• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Pointer

DbblTap

Elite Member
I am looking for a cheap pointer to get my feet wet with using them to see if I like using them.

Who should I buy?

Thanks!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

a cheap one will just frustrate you to no end. I recommend meeting with someone that has a garrett or a white trx and try them out. They are worth the extra cash for sure. Once i used a pin pointer I was hooked, increases target recovery speed quite a bit, and helps prevent stabbing things by accident .

I have a Whites TRX. When the wife got a free used bounty hunter and joined me on a hunt, We tried sharing the pinpointer, turns out our marriage isn't strong enough for that. I tried the harbor freight pinpointer and after a couple of returns I got one that worked for 1/2 hour. I let the wife use the TRX and I did without for one hunt and hated it, but I would rather do without than have a cheap one. The wife now has her own TRX that has been used once and in my opinion was worth every penny. If you get a good pinpointer and don't like it you could sell it and lose less money than being stuck with a cheap one you can't sell.
I'm very happy with the TRX, the only complaint is about the owners manual, it's lousy about explaining ratcheting and sensitivity.

I am looking for a cheap pointer to get my feet wet with using them to see if I like using them.

Who should I buy?/QUOTE]
You will like using them. I've had the HF and the Bounty Hunter and now the TRX. It is definitely worth the price difference. Might as well just get it over with and buy the White's.:yes:

Who should I buy?

Thanks!

Don't buy a cheap pointer to see if you like it. You'll be wasting money. Buy a good one because you'll soon realize the value of having a good pointer. They're worth every cent you're going to pay for a good one.

a cheap one will just frustrate you to no end. I recommend meeting with someone that has a garrett or a white trx and try them out. They are worth the extra cash for sure. Once i used a pin pointer I was hooked, increases target recovery speed quite a bit, and helps prevent stabbing things by accident .

Lots of good advice here. Buy once, cry once. With a good Pin Pointer you can use it with any machine you might upgrade to in the future.

YOU can get GOOD & CHEAP - its proven

deteknix X POINTER is a prime example & they also came with the accessories free if I remember correctly - where the more expensive, unreliable Pin Pointer cost you more for the extra's ........

So don't believe rumors about cheap = !!!! / !!!! comes in all price points

Mars MD pointer is $90, worth every penny.It is simple, no led,no sensitivity settings, just works very well.

As long as you buy a reputable one, you'll enjoy it. My fav is Garrett's orange carrot looking A/T. Its waterproof, has a light, has sensitvity adjustments, and even works on salt water beaches.

Over the last two years, my kids have used (and abused) it quite a bit. They snorkel with it and use it like a handheld metal detector. Not a single issue.

BTW, call around, I think I paid around $100 delivered.

I started detecting this past July. Got the Garrett Pro-Pointer AT," Garrett Carrot". Couldn't say what its like to hunt without, but from my limited experience I wouldn't want to hunt with out it. Simplifies the process. Depending on the sensitivity, I can pinpoint Items before I even open a plug. That is depending on depth, of course. Saves tons of time. Would recommend a quality tool. You wont be sorry in the least.

Just FYI...

I have found the cheap pin pointers do not pickup small items (especially lower conductors like gold and foil) very good at all compared to the Garrett AT Pointer or Whites TRX. Some were quite bad actually and we stopped selling them.

No more than the cost difference for a solid proven pointer and backing by a great companies like Garrett or Whites it is almost a no brainer.

A pinpointer definitely aids in locating a target especially when digging in and around roots, at least for me. Helps locate a target more precise without damaging. That's where a hand held digger comes in handy also. Lots of sponsors on here to choose from. I use the black Garrett.

Who should I buy?

Thanks!

Believe me, you will LOVE using a pinpointer:yes:. Just go ahead and spend the $$ for a good one, you won't regret it.

Both Garrett pointers are good, but if you ever think you will want to go into the water go ahead and get the carrot.

I used the Harbor Freight pointer for several years. Upgraded it. It worked ok. Better than not having one. Got myself a good pulse induction pointer. Much better. My daughter got her husband an entry level detector. The kind we do not speak of here. So, with my son in laws birthday coming up I thought I would outfit him with some accesories. I got him a finds pouch, a decent digger by a company called gp. Seems really strong for 20 bucks. And a pinpointer being sold by many companies but universally called a gp pointer. They're about 40 bucks on Amazon. No frills, looks like most high end pointers but only has one sensitivity level and alerts with sound and vibration all the time. Has a led light.

Performance wise, beats the Harbor Freight hands down. Gets about 80% of the depth my more expensive one does in air. If you want or need a fairly inexpensive pin pointer, I recommend it.

Not sure of the quality, I opted for a 3 year full replacement warranty for an extra 5 bucks.

There's youtube reviews of it.

Back
Top Bottom