What's Better Than Flying Reindeer?

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
Some of you may recall that it seems likely that I lost my wedding band in a farm field I was hunting a couple weeks ago. Since then, any time I've had available to detect has gone toward sweeping that field in the hopes of finding the ring. Forum member Dan B. joined me on Sunday for a couple hours on a dedicated ring search, and other than a couple railroad spikes and a few iron relics, no joy.

Christmas eve day I went out again on my own for a couple more hours to grid out another area for the ring search. This time I decided to open up the audible signal range a little wider in case I had things too narrow for the ring. Well, long story short, no Christmas miracle for the wedding band, but I did eventually get over a pretty sounding 16 signal, solid all the way around. That was a little too high to match the ring, and indicated too deep - the ring should be at or dang close to the surface. So I took a quick break from the ring search to dig, and about 4-5" down located a penny sized coin! It was coated in dirt and seemed a little toasty, but by the thickness and the VDI number I assumed it was a fatty Indian since I know the later, higher copper Indians ring up in the 19 range. "Cool!" I thought, and quickly tucked it in my pouch - then I went back to my main task of the ring search.

Once I got home I had a chance to look more closely at the coin - the front was completely caked in dirt, but on the back I could barely make out "One Cent" in the center of some of the laurel wreath...but I suddenly realized I couldn't see any sign of a shield from the reverse of a typical Indian! I immediately got excited, thinking Flying Eagle! Sure enough, an 1858 Flying Eagle Cent was revealed after cleaning using wooden toothpicks and meat skewers, light buffing with 0000 steel wool, and a coat of Renaissance Wax! It's a little toasty, but not bad for a coin with the composition of a nickel hiding in the dirt for 150 years or so! It's only my second Flying Eagle - I got a '57 in November last year, so I guess I have a complete set now :cool:

So still no ring for me, and I didn't spot any flying reindeer on Christmas Eve, but I'll take a Flying Eagle for a consolation prize ;)

Attachments

• FlyingEagleDirtyFront.jpg
    FlyingEagleDirtyFront.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 560
  • FlyingEagleDirtyBack.jpg
    FlyingEagleDirtyBack.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 532
  • FlyingEagle1858Front.jpg
    FlyingEagle1858Front.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 528
  • FlyingEagle1858Back.jpg
    FlyingEagle1858Back.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 510
:wow2: congrats flying eagle number 2. It sure did clean up nice. That is something I have never found.

Glad I had time to help look for your ring. Never a problem. Wish we would have found it.

Congrats on the flying eagle, a stellar find for sure and you managed 2 this year. Hope you find your ring soon. HH Mark

Congrats on the FE cent. I have found only one '58 large letter variety. I know you look for the shield, however the 1859 Indian uses the same reverse as the FE cent. It was changed in 1860.

:wow2: congrats flying eagle number 2. It sure did clean up nice. That is something I have never found.

Glad I had time to help look for your ring. Never a problem. Wish we would have found it.

Thanks, Dan! It's the first coin I've gotten out of that site so far, but it's sure a neat one!

And many thanks for taking the time to help with the ring search - I'm sure it was more fun than the trip into work later, at least!

Congrats on the flying eagle!

Thanks, RRF!

Super find, congrats

Thanks, MuddyMo!

That's totally Amazing, a bucketlister for sure. Hope you find your ring next time.

Congrats on the Flying Eagle, really nice job on the clean up. Hope you do recovery the Ring sometime in the future. Trapper

Thanks Kingman and Trapper! I figured "less is more" was the way to go in terms of cleaning - they're kind of tough to clean since they have so much nickel in them. They have more in common with nickels than the later copper small cents. I'm happy with the results!

And thanks for the well wishes for the ring hunt - I'm confident if it's in that field and I can get my coil over it, I'll find it!

Great find.

Thanks, waltr!

Congrats on the Flying Eagle...a excellent dig!

Thanks, Capt Silver - it sure was a fun dig, and it kept getting even better as the excitement grew once I got it home and realized it might be something other than in Indian Head. Don't get me wrong, I love IHPs as cool finds too...but the excitement and satisfaction as the wooden skewers gradually revealed the eagle was a special feeling!

Congrats on the flying eagle, a stellar find for sure and you managed 2 this year. Hope you find your ring soon. HH Mark

Thanks, Mark! Just to be clear, it was my second FE, but the first one came in November 2017, a little over a year ago. Still probably a pretty good find rate though - it may be years before I see another one :grin:

I'm pretty confident with the way I've been gridding the field, that if I don't find it soon, then the ring just isn't there. The only worry with that is I'm out of ideas on places where it could be - hopefully it'll turn up in some bizarre place in the house!

Nice! Time wasn't as kind to my FE :no:

Thanks, Gauntlet! Yeah, it seems like none of the FEs fare very well underground - even though they're 88% copper, the nickel content makes them corrode more like an old nickel than a copper penny. I consider myself extremely fortunate not only for finding it, but also for being able to still get identifiable detail, let alone a date!

Congratulations on such a rare save!

Thanks matmit!

I like that coin. Congrats.

Thanks metaladdict! It really is a pretty neat, unique coin design - the first one I found, I had no idea what it was until I looked it up!

Congrats on the FE cent. I have found only one '58 large letter variety. I know you look for the shield, however the 1859 Indian uses the same reverse as the FE cent. It was changed in 1860.

Thanks rusty! You're absolutely right - the first year of "fatty" Indian (1859) lacked the shield too - I didn't know that until I Googled both the Flying Eagle and Indian Head just before starting to clean it - I wanted to try and figure out what I was dealing with before I started. It definitely added to the suspense of whether it was an FE or an IHP as I cleaned the crud off the front!!

But I didn't realize that there were different varieties of FE cents within each mint year - I'll have to try and figure out which I've got. Looks like I might not have a complete set after all - I'm gonna have to find more! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom