AT Pro Multiple Tones

groundmagnet

I went out today for a few hours on an old homestead site. First half hour was all signals in the 60's, which resulted in mostly old shotgun shell brass. Lots and lots of iron, much on the surface.

I had two or three really good signals mixed in with bad. At one point I was reading a 99, but surround it was iron signals. One of them I could not recover yet as it was in a buried brick pile and I only had a Lesche digger. I'll be back for that one.

The other the AT Pro was hitting in the upper 80s at a depth of 10+ inches. I dug and ended up recovering a horseshoe about 8 inches deep. Scanned the hole again and nothing.

On the surface the horseshoe was doing the same thing. Jumping from iron to high 80s. Is it possible there are different metals mixed in, or does the machine jump a lot on junk targets?

On the way out I had a solid signal in the 80s with no mixed signal. Ended up digging a Deere Reich-Ash hinged tin, from what appears to be from the 1930s in a spot away from the homestead. That was the only find from today, so at least not skunked.

L-4SIAOSRcRanl7H7X6I1tk452OEeoFqt09wU-EBv9yAftVsQ_4Wf9Tx-aBj9IY8cuAs7PCQjzrPDQhn9X_BzKkc8avdk9kzuWHeigsoVv-BQzJ1vd-TwlCCm4mqisxJs_oqhDNNWLXg-ogLxMGCH1oKqG3K4F3eRYRtVhFQ-IKCt8DwLE1IC88qG5YyA3ciaDL-avdiGcIf6P0iKzVL7Lbs6jzSPiqPCIjHa1MB6zm5n5VrVGOZKb7YHkp6gJJdqB6srVyCue9i1C_K9Cc-WGFDPuwBwuXhgWPeeJIMshv4tjMzcur7BNxN-aVBThxPEWNA9Id8eDAem6Zm1DOcCZ1LEtCvxQcNed4nBcpcinE6xt94zTnF91JNdOZj6PLW8afz8rTGNT22VRmd5aNX8iUQUZuSsiv4fQBzOHPbPOB0p3JIG5byD40FC0sgYg_OAw74RYlHIS9LtWKf0m19zDWsA95nFS4xAjLj7r3xdHkdcbNPO-JyxPZ9dAeBrudAtEbVOB0EsUVrBIcvAEHGoVVM4x9PHGuA5QJzepVVhncHTgJwhaqJq9jC9vH5o-hQu2kLMwOrDKb6B-vv8_vI8o78nWJnCwhnVL4dFMyraA=w578-h770-no

Any tips on the AT Pro for signals like this?

Take your time on that place and just keep working it! It will teach you a lot about dirt and the language of your rig......Surely theres a Pony in there somewhere! Nice old Tin you got there!

The horseshoe while made of iron is just like swinging over a coke can and rings up really high because of the relative size. I'd imagine it told you the depth was shallow but it was actually several inches deeper.

The target you hit that sounded high but was surrounded by iron was probably a bottle cap. Tones just like quarter, but you'll hear slight iron usually building up from around the edges, they are slight but most of the time if not corroded/decayed to much...then you can really hear them.

The more practice you get, the better you'll figure out the subtleties of the AT Pro. It's a great detector, but even with these hints you really never know for sure unless you dig.

I've noticed on my ATP the same thing you're talking about. I'll get hit that bounce from the mid 30's-99. I've tried to separate as good as possible before I dig, but it usually ends up being trash. But, by all means dig it. You will get to know the sounds quickly, especially if it's trash....Unfortunately, sometimes ya just don't know til ya dig it up....HH

So a site I have been working has a ton of shotgun pellets. There is a pile of literally hundreds of shells. The AT Pro goes absolutely nuts. It seems like it overwhelms the coil in some of these areas, and I cannot find a spot without getting a signal of some sort.

I can put the Garrett Carrot on the ground, and it will go off anywhere.

Ordered the sniper coil. Anything else I should be doing?

So a site I have been working has a ton of shotgun pellets. There is a pile of literally hundreds of shells. The AT Pro goes absolutely nuts. It seems like it overwhelms the coil in some of these areas, and I cannot find a spot without getting a signal of some sort.

I can put the Garrett Carrot on the ground, and it will go off anywhere.

Ordered the sniper coil. Anything else I should be doing?

I'd think either get them all up or discriminate them out and hunt over them, although pretty sure it'll skew all the other targets ID's a bit.

If you think pellets are bad, which they are...wait till you hit a little girls bobby pin. Total overload especially if just under the surface.

I'd think either get them all up or discriminate them out and hunt over them, although pretty sure it'll skew all the other targets ID's a bit.

If you think pellets are bad, which they are...wait till you hit a little girls bobby pin. Total overload especially if just under the surface.

I tried to discriminate them out, but they still read on the MD. I just don't get the audible tone. If I watch the VDI, it jumps then gets stuck. I have to lift the coil in the air for about 5 seconds for it to "forget" it had a signal.

I tried to discriminate them out, but they still read on the MD. I just don't get the audible tone. If I watch the VDI, it jumps then gets stuck. I have to lift the coil in the air for about 5 seconds for it to "forget" it had a signal.

The At Pro reads VDI even if discriminated, just eliminates the audio. Sounds like you'll need to clear those pellets out if you want to hunt it, or just consider it unhuntable. Many times we'll joke about "salting" beaches with bb's just to piss off other mders', we're joking of course but it works especially once they start to rust.

Ground Magnet...Not sure how long you’ve been detecting or how much time you have with your machine but ME PERSONALLY,I wouldn’t try to conquer that particular place right away. To go in there with a solid understanding of your machine and a hundred hours on it,then maybe,though it’s still not my cup of tea because the return rate is usually very low. When you couple a newer operator with very low return rates,it makes the operator feel as though they are doing something wrong,and you’re second guessing everything that comes under the coil. That’s not a good way to build confidence in what you’re doing. Even if you find a cool relic or such,it’s still largely by chance. To KNOW with a great deal of accuracy that you’re digging a coin because you know how to SIZE it,you know that the ID is in range and you know that the SOUND is correct(not the sound itself but the QUALITY of the sound),then maybe a place like that would just be another challenge. But to make it a learning ground...it can be detrimental to your confidence in your machine and yourself.
Find a local school,park,soccer field,ball field,etc and do your learning there(after you’ve discovered how to dig a proper plug of course,if you have trouble with this). These targets are a lot more clear for the great part,and you don’t have to fight iron all the time. It just builds that primary foundation that you’ll need for all of your hunting,with any machine,really. To get discouraged by a huge pile of trash right off the bat is just not the thing to do,IMHO. While old coins CAN be there,most cities and towns have better places to find them than an old country dump.
If you are in an extraordinary situation and that is the ONLY place you CAN hunt,then so be it and best of luck!:grin:

Ground Magnet...Not sure how long you’ve been detecting or how much time you have with your machine but ME PERSONALLY,I wouldn’t try to conquer that particular place right away. To go in there with a solid understanding of your machine and a hundred hours on it,then maybe,though it’s still not my cup of tea because the return rate is usually very low. When you couple a newer operator with very low return rates,it makes the operator feel as though they are doing something wrong,and you’re second guessing everything that comes under the coil. That’s not a good way to build confidence in what you’re doing. Even if you find a cool relic or such,it’s still largely by chance. To KNOW with a great deal of accuracy that you’re digging a coin because you know how to SIZE it,you know that the ID is in range and you know that the SOUND is correct(not the sound itself but the QUALITY of the sound),then maybe a place like that would just be another challenge. But to make it a learning ground...it can be detrimental to your confidence in your machine and yourself.
Find a local school,park,soccer field,ball field,etc and do your learning there(after you’ve discovered how to dig a proper plug of course,if you have trouble with this). These targets are a lot more clear for the great part,and you don’t have to fight iron all the time. It just builds that primary foundation that you’ll need for all of your hunting,with any machine,really. To get discouraged by a huge pile of trash right off the bat is just not the thing to do,IMHO. While old coins CAN be there,most cities and towns have better places to find them than an old country dump.
If you are in an extraordinary situation and that is the ONLY place you CAN hunt,then so be it and best of luck!:grin:

You are right, this is not the place to learn the AT Pro. I have learned a lot of the signs already though. I figure I'll give it a once over with the super sniper coil and see what happens.

For the winter I'll focus on the tot lots and parks around here.

Got the sniper coil in today. I'm not really impressed. Yes, it does have a small detection area to get around some of the junk, but the depth is horrible. I knew some depth would be lacking due to the small coil. I can barely get a silver dollar to ring up at 6 inches. Small gold necklace less than 2 inches. Penny 4 inches. I'll give it a field test vs air test. Might have to spring for the 5x8 coil.

Back
Top Bottom