Need help on which detector & why???

Astronut

I was looking at two different Whites units and before I could find the person when I was able to they were both gone.
Now I am looking at getting either a Fisher F75 or a Garrett AT PRO detectors. I need all the feedback on these two I can get. What are the pros & cons of each unit. I will be doing almost all coin & jewelry some prospecting but not much of that. I will be mostly parks, schools, lakes, forest, streams when dry some old home sites. Appreciate all the input on these detectors. All help appreciated thanks

Bill

If you are gonna go near and into water a lot no question a waterproof unit would be the smarter choice...one mistake and a non waterproof detector will turn into a very expensive door stop with no warranty real quick.

I have hunted with many that use an AT Pro and they find tons of stuff.
The F75 is probably a bit deeper but the Pro is no slouch.
I prefer the Fishers, the language just speaks to me and I never liked to listen to the sounds that came out of any Garrett products but that is just a personal quirk, if I ever get into a lot of water hunting and got a good deal on a Pro I am sure I would learn to deal with it.

Way more features on an F75 if you are into that, there were a few more added to the new Max units because fans asked for them.
The new F75+ coming out has all the whistles and bells in a flagship unit that not long ago sold for double the price so one of the better deals out there right now, depending on the difficulty of your soil those extra features might make a difference.
I hunted in great soil out west where everything worked well and got deep, now I hunt in the SE in much more difficult soil where depth is limited for everyone but I found using an F70/Patriot unit has the power and enough extra features to get deeper than I ever could before, deeper than a few others I have hunted with and can combat this bad dirt pretty well.
The F75 has even more features, can't say for sure if any could help me even more but the more features you have the more you can utilize if needed.

You have fans of both brands out there, some use both like Mudpuppy, others use one or the other and are loyal.
Many have used one or the other or both and didn't like either so they moved into other brands.
This is common, every person is different so asking this question is like asking which car, Ford or Chevy...the opinions differ so wildly you will never get an exact correct answer.
All of it depends on your dirt, your site conditions and you...what you like to listen to and the exact language you would prefer learning.

Picking your first is always this way and it seems to me this is what you are trying to do, you don't have enough experience to know what you actually need in the way of features that might matter or what kind of hunter you are, if you ever move on to a second it is usually much easier.
Good luck with your choice, they all find metal so no matter what you end up with learn it well and you will be successful.

..What rig you running now? You've been here since 2015 so I'm sure you have read plenty of posts on both rigs. You can examine and target the other hunters to ascertain which machine would be optimal in your AO and for you....Both have their strengths and weaknesses...

If I was in your shoes, starting all over in this Sport, wanting to really maximize my yearly ROI and be prepared for pretty much all various locations, conditions, situations.....If I had to buy one or the other or Both rigs today? ......I'd get both the (F70) Patriot as well as an AtPro with no hesitation!...

Why? Both of these platforms throw off a tremendous amount of money if used in the right situation..You didnt mention focusing exclusively for hunting old deep silver, and you didnt say anything about hunting salt water gold, so yeah, two really great in field performing machines with undeniable and proven Field Trial pedigrees!!...

Its like having a Jack Russel Terrier and a Black Lab sort of...Ones fast and light, easy to carry in field, goes forever on a handful of kibble and a pat on the head...a bit yippy, but in the right hands controllable...the other one is a big dopey dummy that dont have enough sense to come in out of the rain, will eat up anything, and can swim...They are the perfect team really, for a person equally inclined, both can knock down big game, or catch all the mice you want to eat....Who can ask for more than that for general roustabouting on this inhospitable Planet?? ...Time and Gold wait for Nobody!..:laughing:.

I guess if I was pushed hard to 'put one down'...Like moving into some sort of Old folks retirement Community place where a fellow could only have one dog?...I'd have to keep the Jack Russel...Pound for pound, that little guy is cute as hell and steady slings off money!...He dont eat a whole lot and consequently makes less of a mess too...

Get them both! Take them afield, see which one you like the best, and sell the other!...If you dont like either, get yourself a Minelab and dink around in your backyard for hotwheel cars, buttons and relics!! Expensive, Annoyingly slow, but as Cute as a button and the Chicks dig them!...Wheezing and waddling along like a little philharmonic beanie baby steam engine! Hey, even Shitzus need some loving!.:laughing:

Last edited:
I agree with mostly everything digger27 said. Now saying that, I've used most every Fisher/teknetics detector they sell and all of the f75 versions..I do like the Fisher f75 very much but I like my Garrett ATMax better.. the max is waterproof, deeper, better in nail infested sites and very very strong on small gold... The f75 is no slouch, but it suffers from poor resale value, can't get it wet and the all metal mode is not as deep as it used to be where as the max has a better sounding all metal mode and is the deepest all metal mode I've ever used.. and I've used many. I've never dug coins so deep on a regular basis as I do now.. yes I've dug them, we all have gotten lucky and hit that deeeeeep coin just right.. but I do that alot now, not once a month or 3-4 times a year, but almost every time out.. these days alot of machines are great it all boils down to what you enjoy using and you connecting with your detector..

I agree with mostly everything digger27 said. Now saying that, I've used most every Fisher/teknetics detector they sell and all of the f75 versions..I do like the Fisher f75 very much but I like my Garrett ATMax better.. the max is waterproof, deeper, better in nail infested sites and very very strong on small gold... The f75 is no slouch, but it suffers from poor resale value, can't get it wet and the all metal mode is not as deep as it used to be where as the max has a better sounding all metal mode and is the deepest all metal mode I've ever used.. and I've used many. I've never dug coins so deep on a regular basis as I do now.. yes I've dug them, we all have gotten lucky and hit that deeeeeep coin just right.. but I do that alot now, not once a month or 3-4 times a year, but almost every time out.. these days alot of machines are great it all boils down to what you enjoy using and you connecting with your detector..

Hey! Dont confuse this poor guy! He's asking about Dachshunds and you are pitching him a Newfie!

I did have an older Whites XLT detector but did not like it and sold it. I do mostly coin & jewelry detecting and some prospecting but not much. I live in northern California in the Sierra Nevada foothills. I do like mostly schools, parks, lakes, dry streams, forests, picnic grounds and camp grounds about every where I can get in safely. I thought about the Fisher F75+ but several dealers I talked to say Fisher has not given them a release date yet and they think they are having problems with them that's why they have not been released yet who knows?. I guess I will wait till its released and see how they work out before I make a decision on what to get. The reason I looked at Garrett was the water proof part if I should get into that situation hard to say.
I also looked at Minelab Z-terra 705 up in the air on that one.
I appreciate all the feedback gentlemen it all adds up. Thanks again Bill

Back
Top Bottom