which larger coil for AT pro should i get?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I am hunting with permission on a 300 acre farm that about 60% of the now wooded areas were plowed terraced fields in the 1930's. So far I have found a harmonica reed, mid 1800 copper spoon, lots of square nails.
There were several old homes one dating back to mid 1800's and multiple out buildings. So I feel that there is likely to be more relics to be found. Now the old fields are grown up with trees but not too close most about 6-10 feet distance between them. These areas have not been detected.

I am currently using the AT pro stock coil. The soil is sandy dirt.
I feel that I am missing deeper targets using the AT Pro stock coil.

Looking at the NEL Storm 13x14" Search Coil to get me some more depth.

any comments on this choice?

Get the THUNDER.....Ive had great luck with it. Its lighter and is an improvement over the Storm....IMO....HH! Perfect for farm fields....I call it the Copper Killer!!

PS - and run the AT wide open when ground conditions permit...

Listen to MMNY, he has great results! Also check previous posts for Mudpuppy's maiden voyage with the Thunder on the ATPro. He paid that rascal off on the 1st hunt!

I had a at pro and went thru the nel coils .. I bought the tornado, and attack coils and swung them for awhile and found stuff with them but they were heavy.. If I had to do that part of my detecting career again I would not have sunk all that money into the coils and AT PRO I would have simply just upgraded my detector and that's what I wound up doing anyway. I now have a detector that's deeper than the at pro and seperates 10x better in iron than the pro. BTW its deeper with a 9 inch coil than the pro is with a 15 inch attack coil. I was under the impression bigger was better and I don't believe that anymore , you give up separation with a big coil and in the relic game that s 99% of the battle! The hoover boys sold me on those nel coils back then.... I know that's not what you asked but at least think about it BEFORE sinking more money into the pro.. Some of the garrettt guys will come come along and tell you how I'm wrong and such, just remember I used to be a garrett guy myself....

I had a at pro and went thru the nel coils .. I bought the tornado, and attack coils and swung them for awhile and found stuff with them but they were heavy.. If I had to do that part of my detecting career again I would not have sunk all that money into the coils and AT PRO I would have simply just upgraded my detector and that's what I wound up doing anyway. I now have a detector that's deeper than the at pro and seperates 10x better in iron than the pro. BTW its deeper with a 9 inch coil than the pro is with a 15 inch attack coil. I was under the impression bigger was better and I don't believe that anymore , you give up separation with a big coil and in the relic game that s 99% of the battle! The hoover boys sold me on those nel coils back then.... I know that's not what you asked but at least think about it BEFORE sinking more money into the pro.. Some of the garrettt guys will come come along and tell you how I'm wrong and such, just remember I used to be a garrett guy myself....
What are you using you have my attention I’m ready for an upgrade

I am hunting with permission on a 300 acre farm that about 60% of the now wooded areas were plowed terraced fields in the 1930's. So far I have found a harmonica reed, mid 1800 copper spoon, lots of square nails.
There were several old homes one dating back to mid 1800's and multiple out buildings. So I feel that there is likely to be more relics to be found. Now the old fields are grown up with trees but not too close most about 6-10 feet distance between them. These areas have not been detected.

Sounds like a job for 2 ;):laughing:

Sounds like a job for 2 ;):laughing:

:laughing: or 3??? :lol: I would go with the thunder, I've never used one, but from the results I've seen here, it seems like a great all around coil...if your looking at upgrading, and want to stick with Garrett, you might want to try the max ... From what im reading its one of the deepest machines in the game now :grin: I'm pretty sure the thunder coil will fit on it too. Keep us posted!

Based on other research of forums and youtube videos I went with the Nel Thunder. It seems to solve the weight problem and a pretty decent coil for covering larger areas. I did read the comments about just moving up from the AT Pro to another brand/model. Just don't have $1000 in my MD budget. So the Nel Thunder for the AT Pro is sitting in a box here and just waiting for the ground to thaw. Yes, the ground did freeze here in Atlanta for past two weeks. The big artic chill made its way to Atlanta.

Ordered on Thursday from Kellyco (Stevie Ray was my very informed and nice sales person) and received it the very next Sat in good condition and it was the correct Thunder coil for the AT Pro. have to be careful that you get the right coil for your exact model detector. Also you must follow their reset and ground balance procedure which is rather specific to the coil.

My best friend swings an AT Pro and bought a Thunder. He and another guy we detect with both love them.

He now uses it as his stock coil and only takes it off for a sniper coil in trash.

Back
Top Bottom