Weekend field hunts, Large cents, indians, silver, buttons

goes4ever

Elite Member
Spent the whole weekend hunting field sites where old sites were once at.
Saturday Teverly came up to hunt with me and we hit a one room school house and a homesite, both on 1886 map....long gone now, just corn fields.

I got 3 indians, worn barber dime, several worn crusty wheats, large lock, but my favorite find of saturday was the "Free Bully Time" token from Delphos, Ohio. There has not been fairs in delphos since 1930's.

Today I went back to the field less than one mile from my house. It is a super hard field to hunt iron is insane, I had to go thru like a snail to be able to pick out anything. But it paid off nicely, got some nice buttons including a scoville eagle button. Also got 2 real nice condition Large cents. 1851, and 1854. I found them about 15 feet apart. made my day!

All weekend I used TTF and my small SEF 6x8 coil.

DSC01659.jpg

DSC01661.jpg

DSC01663.jpg

DSC01664.jpg

DSC01667.jpg

You kill me with your awesome finds. Sounds like a fun weekend.

stuff from fields is all research Richard, and getting permission for fields is so much easier than getting permission for yards! Fields is where I find my real old stuff! Crazy thing is, there are more homesite locations in the fields than houses still standing, at least 10 times as many!

Great finds!!! I'm so jealous of those large cents. One day I'll get one. :iwish::waiting: Cannot wait to find some fields to hunt.
I took your advice and did some research on some fields. Found a site that had had a one room schoolhouse years ago. Asked permission, and got a big fat NO. He was an older guy, and I don't think he had a clue what I was talking about. I was so excited when I found it, and really bummed when I got a no. Sent a letter as a follow up with my name and number and a quick note explaining what I do along with some of my best finds of the year. Hope it coaxes him into giving me a call, but I'm not holding my breath.

Love reading your posts on those field hunts and cannot wait to find one in my area that gives me permission. Until then, I'll just drool over your finds. Way to Go!!! :thumbsup::aok::bowdown:

Great finds!!! I'm so jealous of those large cents. One day I'll get one. :iwish::waiting: Cannot wait to find some fields to hunt.
I took your advice and did some research on some fields. Found a site that had had a one room schoolhouse years ago. Asked permission, and got a big fat NO. He was an older guy, and I don't think he had a clue what I was talking about. I was so excited when I found it, and really bummed when I got a no. Sent a letter as a follow up with my name and number and a quick note explaining what I do along with some of my best finds of the year. Hope it coaxes him into giving me a call, but I'm not holding my breath.

Love reading your posts on those field hunts and cannot wait to find one in my area that gives me permission. Until then, I'll just drool over your finds. Way to Go!!! :thumbsup::aok::bowdown:

if your area is like most, one room school houses were built 2 miles apart, so there is a LOT of them out there, just got to do the research, old plat maps are worth their weight in GOLD ;)

cannot wait to find one in my area that gives me permission. Until then, I'll just drool over your finds. Way to Go!!! :thumbsup::aok::bowdown:

Great finds! I just ran across an old school site tonite!

gameoftag, Have you seen these old maps? Maybe they can help you research...

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Browse/United_States/Wisconsin/Page/8/

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Browse/United_States/Wisconsin/Page/28/

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Atlas/US/10911/Ripon+1867+Bird's+Eye+View/

Excellent results from those fields! Your research and patience has paid off! The LC's are great, tough to find over here.

You are "Da Man"! If anyone says otherwise, they'll have to answer to me! :lol:

Congrats on another SUPER hunt. I have so many similar places to hunt, it's stupid. I just don't have the time now. When I'm 80? :shock:

Great finds

I often think of what seperates you from the rest of the pack..I know now. You are the most dedicated MD-er that I know. Those Large Cents are beauties. Congrats on the Barber and MAN..I love that Bullies Token. Here's to you G4E.

I took your advice and did some research on some fields. Found a site that had had a one room schoolhouse years ago. Asked permission, and got a big fat NO.

Don't get discouraged. Having lived and hunted in Wisconsin I can attest there are many people there not very open to strangers showing up. There are also a lot of people who are happy to let you hunt.

Hang in there and keep knocking.

Back
Top Bottom