Just bought a house near the beach on Oak Island NC...

rob260

...got a Sand Shark coming in the mail. Anyone here familiar with the beaches there?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I am...I built a house there the 1st part of 2015..I'll be down there for the fourth,,and then I've got to pull my camper off the island because the campground has been sold ...:(...where is the house you bought, I heard the one I built just sold..

I live 45 mins north in wilmington nc. The sand shark will work great just be prepared to dig...our beaches are very trashy, especially after storms. Every day this week I couldn't walk more than a few steps without a target and ended up hunting in disc mode all week due to it.

Hawgdog, I'm right next to the campers... my lot used to be campground too, on Dolphin drive. I probably saw you if you were there last weekend, we had a U-haul full of furniture. We'll be there over the 4th of July week and in spite of my wife's scoffing I hope to get in some early morning detecting while she sleeps in. Bet she'll change her tune once I start bringing in buckets of gold doubloons!

Adambomb I expect I will be digging up a lot of trash, but guess it will be good practice as I learn to use this thing. I built a Heathkit detector back in the 70's, but I imaine they have gotten a lot better in the last 40 years!

Hawgdog, I'm right next to the campers... my lot used to be campground too, on Dolphin drive. I probably saw you if you were there last weekend, we had a U-haul full of furniture. We'll be there over the 4th of July week and in spite of my wife's scoffing I hope to get in some early morning detecting while she sleeps in. Bet she'll change her tune once I start bringing in buckets of gold doubloons!

I haven't been back down there since December. Been busy working. . Can you see the campground that's left from your house ? I'm trying to get down there on Thursday or Friday of next week. .hopefully. I'm going to be busy while I'm there, but I might be able to sneak out and hunt with ya. I've got my boat down there that I need to get out and fish some before I'm run off the island . I'm not sure if that's dolphin Dr in front of my area or not...anyway, ,I'll pm ya when I'm going to be down there and try and get together long enough to at least introduce myself anyway. . Maybe if we team up on your wife she'll feel sorry for ya and let you come out and play, ,,lol

Oh yeah, the campground is directly behind my house, on Pelican drive. I was told all the campers would be gone soon, as the lots have been sold. You can see campers on my lot in Google Earth, but no sign of the campground now.

Ok..we'll be neighbors for about a week now .:lol: If you walk down the road to the pier at the channel back there , I'll be the 2nd camper back from the pier , if they didn't put one in the 1st spot . Mine is the tan and white one with the McKee craft boat next to it . Yeah, we've been pushed out for the big money. :lol: But I'll pm ya , don't clean everything off the beach,, leave me a few pull tabs at least...look forward to meeting ya..take care

Ok, we walked out on that pier last weekend, so we must have gone right your place. I don't expect I'll get all the doubloons, what with being a beginner and all, so I suppose there will still be something for you to pick up. All the times I've been down to the beach the surf has been pretty strong, so I guess I'll start my learnin' above the water line.

Well I'm pretty much a beginner also..I've been collecting detectors for a a few years but just haven't had a lot of time to get out and learn how to use them that well, but I'll get out there and try when I get the chance. So I feel as those I'm a newbie also.. hope to meet you soon..if you get out detecting any...the west end of the beach is fairly new sand..was dredged up last year. ..so your older finds may be on beach in front of your house back towards the pier . Good luck.

Adambomb I expect I will be digging up a lot of trash, but guess it will be good practice as I learn to use this thing. I built a Heathkit detector back in the 70's, but I imaine they have gotten a lot better in the last 40 years!

If you find the beach is too trashy, head into the water. Your PI will shine there. Even on the trashiest beach days the finds in the water are few but usually all good.

If your yard used to be part of a campground, there could be some old silver there too... Welcome to the world of Metal Detecting.

This is true . I talked to a family member of the property, and it goes back to at least the 60s . And I'm sure there will be no shortage of pull tabs .

...got a Sand Shark coming in the mail. Anyone here familiar with the beaches there?

Small world! My Dad lives in Calabash and does property management for vacation rentals on Oak Island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too true, ChrisMD, I suspect I'm going to find out this weekend just how many vacation renters there are!

Welcome from Kansas. Good Luck and Happy Hunting. Cant wait to see pictures of your finds.

Back
Top Bottom