Spanish Silver??

Metalev4

I found this silver coin about 5 inches down in Buckroe Beach Virginia. I was told that the spanish tried to grow mullberries here in the early 1700s. I have never seen anything like it, so if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated
-Ev

Attachments

• IMG_1435.jpg
    IMG_1435.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,880
  • IMG_1437.jpg
    IMG_1437.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,853
Well, it looks like spanish/mexican coin. Pics aren't that good so i'm not going to guess the date or where it was issued.

Voriax

awesome! It looks like an 8 reale to me. If only the beaches up my way had stuff like that ! JEALOUS JEALOUS JEALOUS!

Picture below is an 8 Reales of Phillip II of Spain (37mm width)
5 Tarins is 33mm
2 Escudos 25mm
1 Escudo 21mm

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 1,603
Thats a shock...my new scanner worked.
Great find. Any chance of you puuting a hard rubber over the reverse and posting the roman numerals ?

That's such a great find, and it's in pretty good condition for it's age too--Nice!

Thats a good find. Alot of the old spanish coins were cut into 1/4 or 1/2
pieces as they traded back then. Alot of them had a hole in them to carry on a string.
great find.

be careful they kicked me off the beach in Buckroe.said the navy had live bombs washing ashore. that good enough for me. try grandview it's down the street good luck

id like to find 50 of them. id really like to find a ship with them and the rest of that thats what i want. so i say maybe today the day like mel aaaa

Spanish Silver

Great find. Those are hard to find inland but there is more out there than you think. Spanish silver was used a lot before we started minting coins in 1792 or 93? I have found several in the Warsaw Virginia, even a couple of bits.

Enjoy the find. If you look closely around the edge of the coin you may be able in find where it reads -1R or maybe -2R. That indicates it is a 1 reale or 2 reale or whatever domination it is. You may not be able to tell.

Some of the spanish coins will have a small hole in the top edge. These coins are called "holed". People then would carry their coins on a string or a piece of rawhide around their neck and take it off the string when they bought something. To me that is very histroical because the spanish silver found in the ocean and on beaches do no have holes. This hole tells you that the person could have been a traveler, a trader and wanted to keep a close eye on his money.

Back
Top Bottom