Beautiful day for hunting with the Big T!

IDXMonster

Elite Member
It was SO nice out today it should’ve been a crime,southern WI has been holding off the winter nicely! I met up with Craig(Big Treble) and we hunted a small city park,a mid sized city park and an old fairgrounds. We dug coins till our fingers were ready to fall off!
The first park was am EMI disaster from hell so that didn’t last long. The second park produced the 1907s Barber Dime and a buttload of deep-ish modern coins.
Our last stop...the fairground. This dates back to 1875 so we were hoping. After hunting an hour and a half with nothing much to show,I decided to venture onto the infield of the old racetrack. Along one edge is where I started to find stuff,and it wasn’t all that deep! A 3-4” Rosie,a 6” 1903 plain Barber Dime and a 7-8” 1951 GW were the keepers before the sun signaled the end of our hunting.
I have to believe that we have a helluva chance again there. Between the clad and garbage it’s a challenge,but the CTX did it one more time,and with the stock coil.
These bring the total for 2017 to 127 and counting...there are a couple guys I’d like to catch,but getting together with like minded hunters is what it’s all about. If I can HELP at all or LEARN anything....that’s where it’s at. Spending the day outside in this glorious weather was really what I needed!:grin:

Attachments

• 85E66D20-9BD3-4DAC-80A6-BB19777EF50D.jpg
    85E66D20-9BD3-4DAC-80A6-BB19777EF50D.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 173
Looks like a great hunt, congrats. I think winter will be hitting you soon.

Nice shiny silver. Good play-by-play. Good pix. Ya can't argue with success ;)

Damn fine day ! Nice saves on the silver. I would love to find and old park to hunt but everything around here seems to be redeveloped. Hopefully the weather will hold a while longer. Good luck Mark.

Had a blast, we hunted hard really from 8:00 AM until 4PM in the afternoon, a little transit time.

I'd post my success, but hate to waste the digital space, on just about $5 in clad a sweet 2 tone f150 matchbox and a 50K gold bracelett filled with royal diamonds and sapphires i guestimate is worth 3-4 million dollars, i think stolen from King Goreges II wife dropped by the Vikings when they were attacked by the Knights templar in SW WI......well it's either that or carnival junk.....ill let you know after I clean the rust off the gold. :lol:

Someone else had started a thread about where to find silver, I couldn't state the obvious secret in 2 parts, but alas the secret is out, so here it is;

1) find Big Treble
2) go the other way.

Someone else had started a thread about where to find silver, I couldn't state the obvious secret in 2 parts, but alas the secret is out, so here it is;

1) find Big Treble
2) go the other way.
:laughing: your a good sport BT! :cool:
Great hunt there IDX, a nice late season haul!

Great hunt Kev ! And congrats on the massive yard silver count .
Say hi to Big T rubble for me .
Keep scrounging .
,Dew

Had a blast, we hunted hard really from 8:00 AM until 4PM in the afternoon, a little transit time.

I'd post my success, but hate to waste the digital space, on just about $5 in clad a sweet 2 tone f150 matchbox and a 50K gold bracelett filled with royal diamonds and sapphires i guestimate is worth 3-4 million dollars, i think stolen from King Goreges II wife dropped by the Vikings when they were attacked by the Knights templar in SW WI......well it's either that or carnival junk.....ill let you know after I clean the rust off the gold. :lol:

1) find Big Treble
2) go the other way.

The first three words of your post are what make you a “true hunter” Craig...”Had a blast”. As long as that is the case,it doesn’t matter,the finds WILL come. They’re not gonna hide forever!
In my first 4 years I found 22 silver coins,hunting what seemed like round the clock. It sure doesn’t sound like much comparatively, and it wasn’t. For me it didn’t matter either,and still doesn’t. What matters is...I have a blast.:grin:
Since my schedule was clear today,I went back. It was a slow start again but it picked up nicely. That place is going to turn out to hold some stuff...

Attachments

• 2E299A95-EF8B-44B9-8EA2-4B24F3BB9679.jpg
    2E299A95-EF8B-44B9-8EA2-4B24F3BB9679.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 75
The foreign coin is a Canadian 1929 Dime..I now have 2 of them. The other one I found in Platteville on a different hunt than when we went....

Hey,thanks a lot everyone,I appreciate the acknowledgements! I know there are places where you can hunt year round but here in Wisconsin we really dread the onset of winter. It’s not so much the snow,even though that sucks equally as much,but the cold will lock us right out of the game. No hole,no coin!:(
The guys and gals who are in my position regarding frozen ground are all scrambling for that last minute find,because 4-5 months is a long time to not detect! I can’t complain if it was over tomorrow,it’s been a great season for me and so many others. Keep up the hunting and posting,we northerners need entertainment over the winter!:grin:

Hey,thanks a lot everyone,I appreciate the acknowledgements! I know there are places where you can hunt year round but here in Wisconsin we really dread the onset of winter. It’s not so much the snow,even though that sucks equally as much,but the cold will lock us right out of the game. No hole,no coin!:(
The guys and gals who are in my position regarding frozen ground are all scrambling for that last minute find,because 4-5 months is a long time to not detect! I can’t complain if it was over tomorrow,it’s been a great season for me and so many others. Keep up the hunting and posting,we northerners need entertainment over the winter!:grin:
I hear ya there! Looks like one more day here, before the icy grip takes hold. Glad to hear you and others in the northland have been getting out and doing good lately.

Back
Top Bottom