ATpro Question

CS1

Still learning the pro and trying to get dialed in on gold rings. Dig everything in the 53 to 70 range ground and balance is around 84 to 90 depending where I go. Any help would be great. Or maybe it's just me doing something wrong.

Still learning the pro and trying to get dialed in on gold rings. Dig everything in the 53 to 70 range ground and balance is around 84 to 90 depending where I go. Any help would be great. Or maybe it's just me doing something wrong.

I'm no expert and I don't have the ATP, but my ground balance is 82 where I am so that's really close, but I would probably even dig a little lower than 53 and anything above it. Gold rings can fall almost anywhere above iron dependent on size and shape and orientation. And silver will hit well above 70, so don't want to miss those rings either. At least that's pretty much what I've learned here.

I've found quite a few at 50 even... Nickels come in at 52 for me...

The little 14k I found yesterday was a 40, but only weighed .7 grams...

Most for me probably between 48 and 60, but I scoop everything but iron in the water...

Good luck!!

<°)))>{

Or maybe there just isn't any gold rings where you're hunting? Dirt gold are pretty few and far between, so maybe it's just a matter of getting over one. Good luck and HH!

On the At Pro, gold can come in anywhere between 38 into the 70's. Just depends on size, K, chain or ring, rose gold, white gold, or yellow gold. These all affect how it shows up on the VDI. I dirt hunt and average 2-3 gold items a year. That also equals a lot of digging trash. If pull tabs and foil balls were worth anything, I'd be a millionaire. So don't get discouraged if you don't find gold immediately. You can only find it if you can get some under your coil. Look for places where people have a tendency to lose things, like sport fields, tot lots, swings and swimming areas. GL Tom. PS. Try practicing with different gold items(necklaces, rings of different K, and color) and see how they ring up.

Well,,I don't have an At Pro,,but I can give you some advice.

DIG

Now some sites do seem to up the odds of finding gold jewelry.
Swimming spots,,sports areas, picnic areas, etc.

But a gold ring could be found in many other places too.

Class rings surface too occassioanly.

Good luck,,no real shortcuts except for maybe site selection.

And think about this.

If you go to a beach or swimming part or sports area,,,remember pull tabs are your friend. Why??

If you are not finding pull tabs,,then the odds of someone else already being there and detecting looking for gold jewelry are much higher.

I'm no expert and I don't have the ATP, but my ground balance is 82 where I am so that's really close, but I would probably even dig a little lower than 53 and anything above it. Gold rings can fall almost anywhere above iron dependent on size and shape and orientation. And silver will hit well above 70, so don't want to miss those rings either. At least that's pretty much what I've learned here.

Silver can be a little lower than 70s, I dug a little infinity necklace that was a surprise as it was a solid 63. I thought it was junk until I saw the sterling mark.

Still looking for the question. :D

You're trying to dial in on one of the hardest targets while still learning the machine. As the previous respondents have stated gold can ring in a wide range and unfortunately that range is shared with a variety of junk.

Concentrate on learning the ATP and the gold will come with time.

CS1, small gold rings, ear rings lockets and studs can come in as low as 35. The higher freq of the ATP is a plus in that zone. good luck.

Silver can be a little lower than 70s, I dug a little infinity necklace that was a surprise as it was a solid 63. I thought it was junk until I saw the sterling mark.

Yeah, I guess I should have stated that better to say "silver can fall within a range that tops out well above 70" meaning to not limit himself to just top ID of 70.

Another important thing I want to make note of....

There is just as much silver in the gold range as gold, 36-75... Silver earrings, chains, pendants, and bracelets can all fall into that range.. I've found lots of old sterling religious pendants that came in as a penny..

In short, little silvers are with gold, if you are really looking hard for gold jewelry and are not finding some small silver, you're in the wrong places..

Also worth mentioning some of the coolest coins hit that range, trimes, half dimes, fishscales, most gold coins!

This is a picture of a hunt, all three of these signals were a zinc penny... Two were silver..

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20141214_003615.jpg
    IMG_20141214_003615.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_20141214_220334.jpg
    IMG_20141214_220334.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 184
Scott,
You should try to lay down a few gold items and swing over them to see how they ring up. The other options is to do what I do - DIG everything above iron (40+)
Today I found an Injun that rang up in the 50's
It was in the hole with a square nail

Scott,
You should try to lay down a few gold items and swing over them to see how they ring up. The other options is to do what I do - DIG everything above iron (40+)
Today I found an Injun that rang up in the 50's
It was in the hole with a square nail

Could you mail me "a few gold items" for testing? I'll send them back....promise :roll:

We all began oneday just like you....Gold is a cruel mistress, especially dirt gold! You just gotta commit to it and think about what the scrap and dirt is telling you...You WILL find it if you are committed to finding it and study drop zones...

Its good to dig as much volumn as possible...if you can slam 100+ targets on an outing in a good location daily, the odds are in your favor one of those tabs or nickels or foil or zincish signals will be a gold ring eventually...so speedy target retrieval methods are a good thing to get good at...

Pattern your style after some of the Members here that find more than their share of Dirt Gold...Beephead does some great posts including his daily 'junkshot'...D27 got on a roll for Dirt gold his second year into this sport and snagged 12 nice finds one year alone! Detector has been doing this sport forever, and he has some great advice about gold and where...He also comments about the AtPro being a monster on gold chains, (which is what you really want)...

You just cant be picky about locations either..totlots, parking lot edges, curbstrips, sportsfields...look at your local Craigslist 'lost and found' and you will see most gold dropped now a days is in parking lots!

Most gold dropped in the 60's70's was in picnic areas and parks...let the dirt and scrap tell you if you are in likely paydirt...

Dirt gold is the toughest target to repeatedly capture...so pattern your hunting after the guys that seem to knock it down and tailor it to your area...

The Pro wont miss it if its there...you are more tracking people than the target, so dont worry about the TIDS, get a feel for the demographics and travel patterns of 'Gold wearers" in your area...outside of wedding reception halls where people fight or smoke is a hotspot!...hell, hunt right there in the gravel lot!

Let the area (scrap) tell you what your odds may be...then either move on or work it hard...You can learn alot from the Beachboys too, even if you never hunt the water...study the junk shots and get a good dose of inspiration and go out often with Gold as your focus...right now, theres several oz of lost gold within 5miles of your house, most of it is not deep...just waiting there for you, along with a ton of tabs and foil and whatnot!
Mud

Back
Top Bottom