Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Coiltek electronics
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-16-2018, 08:38 AM
pan4au's Avatar
pan4au pan4au is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: W.Tn
Posts: 1,980
Default Handle options

I recently purchased a SS sand scoop and am needing a handle and looking for options. I'm hoping to get to go to a NC or Fl beach in a couple of months.. I planning to hit a few fresh water beaches here in Tn. TIA

__________________
Judge: You shot him in the back in self Defense?

Defendant: No your honor, I shot him in the ass as he jumped the fence!

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 07-16-2018, 07:40 PM
dewcon's Avatar
dewcon dewcon is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gulf, Florida
Posts: 6,865
Default

Hardware store.... get a hoe and a hardwood dowel 2' to put inside the fiberglass handle. Had mine at least 7 years. They are sealed on one end so float too.

__________________
EQ800 CTX Blue Xcals SKULLIES

D. Meeker

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #3  
Old 07-16-2018, 08:20 PM
beachrumbum beachrumbum is online now
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 145
Default

I went to home depot, got a shovel handle for 5 dollars. I ended up having to reseal it as it soaked up saltwater and broke at the end. I sealed it in epoxy and fiberglass and seems to be going strong.
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 07-16-2018, 08:49 PM
Saltshaker's Avatar
Saltshaker Saltshaker is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 356
Default

4-Ft.Fiberglass Atlas Post Hole Digger Handle

This is what I use and its been perfect. Pretty cheap too.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 07-16-2018, 10:13 PM
Ra1der5's Avatar
Ra1der5 Ra1der5 is offline
Athletic Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,597
Default

Check the diameter of the mounting bracket/tube.

I use these 1-3/8" diameter fiberglass handles for my Stealth and T-Rex.

R5

__________________
Tell me and I forget, show me and I remember, involve me and I learn.

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 07-16-2018, 11:16 PM
pan4au's Avatar
pan4au pan4au is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: W.Tn
Posts: 1,980
Default

it has a 1 1/8" hole. I may go to the weekly flea market in the morning and see if I can find something there and check out some hardware stores if I can't find anything at Trade Day

__________________
Judge: You shot him in the back in self Defense?

Defendant: No your honor, I shot him in the ass as he jumped the fence!

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 07-17-2018, 02:54 PM
lytle78 lytle78 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 454
Default

Walmart post hole digger. Two handles for about $20. throw the digger part away.

__________________
Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 07-17-2018, 05:03 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7,684
Default

Here's the way I did my scoops handle. One armed operation :
Attached Images
    
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 07-17-2018, 06:34 PM
pan4au's Avatar
pan4au pan4au is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: W.Tn
Posts: 1,980
Default

I saw those handles at Wally World today.. I couldn't tell the diameter. My next trip I'll take my calipers with me so I can get the correct size..

__________________
Judge: You shot him in the back in self Defense?

Defendant: No your honor, I shot him in the ass as he jumped the fence!

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 07-18-2018, 05:52 AM
dewcon's Avatar
dewcon dewcon is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gulf, Florida
Posts: 6,865
Default

You didnt show a picture of your scoop..... but the reason i recommended a dowel for fiberglass, if you dont they can split from the pulling and twisting..... especially if the bolt holding them is to low. I had to modify mine even with a dowel.
Attached Images
 

__________________
EQ800 CTX Blue Xcals SKULLIES

D. Meeker

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 07-18-2018, 05:59 AM
Steve Steve is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: port-a-potty-beach
Posts: 3,092
Default

Originally Posted by dewcon View post
You didnt show a picture of your scoop..... but the reason i recommended a dowel for fiberglass, if you dont they can split from the pulling and twisting..... especially if the bolt holding them is to low. I had to modify mine even with a dowel.
I like that design dew.. Just curious. Why didn't you just glue it in there?

__________________
Beep and dig

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 07-18-2018, 08:49 AM
pan4au's Avatar
pan4au pan4au is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: W.Tn
Posts: 1,980
Default

here's the scoop I'm getting the handle for
Attached Images
  

__________________
Judge: You shot him in the back in self Defense?

Defendant: No your honor, I shot him in the ass as he jumped the fence!

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 07-24-2018, 08:07 AM
ROBOTCOP13 ROBOTCOP13 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 619
Default

Go to Harbor Freight and get a spade shovel with the yellow fiberglass handle and the classic D handle. Remove the blade and short wood dowel and replace a full length wood dowel in the yellow fiberglass sleeve. The shovel costs about $8 with the 20% off coupon.
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 07-24-2018, 08:19 AM
Steve77's Avatar
Steve77 Steve77 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lakeview, Michigan
Posts: 1,422
Default

Originally Posted by pan4au View post
I saw those handles at Wally World today.. I couldn't tell the diameter. My next trip I'll take my calipers with me so I can get the correct size..
Next time, walk it over to the hardware department and grab a tape measure. I have used tape measures off the shelf for impromptu measurements of all kinds.

__________________
Nox 600, AT Pro, Whites TRX, Modified Fiskars, Stealth 720i
Jewelry:Gold(2) Silver(13) Coins:Silvers(17) Buffalo(5) V Nicklels(3) IH(3)
Tokens(6) Returns(2)

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #15  
Old 07-24-2018, 08:35 AM
pan4au's Avatar
pan4au pan4au is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: W.Tn
Posts: 1,980
Default

Originally Posted by Steve77 View post
Next time, walk it over to the hardware department and grab a tape measure. I have used tape measures off the shelf for impromptu measurements of all kinds.
I carry a piece of metal that I bent in a U shape that is 1 1/8" id. I check the shafts with it. Every fiberglass handle id too large. I ended up putting a hard wood shaft on the scoop. I'm going to do some water hunting this morning with it

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

__________________
Judge: You shot him in the back in self Defense?

Defendant: No your honor, I shot him in the ass as he jumped the fence!

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 07-24-2018, 08:45 AM
Steve Steve is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: port-a-potty-beach
Posts: 3,092
Default

Originally Posted by pan4au View post
I carry a piece of metal that I bent in a U shape that is 1 1/8" id. I check the shafts with it. Every fiberglass handle id too large. I ended up putting a hard wood shaft on the scoop. I'm going to do some water hunting this morning with it

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
Make sure you take it out after or it will swell and rot.. Then snap off mid hunt in short order

__________________
Beep and dig

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #17  
Old 07-24-2018, 10:26 PM
pan4au's Avatar
pan4au pan4au is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: W.Tn
Posts: 1,980
Default

Originally Posted by Steve View post
Make sure you take it out after or it will swell and rot.. Then snap off mid hunt in short order
Thanks..

__________________
Judge: You shot him in the back in self Defense?

Defendant: No your honor, I shot him in the ass as he jumped the fence!

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 07-25-2018, 02:54 AM
stavr's Avatar
stavr stavr is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ukraine
Posts: 694
Default

if the handle is made of wood ..., ash wood there are a few recommendations:
1) treat with paraffin and heat to impregnate.
2) look at the picture as the correctly handle
Attached Images
 

__________________
Minelab explorer XS & Excalibur1000 since 2001,
StavRscoop Evroexcavator-2

Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 07-25-2018, 06:26 PM
OnTheBeach OnTheBeach is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1
Default

Originally Posted by pan4au View post
here's the scoop I'm getting the handle for
One of my scoops is very similar to yours. Roughly 1 1/8" diameter shaft needed. I've been happy with hardwood handles from Home Depot. Some come from Brazil. They had some darker colored ones in the mop & broom section and lighter colored ones where other wood handles are.

I sort through them and pick one with a nice tight and consistent grain. I orient the grain lines at the cut end to be parallel with the direction of the pulling. The handles have a tapered end which someone in the lumber section will cut off for you as it is not needed.

I haven't broken one yet but I do make sure to ease up on the pull if it starts to bend much.

Edit to add: Don't be too surprised if some of the welds break on the scoop. I had the welds redone on mine. Finds someone who welds stainless steel. It is still my favorite scoop for some reason. It just seems easier to get targets than my other scoops.
Reply With Quote


  #20  
Old 07-25-2018, 08:50 PM
pan4au's Avatar
pan4au pan4au is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: W.Tn
Posts: 1,980
Default

Originally Posted by OnTheBeach View post
One of my scoops is very similar to yours. Roughly 1 1/8" diameter shaft needed. I've been happy with hardwood handles from Home Depot. Some come from Brazil. They had some darker colored ones in the mop & broom section and lighter colored ones where other wood handles are.

I sort through them and pick one with a nice tight and consistent grain. I orient the grain lines at the cut end to be parallel with the direction of the pulling. The handles have a tapered end which someone in the lumber section will cut off for you as it is not needed.

I haven't broken one yet but I do make sure to ease up on the pull if it starts to bend much.

Edit to add: Don't be too surprised if some of the welds break on the scoop. I had the welds redone on mine. Finds someone who welds stainless steel. It is still my favorite scoop for some reason. It just seems easier to get targets than my other scoops.
I actually bought one of those from home depot a few days ago and put it on last night. I was going to go water hunting this morning but was in too much pain.. I'm hoping to get to use it tomorrow. The fresh water beach should be empty until after lunch.

__________________
Judge: You shot him in the back in self Defense?

Defendant: No your honor, I shot him in the ass as he jumped the fence!

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.