Newbie in North Texas

mrsdetectorist

Hey Everyone!

I have been very interested in metal detecting for years. I majored in archaeology in college and went on many digs. Unfortunately they seemed to frown on metal detecting. I have watched countless shows/youtube videos on the subject, and subscribe to metal detecting magazines.

We'll I'm finally getting my feet wet! Purchased my first "amateur" detector and am heading out to the front yard this weekend to try her out.

Wish me luck :laughing:

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

Hey, some of those "amateur" budget detectors do pretty good for the price, some of us on the forum on a tight hobby budget have managed to be content with our budget detectors :lol:

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

.... I majored in archaeology in college and went on many digs. Unfortunately they seemed to frown on metal detecting.....

Yes. Some archies think that *only they* can or should "touch the past". Anyone else is "pot hunters" and "ripping things from context" blah blah. USA archies frown on md'ing EVEN for use in their own digs. But some archies, in other countries, don't have this bias. And use md'ing in their digs.

There *has* been a few archie digs in the USA, where they utilize detectors. But they tend to be VERY boring. Eg.: flag every beep with a little wire-flag. Come back the next day to dig them up with tweezers and brushes, blah blah.

Thus yes, there's more often than not a schism between our interests, and theirs.

Welcome and happy hunting! I'm a newbie this year too and just down the road a ways from you in Garland.
I started in my yard too, found an amazing amount of clad.

Unfortunately the Anti-Metal detecting Arkies have the ear of the local governments in my area. They are scared to death that some one with a detector might rescue something from the dirt that they will leave there for the next hundred years or until it gets paved over and lost forever.

Back
Top Bottom