Detecting in pea gravel

SteveW

I got permission to hunt at a local church. There is a large grass area I?m going to hit but they also have a very large parking lot with about 4 inches of small pea gravel.
Do you think it would be worth the time to check it out? I don?t know how effective it would be going thru rock.
Thanks a lot.

You can hunt the pea gravel as well as in the dirt. But be warned the finds you make there may not be all that pretty after being ground around in that small stone. I've hunted some parking areas like this, and the coins I got were in real rough shape.:shock: :( But who knows, you just might get lucky and find something that is not damaged.............YET:lol:

Thanks for the quick response hoser! At this point I really don?t care if the coins are scratched up, I just want to find something. :lol: I?m very new to the hobby and I have only played around in my back yard looking for coins that I had buried. This will be my 1st time out ?on the hunt?!

I hunted a pea gravel play area a few weeks back and whenever I'd stoop I would almost fall over. Real unstable stuff! :)

Those gravel lots are great places to hit. I have had lots of luck in them, finding silver coins, coins in general and gold/silver jewelry. I never pass one up, good luck, Steve i nso az

Pea gravel is easy hunting except for the gravel falling back in as you dig. Like was said if coin has been in there for a while it will be pretty beat up. Found my first gold ring in pea gravel.

I hunted a pea gravel playground once and it was the easiest recovery ever. Very clean and no digging tool required. But as mentioned, all the coins were beat up. Oh well, only clad.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I got to spend about 3 hours in the lot today after church. I ended up with 4 quarters, 4 dimes, six pennies and a bunch of pop tops. I'm sure most of you guys would have come up with a lot more, but I sure had a great time! I cant believe how fast the time goes when you hunting, and how fast your heart beats when you find something. I hope that never changes for me!

Way to go, Steve.
Another place you may want to try are park play-grounds. They're mostly sand or wood chip. Not much digging needed and finds are generally in good shape. I try to hit the parks at sun-up on the weekends. Noone there.

RD :cool:

Back
Top Bottom