Looking for backpack carrier

klaw

Hello All

I'm new to the forum....glad to be here.

I'm desperatly looking for a 'backpack' type carry bag or a compact size carry case (soft) (not the long rifle type) to transport my 'White's Classic ID' on my motorcycle. Something meant for carrying the detector disassembled.

I found a (white's) backpack type for sale on e-bay....but the ad says it wont accomodate the detector itself....but accessories and things. Looks to me like I might be able to cram it in there but I'm not so sure.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find one?

Thanks
Klaw

Welcome to the forum

I don't know of a backpack, specific to carrying a metal detector myself. My first thought would be to disassemble the detector and take some measurements. Then go out and see if any backpacks will work for ya. I keep mine in a baseball bat bag. It hold three rods with coils attached, metal detector, digging tools, headphones, etc. It only cost $20.00 at Dicks Sporting Goods. I think if you don't mind the rods sticking out the top of the backpack, you could get away with almost any backpack. I will keep my eyes open next time I am out shopping. Now that I think of it. I had a water proof duffel bag that could hold a disassembled metal detector and could be used like a backpack, but it was still about 2 1/2 feet long and about 1 1/2 feet across.

Hope you find something that works well for you. Sorry I wasn't much help.

I too have thought about something like this. I live within 2 miles of very nice sandy beaches.:D However, I do not want to pay $2 in tolls and $5 for beach parking to go metal detect.:( I am willing to ride my bike and go detecting that way.

Thanks for the reply Grump.
I contacted the guy who is selling them on e-bay. He said the only problem I might have is with the longest (lower)pole section(which I believe is about 23"). He said if I let it stick out of the top of the bag I'd be alright.

Here is a link to the e-bay item in case you are interested Felix.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITES-METAL-DE...ryZ14955QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

His ad says he has 4 available. I think I'm going to go ahead and buy one.
19.99 + shipping.....not a bad price. I contacted the manufacturer of the backpack but haven't heard back from them yet. They will construct any kind of carry bag if you supply the design. I thought about going that route.....but I'll bet that ain't cheap. Maybe I should design one and have a few made and put them up on e-bay. ; )

Thanks again you guys!

I would go to wally world and look, or try to find an old nylon tent bag to carry your stuff in.

I agree with bbqcook, a good old nylon tent bag will do and its easy to carry when you are on motorcycle. It would be so easy if you had a side-car :)

Well I purchased the backpack. I'll give a product review as soon as I get it.

You know....I also liked it b/c it has the 'White's' logo on it. ; )

Ok guys (& gals)

I just got this backpack in the mail.
Just looking at it....I think I will be able to get my ID in there. Just like the guy said....I may have to let the lower (longest) rod jet out of the top a couple inches. It has a double zipper on it so I can set the position where it works best.
What a very, very nice backpack! It has a price tag of $60.00 and casanova's price was $29.95 then it went to a sale price of $24.96 then to a 'clearance' sale price of $19.96. Well worth every penny. You guys might want to check out the e-bay link I posted. This is not an ad for the seller...... ; )
........it's just a very nice item. They may be gone....I haven't looked....said there were 4 available when I bought this one.
I have to give my machine a cleaning tonight and I will see if it will fit in the backpack. I'll report

For anyone interested....Felix?

The backpack worked out very well.
I had to leave about an inch, inch &? of the lower rod stick out of the pack aound 10 o'clock. It turns out the zippers are long enough to reach to the top of the rod (end) and I used a paper clip to secure the 2 ends of the zipper at the end of the rod.

Really it's the clevis piece that connects to the coil at the end of the rod that screws everything up. Is there some way to make it into a removable piece?
Are the plastic looking pins actually pins that will come out? Or will I make junk of it trying?
Anyone know?

Overall......very pleased with the backpack (and my Classic ID). I used to use an old Whites 5000 series 'lunchbox' style machine back in the early 80's and I just recently bought this ID and got back into the hobby and I have to say that for the casual hunter.....this Whites does everything that old lunchbox did and it's way more comfortable. I got it in mint condition on e-bay for less than a buc 50......and I just watched one tonight go for 280.00. I think I got a steal.
; )

Sounds like a real good deal for a Classic ID. Hope to see some of your finds. Sounds like the backpack worked out well. Happy hunting.

Sounds like a real good deal for a Classic ID. Hope to see some of your finds. Sounds like the backpack worked out well. Happy hunting.

Thanks Grump
I don't have a lot of time right now so I'm planning a few trips for this summer. I'm trying to combine my addiction of Small Mouth Bass fishing and Detecting. ; )
I use light tackle for the smallies all fits on my bike and the backpack now allows my to take my machine. Will make for some good fun I'm sure.

Like I said....I just got this ID but was able to take it out in my yard a few times to try it out and get used to it. I've only found a couple Wheats and a toy truck & toy gun both from around the early 50's. But I will surely post anything good if/when I find it.

Here is one for the books.
I wont bore you with the details....but I was asked by the FBI and a lead detective to assist them in a search for shell casings at a drive-by shooting a few nights ago(no injuries). They had a powder sniffing dog and ask if I would help with my detector. Didn't find anything....I suspect it was a pistol.
I did however get a great signal and just had to dig. I pulled up a penny and looked up at one of the FBI agents and said......hmm.....a 45 wheatie. She had a very distant look on her face. LOL --guessyahadtobethere

Happy hunting!

I sometimes carry a small teloscoping rod and reel when I detect along the river. I will stop and fish for ten to fifteen minutes every so often. I also am trying to figure out how to carry my detector on my motorcycle. I thought of the tent bag also, if I could just find a bag only.

Backpack

HI all. I was looking for one as well. (Backpack) I happened to be in Walmart and found an Ozark rucksack. It has plenty of pockets and my M6 fits perfectly.Here's the great part, there are tons of pockets and the bottom zips out extends inches more.Plenty of room for tools and still enough room for the ever elusive 'cache'........Happy hunting.

M6 - 1 week old........

Back
Top Bottom