AT MAX. New to the VDI numbers. Question.

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
I'm new to the VDI numbers. I have an ACE 350 that didn't have them. I am noticing with the AT MAX, that I will sometimes get a high-tone without a VDI number displayed. It is on deep targets (I'm guessing that they are deep) and sometimes when I try to pinpoint it, the AT MAX can't find the signal to pinpoint. Then as I swing the detector over the same spot, i pick up a high-tone again with no VDI displayed. Does this sound like I have sensitivity too high and the signal is a ghost? Do some deep targets not register a VDI number? Should I be digging these high-tone signals? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I find the same thing with the PRO and the MAX.
I tell myself that if it is an "iffy" signal (deep) and I cannot pinpoint it, I usually will not dig it.

My first silver dime with my ATPro had a high tone but no display. Couldn't pinpoint either. It was a deep silver dime.

Yep, my MAX does this too. Typically, for me at least, it's when other signals are around (such as iron). I call it getting a "squeaker" (though not very repeatable).

One thing you can do is go ALL METAL and turn up the Threshold to 4 or so. You should be able to hit the target then no problem.

Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to know that it's not just me that this happens to. Now i just have to decide if its worth the dig to find out if it is a deep silver dime!. Do you guys hear different high-tones? I mean... Does a silver coin have a different sound to its signal? All the high-tones sound the same to me at this point.

Yep, my MAX does this too. Typically, for me at least, it's when other signals are around (such as iron). I call it getting a "squeaker" (though not very repeatable).

One thing you can do is go ALL METAL and turn up the Threshold to 4 or so. You should be able to hit the target then no problem.

That's a great tip on using the ALL METAL MODE and higher threshold to pinpoint a weak signal. Thanks. If I'm in an area without too much trash I run it in ALL METAL wide open, but I really have to watch the VDI numbers because every thing hits mid-tone in ALL METAL.

Back
Top Bottom