I'm thinking my machine just hates nickels.

tinsmith

Elite Member
Hey all, I was just reading a post or two where you guy dig nickels. Buffs and modern. I've only dug a couple with the 705 even when I dig everything above ferrous in case of gold. No nicks!
Mostly use the 3 khz Digger coil.
I remember my first couple hunts I hit a solid teen number on my vid. Think it was 12. Solid though, and was a 1980's nickel. So I thought WOW, nicks are gonna be easy! Then never again. Id really like to dig a few buffs so I took a couple old date worn off buffs and air tested w the 705 n digger coil.
Man,,, that id went crazy!! Not just in the tab range but all over. Low, mid, high coin numbers and no numbers in favor. Just all over. I havn't tried the 5x10 gold coil 18.7 khz yet on these old buffs. I don't expect much difference when I do.
Anyone have "Nickel Knolege".
Tin

I had a 305 with the 18 concentric and it was a nickel magnet. Never tried the 5x10 but I am guessing you will have more stable results. Give it a quick air test, you might love it.

I find nickles with the Coinmaster GT which is an 8Khz machine and I would guess the frequency has nothing to do with it. Compared to to other denominations nickles are much more rare. Just dip your hand into your pocket and pull out all the change for a look.. Or the next time you pay for something and get change see how many nickles you get vrs pennies quarters and dimes. Nickles ring up low and so can be confused with tabs.. don't discriminate tabs and foil..

It's the frequency that's your problem. Nickels with the Digger coil take a lot of practice to hit with any regularity. With the 7.5kHz or 18.75kHz coils they are easy, but 3kHz doesn't garner a response that entices you to dig them.

It's the frequency that's your problem. Nickels with the Digger coil take a lot of practice to hit with any regularity. With the 7.5kHz or 18.75kHz coils they are easy, but 3kHz doesn't garner a response that entices you to dig them.
Thanks guys
I had a feeling it may be the 3khz. I've only used the 18.7 5x10 coil on a couple short hunts. My md is still in the closet and too many signals in my house to play with it. Waiting for a decent day to get out and play with the gold coil. Still haven't done that factory reset yet for the Vdi issue I had last time out.

Hey all, I was just reading a post or two where you guy dig nickels. Buffs and modern. I've only dug a couple with the 705 even when I dig everything above ferrous in case of gold. No nicks!
Mostly use the 3 khz Digger coil.
I remember my first couple hunts I hit a solid teen number on my vid. Think it was 12. Solid though, and was a 1980's nickel. So I thought WOW, nicks are gonna be easy! Then never again. Id really like to dig a few buffs so I took a couple old date worn off buffs and air tested w the 705 n digger coil.
Man,,, that id went crazy!! Not just in the tab range but all over. Low, mid, high coin numbers and no numbers in favor. Just all over. I havn't tried the 5x10 gold coil 18.7 khz yet on these old buffs. I don't expect much difference when I do.
Anyone have "Nickel Knolege".
Tin

Nickels are sorta hard. They fit right in with the dang pull tabs.

Nickels are sorta hard. They fit right in with the dang pull tabs.

Yeah, I'll spend maybe 20-30 minutes at best only once in awhile digging tab signals then right back to coins.
there was really something odd about the old buffs I checked. Vid ran from tab to coin numbers. Craziest dang reading I've ever seen. So actually, there, that's how I'll ID them! Come to think of it nothing else does that. .
Tin

Yeah, I'll spend maybe 20-30 minutes at best only once in awhile digging tab signals then right back to coins.
there was really something odd about the old buffs I checked. Vid ran from tab to coin numbers. Craziest dang reading I've ever seen. So actually, there, that's how I'll ID them! Come to think of it nothing else does that. .
Tin
You're catching on. I actually wrote about it on an Xterra specific forum at another site.
Try this.....pay attention to which direction you swing to get the high tone vs the direction you get the low tone. :D

Like Bart said they can be hard.

Like Longhair said, the higher freq.coils will do better on nickels.

The higher freq.will also help hitting the coins on edge.

Thanks guys, I'm going to go play with the nickel thing and finally going to switch coils for a while and learn the HF 5x10. I've hunted very little with the gold coil. Been addicted to the little 3 khz digger coil. I love those little mercs and the digger hits so hard on them you think its a 2" quarter! In fact it sniffs out all dimes. In hunted out parks n schools I've pulled at least 6 or 7 clad dimes in a couple hrs. I mean a site with no other hits but a few zincs, I'll dig dimes and the 705 Vid's them at number 38 , 40 always.
Right now the places I want to try are frozen solid.

Not many machines out there that are say dime killers and nickel killers. You have the advantage of changing coils, hence 2 detectors. The 3khz is better for dimes, 15-18khz better for nickels. Remember when you add depth the freq preference becomes even more evident when using your detector. Show me a gold killer and its probably a nickel killer. Machines like the White's XLT sorta split the difference with it freq. So it'll pick up both reasonably well. As far as parks go, more nickels left in them than any other coin IMO. Cheers

Not many machines out there that are say dime killers and nickel killers. You have the advantage of changing coils, hence 2 detectors. The 3khz is better for dimes, 15-18khz better for nickels. Remember when you add depth the freq preference becomes even more evident when using your detector. Show me a gold killer and its probably a nickel killer. Machines like the White's XLT sorta split the difference with it freq. So it'll pick up both reasonably well. As far as parks go, more nickels left in them than any other coin IMO. Cheers

Yeah, and actually I'm good with the fact my 3khz digger likes dimes over nickels. The 705 is my first mid range machine. I got it last April and probably don't have 100 hrs on it yet so I've stuck to the 3khz so far. I usually only hunt a couple hours and small areas at a time. Its great on paths and side lines. This yr I need to get out more and its time to learn the 5x10 18.7 khz for awhile.although I've said this before and always grab the digger.
Tin

If your not finding nickels with your 705 your not finding much gold. 12, 14, 16 is where a lot of gold rings hit and so do nickels. As it has been said before, nickels are usually discriminated out therefore should be plentiful even in older heavily hunted grounds. I've only had my 705 two years but I've enjoyed good success finding jewelry running a gold program in so called hunted out parks. Found a lot of nickels with this 705. Where there are nickels there's gold.

Back
Top Bottom