• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Merry Christmas from 1923

Wright1965

Had a few hours to kill yesterday so decided to go MDing. Didn't have long so I went out to the woods across the road from my house where an old house use to be. Wasn't finding much at all, seems like they used there whole yard as trash burn pile lol. Any ways while digging what I thought was a good hit turned into two old bottles. First one was a Coca Cola bottle and on the bottle it says Dec. 25 1923. Not a bad Christmas gift if ya ask me :lol:. The other one I have no idea what kind it is, maybe a whiskey bottle ? Both are in great shape. Oh and what I was thinking might be a good target turned out to be a big melted something:?:. Who knew my AT Pro could sniff out old battles:laughing: Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• cokeIMG_1150.jpg
    cokeIMG_1150.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 887
  • cokeIMG_1152.jpg
    cokeIMG_1152.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 858
  • cokeIMG_1153.jpg
    cokeIMG_1153.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 835
What you have there is known as the “Christmas Coke” value is about $20 to $35. It was patented on Dec. 25 1923. The bottle could be from 1924 to 1938. Great find, everyone that I have found is broke. Still looking for one that is intact. The other bottle is a common pocket whisky flask.

Merry Christmas!

Good advice from Mr. Mud.

What city is on the bottom?

To find the exact date of that bottle, look (on the bottom half of the bottle) where it narrows. There's a number, then a bottle mark and then a 2-digit number. That is the exact date.

The whiskey flask is common, but you know your into some age anyway.

GLASSHOPPER1955

What you have there is known as the “Christmas Coke” value is about $20 to $35. It was patented on Dec. 25 1923. The bottle could be from 1924 to 1938. Great find, everyone that I have found is broke. Still looking for one that is intact. The other bottle is a common pocket whisky flask.

Merry Christmas!

rare for a bottle

Its from the city I live in a small town in Alabama called Alexander city. The company was torn down in the early to mid 80s I think. Im trying to find out when it was built but it seems this town does not keep good records. I'll look at the bottle when I get home and see if I can find that date code and I'll post what it says.

Write1965, Keep digging that area. Hopefully you will find some more old bottles or even and old strait side coke? Post pics if you find anything else.

Yes it does have the city's name on the bottom. I did some research and someone seems to have found one that was dated 1915, maybe I'll get lucky and find one older then that and I'm still unsure when the coke company started here. Also the I'm only about a mile away from where the old Coke building was. There's a patch of woods about the size of a football field right behind the building.( I'm thinking of checking that area out in the morning when I get off work).

Ok I looked all around the bottle and found some numbers and letters at the base(very bottom of the bottle). Here is what it says 1H then the word ROOT and then 32. So 1932 would be the year ?

Nice coke bottle I have found hundreds of those but I think only some have the date like that. I sold off almost all of my bottles years ago.

Ok I looked all around the bottle and found some numbers and letters at the base(very bottom of the bottle). Here is what it says 1H then the word ROOT and then 32. So 1932 would be the year ?

Yes 1932. Nice! The early hobbleskirt Cokes were made by Root until Root was bought out by Owens-Illinois Glass Co. (also in 1932) so yours is one of the last Cokes made by Root.

Nice save , surprised it did not get broke
HH

These "hobbleskirt" Cokes are thick glass and are pretty robust. I find many and seldom are they broken unless someone deliberately tries to break them. I've found many even in woods that have been burned and, aside from being blackened, clean up nice after a nice acid bath.

Back
Top Bottom