SEF vs Pro Coil

Deakon

Hey all,

I had a question regarding my recent 8x6sef for the etrac. I was wondering how many people have given up using the pro coil once you started using the sef. Do you lose much using the sef, besides coverage? I tend to hunt areas that seem trashy is parts and then all of a sudden gets real clean. Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of time to detect, so I like to pound an area out with the best choice first.

That being said, I am not too thrilled with the snow so far since getting the sef in the mail, lol!

Hey all,

I had a question regarding my recent 8x6sef for the etrac. I was wondering how many people have given up using the pro coil once you started using the sef. Do you lose much using the sef, besides coverage? I tend to hunt areas that seem trashy is parts and then all of a sudden gets real clean. Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of time to detect, so I like to pound an area out with the best choice first.

That being said, I am not too thrilled with the snow so far since getting the sef in the mail, lol!

Can't speak for the etrac. But on the V3i, DFX, MXT, Sovereign gt....I like 'em!

I preferred the SEF coils over the pro coil. If you want coverage buy the 12x10. The 8x6 is a killer coil on the Etrac.

I use NEL coils on my Etrac but I've heard nothing but good on that little SEF. Tons of the hardcore UK guys swear by them in the stubble fields, the bigger SEFs on pasture and plowed fields. Just put a SEF on my Excal and testing it out this week. NEL or Detech, those Eastern Europeans know how to design coils. :yes:

I don't care for any aftermarket coils. Especially brands that make the same exact coil for multiple brands of detectors. I can't imagine much R&D went into devolping the coil or each machine... I honestly think every SEF coil is the same, just the plug pin-out is different to match each detector manufacturers control box.

Stick with the Pro-Coil.

The pro coil never impressed me. I have a 6x8 sef that pretty much stays on all the time unless I am in a huge area then I put on the wot.

I don't care for any aftermarket coils. Especially brands that make the same exact coil for multiple brands of detectors. I can't imagine much R&D went into devolping the coil or each machine... I honestly think every SEF coil is the same, just the plug pin-out is different to match each detector manufacturers control box.

Stick with the Pro-Coil.

Have you actually used any of the sef coils? The 6x8 is great around trash and is almost as deep as the stock 11"coil.

SEF coils are Great !

I have SEF 6X8- mid-size, the SEF 10X12-full size,and the SEF 12X15 - large as I'am gone to go size, coils. All of which have thier own special purpose and work amazing in both seperation and depth ! :yes: Solid great coils IMO.

Stick with the Pro-Coil.

May not be the case for everyone. But the way I found out the SEF's appear to be pretty well made is, on a V3i you need to use a Whites V rated coil. I tested all my whites non v rated coils and they fail the v nulled test. Slab on the black SEFs and they passed the v nulled test. And can handle TX boost on. A 6x10" eclipse coil will float. As will several other coils. SEF's are neutral buoyant:D

Stick with the Pro-Coil.

To each their own but I'll bet if you tried one you probably wouldn't go back to the Procoil (even though it IS a good all-rounder). :yes:

There is a reason the SEFs carry a good resale value. Honestly, the Pro Coil is a good one, but the 12x10 SEF is better. The 8x6 is totally awesome!
I run the SEFs exclusively
If $ is tight, get an 8x6SEF coil and run the Pro Coil. A killer combo for sure.:thumbsup:

To each their own but I'll bet if you tried one you probably wouldn't go back to the Procoil (even though it IS a good all-rounder). :yes:

+1 :yes:

I've used the 10x12 Sef on two different Etracs and don't see a lot of difference over the pro coil. However, my Explorer 2 equipped with Sef blows the Etrac out of the water, as far as depth is concerned.

Have you actually used any of the sef coils? The 6x8 is great around trash and is almost as deep as the stock 11"coil.

Yup..I had the 10x12 SEF. To me it was just heavier than the ProCoil and didn't allow the coil to sit flat on the ground when putting the machine down. I did find goods though..

I'm a purist therefore only OEM works for me.

8c52b7e9.jpg

Stick with the Pro-Coil.

Agreed except for Coiltek. They are partnered with Minelab and have exclusive rights. They have by far the best quality and research.

I really like the ProCoil. I have an 8x6 SEF that I ordered when I bought my Etrac only because I used that coil exclusively on my DFX. I use the ProCoil 95% of the time unless I'm in ridiculous iron or very very heavy trash. If you go slow enough and don't discriminate a ton the ProCoil does very well in trash. It does take some patience and finesse though. I found an additional 27 wheat pennies and 3 silver dimes in a section I had hit with the DFX and 8x6. These were all found almost exclusively with the ProCoil (in heavy trash). I just ordered a 15" WOT that I'm still waiting to try once the ground thaws.

I had a Coiltek "joey" coil for my Sovereign Elite but after a trip to Minelab to get it fixed (didn't happen) I sold it and the guy who bought it loves it. I really like the 6X8 SEF on my E-Trac though.

I don't use just one brand,size or design of coil for detecting, because there are lots of determining factors, when it comes to detecting.

Great coils I like.

I don't use just one brand,size or design of coil for detecting, because there are lots of determining factors, when it comes to detecting.

I agree graybeard, besides the SEF's I do have all of the Sun Ray coils that are exceptional in both quallity and performance. Each of the brands and size coils brings its own values to the table. Now if they could only change the weather !!:lol: Happy Hunting !

Back
Top Bottom