Need some advice please!

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
So tomorrow I may try and hit a saltwater beach. That's about a minimum one hour drive for me so I want to make sure I'm prepared. I'm more familiar with RI beaches, but MA beaches aren't out of the question. I will try to hit the wet sand at low tide. I will be looking for cuts and troughs but will do anything available. I'm hoping these past couple storms might have moved some sand. I'm just not sure where to go? It all looks good on maps, but I've done this land hunting and I'll drive all the way out to a spot just to find out it's private property or something. Any tips or clues would be greatly appreciated thanks!

haha, a one hour drive here in CA is called going to the mall. :D

it's worth it. go try it out!

So tomorrow I may try and hit a saltwater beach. That's about a minimum one hour drive for me so I want to make sure I'm prepared. I'm more familiar with RI beaches, but MA beaches aren't out of the question. I will try to hit the wet sand at low tide. I will be looking for cuts and troughs but will do anything available. I'm hoping these past couple storms might have moved some sand. I'm just not sure where to go? It all looks good on maps, but I've done this land hunting and I'll drive all the way out to a spot just to find out it's private property or something. Any tips or clues would be greatly appreciated thanks!

With the weather report I don't think you will be going in the water... see if you can find a rocky area and hunt that... lots refuse to hunt the rocky spots but they tend to hold good stuff...

With the weather report I don't think you will be going in the water... see if you can find a rocky area and hunt that... lots refuse to hunt the rocky spots but they tend to hold good stuff...

I planned on hitting the wet sand at low tide with my explorer XS, but your right the weather isn't gonna hold up so Monday or Tuesday will probably be better. Thanks for the tip! I'll look into some areas that may have some rocks exposed, never thought of that. HH!

Deep coins won't sound as clean as they do in the dirt, take a scoop or 2 of sand out and they'll clear up...don't be surprised digging a foot down to recover some of 'em with the XS. What coil are you using, the 10x12?

Deep coins won't sound as clean as they do in the dirt, take a scoop or 2 of sand out and they'll clear up...don't be surprised digging a foot down to recover some of 'em with the XS. What coil are you using, the 10x12?

Correct, the 10x12 is working. Mounted backwards :lol: I appreciate the tips, it will be my first saltwater hunt. Looks like tomorrow will be no good with almost a foot of snow coming and more blizzard conditions :no: looks like Monday or Tuesday might be better but that's more time to properly plan this out. Gotta find some good locations really. I'm afraid of driving an hour to a spot and not finding those "old" pockets. I want to do this every winter from now on, and will be looking into a better beach machine when the funds allow it. HH!

Really the only machine better for the beach would be something waterproof, a Excalibur, CZ...you'll be fine with the Explorer just keep it dry. There should be some good beach erosion with the wind and waves coming your way.

Hey Cellr...theres a site called 'Windfinder' that is typically followed by the surfers/kite sailors...its got global info....saying this...those guys know the beaches, accesses, conditions, they are just as rabid about their Sport as we are ours...so maybe check out Windfinder and the local kities/surfers sites they hang out on?

You get a good idea by simply lurking websites those board Hobbiests frequent...what conditions are coming up, and what sites are available for you to get in on...

Hey Cellr...theres a site called 'Windfinder' that is typically followed by the surfers/kite sailors...its got global info....saying this...those guys know the beaches, accesses, conditions, they are just as rabid about their Sport as we are ours...so maybe check out Windfinder and the local kities/surfers sites they hang out on?

You get a good idea by simply lurking websites those board Hobbiests frequent...what conditions are coming up, and what sites are available for you to get in on...

Cool site, Thanks Mud
Dave

Thanks for sharing mud I'll take a look!

Hi,

I live on the beach in Westport. We haven't had a big southerly blow yet this year, just easterly and northerly.
We are just off the moon so low tide will be mid afternoon.
Let me know what you are thinking, maybe I can give you some guidance.
Vin

Hi,

I live on the beach in Westport. We haven't had a big southerly blow yet this year, just easterly and northerly.
We are just off the moon so low tide will be mid afternoon.
Let me know what you are thinking, maybe I can give you some guidance.
Vin

Thanks Vin! Well as of right now I'm thinking about taking a drive down to RI and meeting a fellow forum member for a hunt. But in the future would love to find places as close to home as possible. And if I can meet and hunt with fellow forums members that's a huge plus, hate hunting alone! Possibly next week I would be willing to drive out that way and possibly give the beach a shot if your interested let me know! HH! Jeff

Back
Top Bottom