Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 07-19-2019, 07:41 AM
Freshwater Shark

Default FAKE FAKE and more FAKE

Lets start with the two rings I found yesterday. One tungsten piece of junk and one huge gold plated piece of junk. Lots of fun.

Then we go on to the beautiful mid tone I got the day before yesterday. Dug up a white gold ring with diamonds. Get it on the boat and see 925 CHINA in it. LOL now we have fake silver! No way would that ring have been a mid tone if it was real silver.

And lastly, we go to people. I think getting attacked by fellow detectorists is humorous to say the least. I have always said you folks do what you feel is right and I will also. If I want to return gold that is my prerogative. If you want to be pirates and keep all you find that is yours. I even got attacked by telling folks to keep their wallets, phones and gold in their boats for the raft off in lake St Clair. LOL like many will listen. Everyone needs to enjoy this hobby the way THEY want to. if you don't like my views or my experience just move off my post.

Anyway, I am having a super busy summer. Helping folks around here has brought me a lot of satisfaction and fun. There hasn't been a day go by where I haven't been called.

I have only found one wild gold ring which I returned. Life is good. I have not gone to jail yet but had another encounter with a country club trying to claim the water. I enjoyed that. They didn't call the police, I know they knew I was right. Turned his dingy around and went back where he belonged. I don't care if you roped off a section of a public lake. That doesn't give you the right to claim it!

Anyway, I read posts and love to laugh. The cell phone one was a good example. As I sit with probably 50 or more in a box on my porch. Got to add the two I found yesterday to it. Just like all my drug paraphernalia , coke spoons, pipes and roach clips. All in a drawer.

Best ring I found this year was a 45 thousand dollar beauty. But it was a search and recovery in 17 foot of mucky water at a marina gas dock. I made a couple that were married 20 years very happy.

Everyone have a great summer and enjoy your life. You only have one to live.

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:53 AM
Elite Member

Great post. Thanks for posting. Your right about one life. Enjoy every minute and enjoy your familys. You only get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:17 AM
A Knight of the Round Coil

I went out on a hunt yesterday and started getting philosophical about detecting as I believed I wasn't going to find any gold. As I looked around at the people frolicking in the ocean, I thought what is it about this hobby that gets me out there because it definitely ain't about finding gold every time I go out. I definitely enjoy being out in the water; fresh salt air, sun, and the exercise (beating) that is water hunting. Seeing (at worst ) half naked beautiful women from all over the world isn't so bad either. Detaching from my regular life and its concerns and problems. It is a solitary pursuit and gets me into a "zenish & mindful" state. Then there's the challenge aspect of it which I think we all enjoy - the thrill of the hunt! Helping others find lost items is something I have taken great pleasure in just like Robert. The 1st thing I ever returned was a car key lost by guy that was "frolicking" overnight in the sand many years back. Since then I have returned cellphones and rings and have gotten just as much satisfaction, if not more, than the actual valuables I have kept. Finding that all elusive golden circle of perfection is just the cherry on top for me to this hobby.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:57 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by ScubaDetector View post
Lets start with the two rings I found yesterday. One tungsten piece of junk and one huge gold plated piece of junk. Lots of fun.

Then we go on to the beautiful mid tone I got the day before yesterday. Dug up a white gold ring with diamonds. Get it on the boat and see 925 CHINA in it. LOL now we have fake silver! No way would that ring have been a mid tone if it was real silver.

And lastly, we go to people. I think getting attacked by fellow detectorists is humorous to say the least. I have always said you folks do what you feel is right and I will also. If I want to return gold that is my prerogative. If you want to be pirates and keep all you find that is yours. I even got attacked by telling folks to keep their wallets, phones and gold in their boats for the raft off in lake St Clair. LOL like many will listen. Everyone needs to enjoy this hobby the way THEY want to. if you don't like my views or my experience just move off my post.

Anyway, I am having a super busy summer. Helping folks around here has brought me a lot of satisfaction and fun. There hasn't been a day go by where I haven't been called.

I have only found one wild gold ring which I returned. Life is good. I have not gone to jail yet but had another encounter with a country club trying to claim the water. I enjoyed that. They didn't call the police, I know they knew I was right. Turned his dingy around and went back where he belonged. I don't care if you roped off a section of a public lake. That doesn't give you the right to claim it!

Anyway, I read posts and love to laugh. The cell phone one was a good example. As I sit with probably 50 or more in a box on my porch. Got to add the two I found yesterday to it. Just like all my drug paraphernalia , coke spoons, pipes and roach clips. All in a drawer.

Best ring I found this year was a 45 thousand dollar beauty. But it was a search and recovery in 17 foot of mucky water at a marina gas dock. I made a couple that were married 20 years very happy.

Fisher F4 , Bountyhunter Treker IV ,BH discovery 3300, Whites TRX pinpointer, finds mostly clad nothing worth posting , just retired at the end of 2017 ,so hope I can spend a lot more time detecting in the future.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:16 PM
Supporter

I want to be like scuba when I grow up.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:50 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by jackdaniels View post
I want to be like scuba when I grow up.
Haha, I was thinking the same thing, when it comes to "goals in this hobby". Hard to argue with success. Good "wild" finds, good "reunion stories", and good attitudes towards the politics of the hobby

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:12 PM
Supporter

You have a good heart, I love that! Keep up the good work

Old 07-19-2019, 01:44 PM

I don't have much to say about this other than AMEN! Your the type of person that this hobby is blessed to have.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:30 PM
Elite Member

Thays a good thing not going to jail Robert have a great summer be safe

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

best finds to date - 1821 capped bust dime ,1853 seated quarter, (2) 1891 seated dimes, 1874 seated dime, 1887 seated dime love token , 1777 half reale ,1805 drapped bust largie, 1914 barber half dollar,1812 classic head largie, 1864 2 cent piece,(1909 barber half dollar with a 1934 walker half dollar in the same hole together)1952 ben franklin half dollar

Old 07-19-2019, 04:48 PM
Elite Member

Great post! I feel the same way when I go out detecting. It just connects me with life in the very best way. Good luck to all!

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:11 PM
Elite Member

Too bad about the fakes Scuba, glad you are staying so busy doing recoveries. Feel free to contact me if you get a job in my neck of the woods that you don't have time for, Good luck this season.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:40 AM
Elite Member

I had planned and hoped to do a lot of water hunting this year but now I am rethinking that plan. Already this year just down the coast we have had a death from vibrio bacteria and that guy didn't even get in the water. He was only crabbing. This is becoming way too common. Vibrio apparently likes warm saltwater and the gulf coast has it in spades. It is like bath water already. The safe answer is wearing waders and that is less than desirable in 100 heat. You guys that have nice cool water and actual surf on the beaches should really appreciate what you have.

Cliff

Old 07-21-2019, 12:54 PM
Supporter

And lastly, we go to people........
Nicely said. I could save myself lots of time and go to the coin or pawn shop if it was about the "stuff" or money. Stop by a junk shop and scrap yard on the way home to get a bucket of old odds and ends and scrap metal. Some people just have to have an angle on anything. Maybe it's why they hunt in the first place. If they see a chance to make a buck they'll do it, even if they don't need it. Or, they turn it into a competition and they're the only one actually playing.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:50 PM

I agree w u 100% ! Enjoy your posts and hope for many more to come.
There are a lot of unhappy people in the World...perhaps that's why I enjoy detecting so much - it is a pleasurable escape and I don't have to listen to anyone [and don't give a darn about people looking at me while I detect].