used DFX not working out

metalwrkr

OK, so I bought this used DFX. On the plus side I tried it on the beach where the sand was saturated and puddles of salt water were everywhere. Worked well. Quiet, stable and found dimes, pennys and a couple of nickels. I can see it is far superior to the AT PRO as a salt beach machine. But at the soccer fields and park I just can't get used to it! I run the PRO in zero mode and it's like driving a Ferrari: snappy, concise and unambiguous. Blazing recovery and great depth! The DFX in any of the factory programs is like driving an old Rambler station wagon with worn out shocks and slack steering. The target signals lag way behind the actual location and are long and drawn out. Solid signals are few and far between even in areas that I know are full of tab tops. I have tried some of the custom programs available on the web, not much better except for depth. The whole targeting language is somehow sloppy and slow feeling. I am very disappointed. I would not want to keep this machine even as a backup at this point. I know that a DD coil like the PRO has will give a more concise target response than the stock DFX concentric. Also a DD will be more adapted to our highly mineralized NW soil. The original plan was to get a small SEF or DD coil because I would have wanted to use the machine as a coin and jewelry and beach unit and as a backup. At this point I don't know if I want to gamble the money. I have only had the unit a week and a half but have used it quite a lot in that time. All I could think of while I was using it was "Why the hell am I not using my AT PRO right now"! Do any of you DFX users have any insight or suggestions as to what I do now??

My Beachhunter was just like that and supposedly they share the same core electronics. The response was super delayed and overall sloppy. It was bad enough that I sold it.

Sounds like you don't have any faith in the DFX and the At-Pro IS a great all around detector so rather than compare apples to oranges I would concentrate on learning the Pro and send the DFX to a new home. If every time you hunted with the DFX you were questioning using it then to me it's a lost cause. And I'm a DFX guy.

OK, so I bought this used DFX. On the plus side I tried it on the beach where the sand was saturated and puddles of salt water were everywhere. Worked well. Quiet, stable and found dimes, pennys and a couple of nickels. I can see it is far superior to the AT PRO as a salt beach machine. But at the soccer fields and park I just can't get used to it! I run the PRO in zero mode and it's like driving a Ferrari: snappy, concise and unambiguous. Blazing recovery and great depth! The DFX in any of the factory programs is like driving an old Rambler station wagon with worn out shocks and slack steering. The target signals lag way behind the actual location and are long and drawn out. Solid signals are few and far between even in areas that I know are full of tab tops. I have tried some of the custom programs available on the web, not much better except for depth. The whole targeting language is somehow sloppy and slow feeling. I am very disappointed. I would not want to keep this machine even as a backup at this point. I know that a DD coil like the PRO has will give a more concise target response than the stock DFX concentric. Also a DD will be more adapted to our highly mineralized NW soil. The original plan was to get a small SEF or DD coil because I would have wanted to use the machine as a coin and jewelry and beach unit and as a backup. At this point I don't know if I want to gamble the money. I have only had the unit a week and a half but have used it quite a lot in that time. All I could think of while I was using it was "Why the hell am I not using my AT PRO right now"! Do any of you DFX users have any insight or suggestions as to what I do now??

Could be something wrong? I know mines lightning fast. Second one I got I think who owned it before me left it out in the rain or something. Sent it to Whites and they had to replace damn near everything. Couldn't really tell you unless I was the one swinging it though. DFX takes time to learn. FWIW you can run beach mode inland too. I like the way it hits on quarters. My DFX paid for my Excal:D

I agree that there is a definite confidence issue here. The DFX is a great machine, very deep and accurate ID but it's not a simple machine to master. It takes time and patience to get it set up the way you like it. It is definitely not like the AT Pro but in my opinion will blow the Pro out of the water when in the hands of an experienced user. Not knocking the AT Pro at all but the DFX will ID better at depth and more progarmmable. Again, thats just my opinion and my experience using both machines. Give the DFX a chance and if you don't like it, I am sure you can get your money back. Different strokes for different folks.

I don't know if the DFX has the Recovery response setting, but on the V3i if I set the response to slow (50+) it does that lag thing, but if I turn it to a lower number it lowers that lag.

I have a hunch that the machine only appears to have a delay. If you try to swing it like the ATP it will miss a lot, and it would seem like the tone is delayed. Try just slowing down, and see if adjusting yourself doesn't find more and "fix" the delay.

njal, thanks for the link. I'm sure there is some good advice there! I will try some of the programs I saw there that have more aggressive filter, sweep, recovery etc.

Kscoyote, I know the ATPRO pretty well. Have found lots of relics, silver and done very well on gold items. I was hoping to add a beach capable machine that was also good for jewelry and coins to the stable.

Pescadore, I know the DFX has a great reputation, that's why I wanted one in addition to the PRO.

Crumble and longhair, I haven't given up yet, it may be I have yet to hit the right combination of response time and sweep speed et. to match my style of hunt. Or maybe CHANGE my style with this machine!

The machine is picture perfect to look at but maybe has some problems. If I can't get it to some level of reasonable performance I will have Whites look at it before I sell it.

It's always possible the machine is just way smarter than I am.

I highly suspect that our high mineral ground is messing with the concentric coil and some of the stock settings. I just wish I knew for sure before buying a new coil.............

I loved the 8"X6" SEF on my DFX and rarely took it off. I got great depth with it and the separation was great. I have never been a 950 coil fan but I used it when I had to. I really don't understand the delay thing except that it may be just that the Whites tones are so different from the AT Pro. I never experienced delay's with mine. If you have a DFX owner in your area that you could get to test yours out that may be wise. Whites customer service is tops in my book along with Garrett and they will take good care of you if your machine needs servicing.

If you are running good at the beach, you should be good on land. Is it possible the previous owner customized the presets and messed them up? They are resettable.
Take both machines out together. If you are missing signals then the machine has to get checked.If you are not missing anything, it's technique.
If you just prefer the AT, why switch? Loved my DFX but the weight was killing me after 3 hours.

A glimmer of hope!

Went out today with the "new to me" DFX. I tried one of the custom programs from the DFXonly site. Also I slowed down a bit. I stayed away from the trashiest areas and had a fairly successful two hours. Found a bunch of clad and a coveted Chucky Cheeze token. Also a small hand crafted ring of interesting design but not particularly valuable. The targeting language is still WAY STRANGE to me but I am getting more of a feel for it. I will wait a while before putting that add in Craigslist.............

Glad that it's working out better for you. The DFX is a great machine if you give it a chance. I was shopping for one when I ran into a deal on my 705 that was too good to be true, else that's one that I'd be swinging right now.

Kscoyote, I know the ATPRO pretty well. Have found lots of relics, silver and done very well on gold items. I was hoping to add a beach capable machine that was also good for jewelry and coins to the stable.

A friend sold me his DFX and bought an etrac when he said the DFX wasn't good on gold. I was frustrated when I first started with it. But stuck with it for 3 years now. If you know what it's telling you it sniffs out gold. I've hit gold with mine with the small shooter coil, all the way to the 15". On average it keeps up with my minelabs. But all the gold I find isn't digging to China. Me I never use the 950 coil. But gonna try to force myself to next year. But if any machine gets you frustrated it sometimes takes a little confidence away. I don't think my V3i likes the D2 coil :lol:

another ring

Took the DFX out again today to a local pounded park. I was in the stock coin and jewelry program with the icons on so I could get to know what VDI's went with what items. Got a signal and dug and it was a ring at 4 inches! Plated ,unfortunately, but still a ring. Interestingly, the icons were rock steady on first choice: a ring. Second choice: a tab top. My wife said the detector was telling me "It's a cheap ring Dude!" At least it gives some confidence that the machine is running OK!

Attachments

• IMG_0846 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0846 (800x600).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 542
My wife said the detector was telling me "It's a cheap ring Dude!"

Now that's some funny stuff right there:laughing: My excal sometimes sounds like its saying " I'm here". So far the I'm here was something that should have stayed there:lol:

Swung the DFX for a year and many hours, and decided it's a bells n whistles machine, much like my Etrac.

I just bought one myself. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I watched the video and boy oh boy the adjustments. I can and will learn them but I may have to push some other knowledge out of my head to make room for it.
Hope it gets better for ya, I`ll check back if I learn anything.

Sounds like your recovery speed is set too low. Set it up to about 25-30 for a nice sharp quick response. It took me awhile to get to know the DFX but now It's one of the best detectors I've ever owned. For park hunting and coin shooting, I won't use anything else. The signagraph is one of the most useful tools ever produced for a metal detector. Trust it and learn what it is telling you. I am still a newbie to the DFX and don't hesitate to ask for programs and info. It's a great detector.

I ran the DFX for a couple years and still never learned all one needs to know about the machine. The one thing about it I did learn was that beyond six inches in depth its target ID was just not reliable compared to other machines I've run.

Back
Top Bottom