A little coinage with the new coil...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Through a generous offer from another member on the forum, Captain Silver, yesterday I opened a package he sent me that contained 3 coils.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=173961

2 11" DD coils and a 5" sniper coil.
These things look like they were rode hard and put away wet, but he said at least one of the DD coils and the sniper work perfectly.

They have been repaired with that wonder of modern science JB Weld, and they needed some care and attention because they were used on a very rocky beach in the northeast.
Even though they were put through the ringer they did their jobs well and got him plenty of silver on a beach that he told me in the past that due to some strange and rare early in the year weather that beach was truly a once in a life time experience to hunt.
Evidently most of the sand was gone and the rocky hard-pan remained and under that hard-pan was treasure...and lots of it.
Well, he now has an Omega and he did sell his F75 but not these coils and the nice guy that he is he noticed I had just started hunting with a new F70 and so he sent these coils to me.
Unbelievable, huh?

I opened the package and immediately threw on one of the DD coils and tried it out in the living room passing it over the nails in my floor and a few coins I threw down.
Not much came out of it, pretty silent with no signals and just a little falsing so this one might be too far gone but I will check it out later and see if I could get it to work.
Then I threw the other one on there and then the F70 came to life.

Even though it was a frosty 15 degrees I just had to go out and see how it worked for as long as I could stand it and at a site near my home at a Jr. college, in an area near some soccer and football fields I have been practically living at and have taken a little silver and a gold ring and a large amount of clad out of, this coil found me even more that I had missed and found these targets in an area that I have scoured with 3 different detectors and several coils more times than I can count or remember.
Found it all pretty easily, too.

I discovered that the pull back and wiggle method in disc to pinpoint works just as well on this unit and this coil as it does on my Vaquero when I use the large DD coil on that one.
Even better, when I hit the pinpoint button and then pulled back the target just dropped out when the front of the coil moved just past it, and this seemed to be an even more accurate way to pinpoint targets.
I did try crossing over targets and then getting the line and then turning 90 degrees to find the crossover point and that seemed to work fine also.
This might be the way I need to do it to accurately pinpoint the real deepies when I get around to hunting in better weather and unfrozen ground again.

Now here is the real good news.
I hope this is the way this thing actually works and not because there is a problem with this coil, too, but it ran smoother and quieter than the standard 10" elliptical coil that the F70 came with.
Way, way smoother and quieter.

When I got to this site I still had the thing set like this.
1 on the disc
4H on the tones
80 on the sense
DE on the speed
-1 on the thresh

To this point on 4 hunts and one at this very site using the standard coil I couldn't get any higher on the thresh past that -1 because it would just get too noisy and also would make the tones sound funny and not sharp like I like.
I have read many posts about lots of owners not getting much higher than -2 or -3 on the thresh before the noise sets in.
I have also read about a few that live in areas or hunt sites where they can get much higher into the positive numbers which is good because evidently this setting, along with different levels of sensitivity, governs the depth of this unit and if you get these both set just right and in sync for whatever site you hunt you can usually get pretty deep...scary deep sometimes.
Especially when using this DD coil.

When I got here and parked and turned it on I did attempt to move the thresh up from that -1 setting at first and I did bump it up to 0 but higher than that a little noise started popping up so I backed it back down.

I stayed out in the cold for about 45 minutes and walked around and got maybe 150 yards from my truck and found these targets then it was time to go home because even with hot packs in my gloves my fingers started to freeze.
On the way back I attempted to play with the settings a bit, even with my frozen fingers, and something happened that you might not believe.
I was able to turn the thresh all the way up to 9 and max it out, and the sense I went max too up to 99...and the thing stayed pretty darn quiet.

Again, not sure if there is a problem with the coil because the F70 stayed unusually quiet but it seemed to work fine, I picked up a few more coins on these settings and pinpointing depth and everything else seemed normal, and I actually got a few signals that were solid and repeatable and when I used the pinpoint button to get the depth reading I saw numbers like 12, 13 and 14 inches...I kid you not!

No way was I going to dig these deep ones, it was too cold and my hands were frozen and even digging 3" down was not easy because after some teens and 20 degree days the soil was already getting frozen, but man, I sure wanted to.

If this what I have to look forward to when the weather warms up and the season begins for me again next spring, I have no idea how I am going to wait it out.
Like having a Lamborghini and keeping it in the garage all the time.

Next up I will try the sniper coil out.
Changing coils is a breeze on this one compared to the F2...the connection is right in the back and out in the open and not buried into the side of the housing where it is hard to get to like on the F2.

Once again Captain I thank you and I am in your debt.

Here are a few coins and a 1990 March of dimes Walk America thingy that might have been a one time thing because I can't find any info about this piece on the net.
All were found in areas I know I searched before...and once again the F70 was able to home in on all these things like a laser beam.

Come on spring!

Attachments

• P1040880.jpg
    P1040880.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 349
  • P1040881.jpg
    P1040881.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 355
If the coil's quiet, then it's working fine. When they constantly chatter, you have problems that might not be emi or a loose connection:lol:...You should be able to run at full power in your dirt with the 11"...air test it should tone at about a foot away, real world depth on silver...10" with a vdi you can interpret. I know you'll put the coils to good use!

If the coil's quiet, then it's working fine. When they constantly chatter, you have problems that might not be emi or a loose connection:lol:...You should be able to run at full power in your dirt with the 11"...air test it should tone at about a foot away, real world depth on silver...10" with a vdi you can interpret. I know you'll put the coils to good use!

Good use?
Great use if this thing is going this deep so quietly.
Might need to learn a little Chinese too, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom