Broke My 100th Dollar Coin This Week, Got Choke Cherries And Gold

John-Edmonton

Elite Member

Got out for a couple of hunts this week after work. It's cooling off up here, and some parts north of here even got some snow. Anyhow, I got 4 loonies this week, which brings my total one dollar coins up to 104. I still have lots of pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters and 2 dollar coins to add into the mix. It's shaping up to be a nice clad year. I am going to purchase another gold coin in November when the coin show comes to Edmonton.

Near some of my hunting spots, the choke cherries are ripe. The native population used to crush them, dry them in the sun, mix them with buffalo fat and make a batch called pemmican, a very important food in order to survive winter.

A few years back my wife and I made some choke cherry jelly.....this year we opted to make some choke cherry leather. I mixed in some blue berries, raspberries, strawberries and apple sauce to help sweeten the batch and make more fruit leather. It should be done in another hour as I type this.

And, finally, the North Saskatchewan River is slowing down, allowing me to get on some previously flooded gravel bars. Below is a pic from yesterday's hunt.

Attachments

• friend.jpg
    friend.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 204
Gold! Love the opportunities you have up there. The choke cherries sound interesting. Congrats on your finds.

Those Dollar coins just never caught on down here John, really wished they had. Love that your back on the Gold and doing the river digs. My wife does the fruit "leather" but then cuts them into 2 inch strips. We call them fruit roll ups. Trapper

Those Dollar coins just never caught on down here John, really wished they had. Love that your back on the Gold and doing the river digs. My wife does the fruit "leather" but then cuts them into 2 inch strips. We call them fruit roll ups. Trapper

It's too bad those dollar coins never got popular. Perhaps, if you eliminated the one and two dollar bills, they might work better. There is talk about getting a new five dollar coin into circulation up here. That would really be cool.

Those fruit roll-ups turned out good.....all gone! My son is getting married this weekend in the mountains in Jasper. If the choke cherries are still available next week, I just may go out and pick some more.

All the best!

John

Gold! Love the opportunities you have up there. The choke cherries sound interesting. Congrats on your finds.

Some people at work allways ask how I have time to do all the things I do. My answer is simple.....give up your cell phone, Facebook, TV and there is a lot of time to do these things.

Once you are dead, you can spend the rest of your time doing absolutely nothing. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom