Some old Bottles, any idea how old?

TrashTracker

Found these in or around an undisclosed location.

any clue on how old?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I can get more pics if needed, I know it's kind of dark. I will probably photograph them with my slr tomorrow.

Looks like

Looks like early 20's -30's. due to the tops and colors. They are nice. The 1st pic may have a patent date on the bottom . I have one that is similiar and it has a patent of 1909.

I just looked at the chief bottle again. It says property of coca-cola but I can not find a date.

some of the acl big chief coke bottles go for big bucks...the "deco" style kind sell between 5-25 depending on the city it's from.

if you look on the bottom of newer sodas and see something like : 24 'circle with an I or diamond with an I' then another number like 47,49 etc..that means it was made at plant 24, 1947 by Owens Illinois....(the "24" isn't always a plant number though)...

if it says "duraglas" in cursive, that was made by Owens/Illinois also. It was a new process for making bottles.

bottles look 40's ish...

the green ribbed one could be from back then or 5years ago... screw top, no blob, generic green ribbed bottle with a slug or fake slug on the bottom.. looks like a repro/copy of a gin/bitters bottle.

what's the first deco one you have with the star on it? what do the words say?

the top one says Nu Icu

the coke bottle says moultrie on the bottom than marked.

ca.

That irregular, off center, circular ring on the bottom of the green one means it was made after the advent of the Owens Automatic Bottle Making Machine, after 1920 or so. It's from where the machine sheared the glass glob off before it went into the mold. Another thing to look for is the absence of bubbles in the glass. The machine drew the molten glass from the bottom of the vat. Hand blown bottles, (whether in a mold or not) were usually made from glass drawn from the top surface of the vat, which is bubbly, and some bubbles made it into the finished bottles.
Another tip is the seam which runs up the side of molded bottles. The higher the seam, the newer the bottle.

Sad because most of the bottles in this location are broken. out of 50 or so half buried these were the only ones I found fully in tact. They sure do look cool sitting on my shelf. I want to collect more!

If you're finding bottles on the top (or shallow) there's normally older stuff below...

the Nu Icu is a nice deco style bottle. Worth .99-5bucks...

The Coke could be worth quite a few dollars. Small towns or towns where the Coke plant is defunct bring nice money. 20-50 bucks once cleaned and in good condition.

Back
Top Bottom