New to Metal Detecting

Don

Forum Supporter
I just purchased my first metal detector. A Whites M6 Matrix. The weather had been nice here in Washington state, and I had 'Hoped' I would get some hunting in before winter set in. As luck would have it, I had to drive for 2 1/2 hours through a snow storm in Idaho to pick up my new detector. I couldn't let a little thing like snow prevent me from picking up my new toy. When I got home from Idaho it was already dark. Had about 4" of snow here, and colder than heck. I wanted so badly to try my new detector out. After taking a much deserved nap, I got up and assembled my M6. Tried it in the house, but that didn't satisfy my desire to put my M6  to work. So, yep, I bundled up and went out in the cold, dark, windy snow and hit the back yard. Hit a lot of targets, but I'm thinking mostly nails, or screws according to what I have read about the detector. I'll find out in the spring for sure. The beach is 5 hours away, and in a few weeks I will head that way. In the mean time, anyone with any helpful hints, or sites they know of that I can absorb some information on TH'ing, it would be deeply appreciated, since I'm  snowed in with metal detecting fever.  Don

Find some local parks with wood mulch playgrounds. You can practice there if the ground is frozen elsewhere. That way, by spring you will have a feel for what you should and should not dig by what signal your detector gives.

Don -
In the manual to my BH its says that inside the house there may be a lot of devices that can cause interference. Good luck with you new toy! 'Tis the season to be a kid again! :yes:

I would definitely find some practice time somewhere before I drove 5 hours to a beach. Unless of course you are going there on vacation. Chances are the beach is heavily hunted by others at various times. And not many new items will be lost during the off-season. Grass is seldom greener and you will find dome great finds near your area while you learn your detector. Another great venue is Western and Eastern treasures. Good luck and welcome to a great hobby.

Welcome to the forum Don, good to have you here with us. I've read a lot of good reviews on the M6, so you have yourself a great machine there, CONGRATS. I know all too well about not being able to get out and hunt. My season has come to an end as well. Like meteorman said, find a playground that is made from wood chips. You just might be surprised at what you find. ;)

Hello Don!

Welcome and congratulations on your new tector. I have never hated snow so much before in my life. I feel your pain man. The forum is a great place to learn and gain insight into this addiction called metal detecting. HAVE FUN :grin:

Jack

Hi Don...I'm not new to detecting just to the forum....

And yes you have a great detector for a first detector.
These guys are giving you great advice. Try to learn how the M6 works before you go that far to learn it.
If you have to go anyway ...I understand that as well...hehehe

You can do some open air testing with the machine at home. It will teach you how the detector operates, what it might sound like in the real hunt situation, and help to familiarize you withthe controls of operation.

For instance...lay your detector on a table with the coil hanging out in open air , preferably away from large metal objects.

Get you a piece of paper and your manual. Remember you won't be ground balancing in your house and these test vary a lot that way. But they will actually help you to become familiar with your detector and in the long run...That's what it's all about. Actual ground hunts with differ a bit!Remember that!
(This is for nasty weather indoor I just gotta see what it will do test!)
Turn your detector on per manual instructions, run a zinc penny across the coil...Top or bottom either or doesn't matter. about 4-6 inches away from the coil. Take note of your detector readings...write it down. Do it again and listen to the sound, be sure the penny is flat to the coil when you listen to it.

Now ...do the same test again. With the zinc penny on it's edges and about 4-6 inch's away . Listen for a difference in the sound....broken and or two tones as though your detector were reading two separate targets.....Infact it is picking up both sides of the coin...remember this sound in real life digs as it usually is a coin on edge in the dirt!

Do the same tests with Coppers, IH's,Buffalo's 5 cent, dimes,Silvers,
etc.... Remember the responses you get.

One of the most important things to learn about your detector is to believe it. Usually it won't lie to you.Or rather it can't lie to you.
Yes a detector can false, but for the most part at first just until you know better. Dig it all and see what it is, remember to recheck all holes more than once even after you've recovered an item.
Many times those jumpy signals are actual reads, unless the sensitivity is just too high.
So what I'm saying is Falses can be covering up the good stuff below it! It happens a lot so just test till your sure.
Get your coil flat and on the ground as close as possible!
Most of all dig it all, soon your detector will be speaking a language to you that is sweet!
They all work, yes some are better than others, but they are different in different areas, What you have is a great one. Learn it's language
and it will be good to you!

Hope this helps the Cabin Fever a bit! hehehe

A big welcome and congrats on the new machine. You picked a real dandy. It wasn't out yet when I bought my MXT, or I just might have one now.

Here's a couple sites to learn more about your machine-

1 An MXT board, but they sort of adopted the M6 since it is a direct descendant. Tons of good info. Read all of Monte's posts- http://www.findmall.com/list.php?25

2 The White's Forum- http://forum.treasurenet.com/whites/

Good Swingin
Kevin

I second the suggestions above about getting out to the parks and playgrounds first. You detector talks its own language and you have to learn to hear what it is saying. Dig everything at first. Learn what each thing is. Notice what pegs exactly every time, and what wavers and crackles. With some machines even certain shapes have a certain sound! I have a metal detecting friend who can tell a ring from a coin from junk, even though they all sound the same to me, and he doesn't use a meter. Become WELL acquainted with your new friend!

you may be able to play with your detector in light snow conditions if you have a small hammer and a good diggin tool it works here in boston sometimes

Welcome to the forum. The people here are great. If you have any questions or problems jump right in and remember to always have a good time. :grin:

I would like to thank everyone for their advise, comments, suggestions and time. Seems to be a great bunch of people here. I'm sure this site will be a favorite of mine. Thanks Again

Welcome Don and congrats on your new machine. I know it stinks getting your dream machine, then getting snowed in. KCK had some good ideas and you should do it to get used to your machine. Then do some research for some hunting sites. When Spring comes you'll be digging treasure for sure!

Look for those grass/dirt parking lots :yes:
As KCK said(wrote), dig everything and compare what you found to the signal you got. Use very little discrimination, just enough to ignore iron.
Happy Hunting!!!

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the purchase of a wonderful new machine--I bet you're fever will get you and soon you'll be hunting in the snow! As Bowser said with the right tools you'll probably be able to dig even hardened ground if you're willing to brave the cold--Good luck!

Terry 55 said:
Welcome Don. 2 1/2 hours through snow to get it! Yep, you got the right attitude for the hobby. :lol:

..... And it was uphill. Both ways! :lol:

novice

I'm new to metal detecting. I don't even own a metal detector yet but I hope to buy one in the near future. Any suggestions on what to buy and where to buy. I have been looking at the Minelab Quattro and White's XLT.
I plan on going to England the 5th of July until approx 17 Aug. I will be staying with my Mother-In-Law. Roman coins have been found on her farm so I thought I would give it a try. I also think I will need a hardcase to protect my detector from airport damage. Any suggestions where to buy.

Back
Top Bottom