Using Compadre in trashy areas

tonyva123

Elite Member
I was wondering what setting you use in a trashy area? I was in an area the other day that had a lot of trash and I ended up turning the setting way up to detect coins only because it was going off so much. So is there any way else to use it so I don't miss out on jewelry and other items? There was no way I could dig all the signals the foil, pull tabs, etc. was giving off. Thanks.

I was wondering what setting you use in a trashy area? I was in an area the other day that had a lot of trash and I ended up turning the setting way up to detect coins only because it was going off so much. So is there any way else to use it so I don't miss out on jewelry and other items? There was no way I could dig all the signals the foil, pull tabs, etc. was giving off. Thanks.

Not a whole lot you can do in a bunch of trash, but try this.
If you get a loud signal and you lift your coil high and it is still loud and solid...probably a can or something else very big.
Pass it by.

If you get beeps over a large area, larger than a coin size signal, also junk like maybe long piece of wire.

Sometimes you can do the Tesoro shake over trash and it will break up.
Just whip your coil over it fast and see if it stays solid.
If you do this from two different angles and it breaks up over one, probably junk.

Listen to the tones very closely.
As you get more experience you might notice that good targets will usually have a sharp end to the tone.
Trash might have a more rounded end.

Throw some coins and trash on the ground and keep scanning these till you can tell the difference.
There is a difference, most times, but you have to put in the hours to gain the ability to hear them.

Stake out an area and clean it out...say 5'x5'.
Not only will this enable you to go over it again and maybe find some better and deeper but masked targets, one of those trashy signals might be a good one.

Lastly, sometimes, you just have to do a lot of digging at certain sites.
It's good exercise, and you never know, you just might be surprised.

Digger...Dude...Stop.You already made me buy an F2,now with your wealth of knowledge on Tesoro's, your going to make me go out and look for a Compadre !!!:laughing:.. Seriously,you certainly know your stuff ! Keep up the great work with us "Noobs" :grin:

He already convinced me and I got one. Good luck if you keep reading his posts. He should be on Tesoro's payroll.:laughing:

Dave

Another forum member was selling a used Compadre, and I was so close to taking it off his hands. I opted for a Garrett PP instead. I should have sealed the deal. But then...I would now have three units...Ok, I think I have an addiction here LOL!:laughing:

Another forum member was selling a used Compadre, and I was so close to taking it off his hands. I opted for a Garrett PP instead. I should have sealed the deal. But then...I would now have three units...Ok, I think I have an addiction here LOL!:laughing:

Thanks all...I mean it!
Just trying to pass on any little knowledge I have to make things a little easier and more fun for everyone.

I must have missed the fine print where it said there is a limit on the amount of tools you can use.
Right now, I am working on trying to get an old TR Compass machine made in the 70's from an older member of my Md club.
It has no discrimination, but it is 100 KhZ , (that's a gold finder for sure!), and supposedly works fantastic in iron infested areas since it will null out over iron but if there is a high conductive target underneath even a lot of iron, it will still signal nice and loud.

Then of course, to keep the boredom away, it is getting time to get something high end to try to master like maybe a V3i or F75.
One of those ought to keep me busy for awhile...and I am still learning new things about all my detectors on just about every hunt.

I still use all my detectors just about equally, depending on the type of site I hunt.
They all have given me great love and great finds, and I wouldn't want even one of them to get the tiniest bit jealous.

My current "crew"...

Attachments

• crew.jpg
    crew.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 279
I so glad digger responded to my question! He is the reason I got my Compadre. I will continue to read his posts over and over because I learn something else everytime.

Not a whole lot you can do in a bunch of trash, but try this.
If you get a loud signal and you lift your coil high and it is still loud and solid...probably a can or something else very big.
Pass it by.

If you get beeps over a large area, larger than a coin size signal, also junk like maybe long piece of wire.

Sometimes you can do the Tesoro shake over trash and it will break up.
Just whip your coil over it fast and see if it stays solid.
If you do this from two different angles and it breaks up over one, probably junk.

Listen to the tones very closely.
As you get more experience you might notice that good targets will usually have a sharp end to the tone.
Trash might have a more rounded end.

Throw some coins and trash on the ground and keep scanning these till you can tell the difference.
There is a difference, most times, but you have to put in the hours to hear them.

Stake out an area and clean it out...say 5'x5'.
Not only will this enable you to go over it again and maybe find some better and deeper but masked targets, but one of those trashy signals might be a good one.

Lastly, sometimes, you just have to do a lot of digging at certain sites.
It's good exercise, and you never know, you just might be surprised.

GOOD Compadre tips !!

Back
Top Bottom