City Ordinances :(

decadude

Today was my very first day to search around a local park. I was informed that all my county parks and city parks had an ordinace against metal detecting according to one of the parks workers. The guy seemed relatively nice about it and he said it would be OK for me to search there sometimes but only in the areas that have sand.

There is only three areas with sand the rest have mulch or dirt.

This outright stinks for me. The next city closest to me is about 30 minutes away. Easy come easy go, but now it seems that I really do not have a lot of good places to hunt in my area.

Does anyone have any advice??

Get a copy of the ordinances in writing from the city and county parks departments. He may be giving you correct information, but it doesn't hurt to verify it yourself.

Here in Orlando, there's no digging in city parks, but in the county parks, you can get permission from the park ranger at each park individually.

definitely good advice

good advice as usual

well the tot lots were mulch and he specifically said he would allow me to dig in the sand which was only 4 volleyball courts.

I found a dime and a quarter today. :)

That sounds a little fishy. I would check that out. If it is true, maybe you can get it changed. On the other hand, the more you think, the more places you come up with hunt. I have only been at it a couple of months, but have a list of places that grows way faster than I can hunt.

cb

Chances are the next parks worker won't care what you do - and who's to say anything on the weekends. Here in my city you need a permit to detect - free. I sometimes get one, good for a year, but most years I dont. In my 27 years digging here I have only been asked for it twice.
Also, have you tried the middle and high schools football fields ? Steve in so az

Try local churches

I have had great luck cold calling area churches. I actually give all money back to them. I keep the original coins as my treasures, and give back the exact amount. I have yet to find anything of value but have pledged (and will stick to it) that anything of value will either be sold, or appraised, and I will give half of big finds back.

I also stress my proper digging etiquette. I even invite the secratary or Pastor to come with me and observe. I have yet to be taken up on that offer, also, I have yet to be denied permission.

This may be a little much as most likely all you'll need to do is ask politely. To each their own. Good luck. Paul

Yea, Here in Los Angeles county its illegal to dig or cut grass, trees, shrubs or any plants in all county run parks.
The city parks are open season, depending on the city of course.

I checked today

I can detect in city parks so the guy was wrong

well he was right and wrong he said all parks county and city but for me it is just county and state

I am going to ask one state park taht is about 30 minutes from me about hunting the beach area though

thanks for all the advice

Back
Top Bottom