratic. I don't think any detector remains absolutely stable. Especially in the salt water environment. I had two blue Excals and three Excal II's. Never thought there was much of a difference in performance. The best coil I have ever used is the stock 10" tornado coil. You put a bigger coil on a detector you are going to receive more outside interference. From EMI to mineral noise. A bigger coil doesn't raise the bar on just good things.

They can be a little erratic. I don't think any detector remains absolutely stable. Especially in the salt water environment. I had two blue Excals and three Excal II's. Never thought there was much of a difference in performance. The best coil I have ever used is the stock 10" tornado coil. You put a bigger coil on a detector you are going to receive more outside interference. From EMI to mineral noise. A bigger coil doesn't raise the bar on just good things.

Thanks for the info Goodmore. The larger coil thing makes sense. Just seems while watching youtube vids of people running similar set ups the threshold is a lot more stable than mine is. :(

Back
Top Bottom