Sea glass

smg

Sea glass

While in the Bahamas I did alot of diving and collected a bunch of sea glass, which my parents who lived there said was worth keeping, some I found to be quite old and some even valuable,
From old wrecks in the area. Do any of you who are on the coasts find much of it? Not the broken 7 ups bottles, but really worn beautiful shards of glass in every imaginable color. smg

Re: Sea glass

I know I grabbed up a bunch of it in the past but I'll be darned if I know where any of it is. I seem to find a lot of it no matter what beach I go too.

When I was stationed in Gitmo Cuba back in 71, the enlisted mens club was on a cliff overlooking the ocean. We went diving below this cliff and you wouldn't believe the sea glass that was there. :shock:Seems a lot of bottles have been thrown from the cliff and over time it has been worn smooth. From what I remember, you could fill a pickup bed with the stuff. Sure wish I would have known that back then. :(

We only know of 1 beach where there is seaglass. I picked up a lot of it. I have so much now, I don't pick it up anymore. Apparently there was an old bottle dump upstream years ago.

I've seen them selling seaglass on Ebay, and I even saw some seaglass jewelry they made from it.

Why would seaglass be valuable? Because of the color?

Yup. You can't find some of them colours anymore... and a lot of it is very thick compared to now-a-day glass.
I even joked to Snowy not long ago about hitting the local recycling center to garb a bunch, run it through the tumbler, and sell it to tourists ('course, I'd never DO anything like that, tho')...! :lol:

Carol, from what I found out down on the islands certain colors,textures and the quality of it , you can tell if its from a recent bottle or from several hundred years ago, I to didn't know allot about it untill my parents started to show me some of the more exotic colors, which you don't normally see. and some have allot of air bubbles in the glass, I brought a jar of it back just for what you said, making jewelry, I also have dremeled out old drift wood and embedded it into to wood so You can hang it in the window and it 's really pretty with the light shining through it.
As far as value, I didn't know about it till I got home and people were oooing and ahhing :lol: over it, so I guess its in the eye of the beholder. smg

Back
Top Bottom